Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: Australia v England - Coaching

  1. #46
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,848
    I feel strongly about AB and the banning of the WAGs.

    As outlined by Stuart MacGill (who is a very angry man about most things, I guess lol), the WAGs did have an impact on the 2005 Ashes tour where he stated that he'd go down to the hotel bar at the end of a day's play for a soft drink, and find that there was nobody there to have a drink or meal with - as they'd all gone off to do their own thing.

    As Warne eluded to in the Heradld Sun today, these guys in the current side should not be shooting off straight after stumps to do their own thing but rather spending time together in the dressing room after play and in the hotel at night. They are unfamiliar with each other and as a consequence, as Steve Waugh said in the paper today, there is no sense of 'team' among this current group.

    Yes, the WAGs can sleep over, but should not be subtracting from the time the guys need to spend together in dressing rooms and at the hotel after play.

    A little thing, yes, but when you're ranked 5th, you need to get a whole lot of little things right to bridge the gap.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  2. #47
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,826
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I feel strongly about AB and the banning of the WAGs.

    As outlined by Stuart MacGill (who is a very angry man about most things, I guess lol), the WAGs did have an impact on the 2005 Ashes tour where he stated that he'd go down to the hotel bar at the end of a day's play for a soft drink, and find that there was nobody there to have a drink or meal with - as they'd all gone off to do their own thing.

    As Warne eluded to in the Heradld Sun today, these guys in the current side should not be shooting off straight after stumps to do their own thing but rather spending time together in the dressing room after play and in the hotel at night. They are unfamiliar with each other and as a consequence, as Steve Waugh said in the paper today, there is no sense of 'team' among this current group.

    Yes, the WAGs can sleep over, but should not be subtracting from the time the guys need to spend together in dressing rooms and at the hotel after play.

    A little thing, yes, but when you're ranked 5th, you need to get a whole lot of little things right to bridge the gap.

    Quite true actually. I know for a fact that once they get off at the hotel after the days play they all go and do what they want with the WAGs
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  3. #48
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,848
    Exactly.

    That's not good.

  4. #49
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,826
    Aside from the days play, they only spend time together at the teams breakfast


  5. #50
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,221
    The settled team that England has is also a huge boon to them in comparison to our mob. Even today, players have their designated roles in the field, and who should be shining the ball. They keep getting it into the right man's hands (Cook, from memory) who helps get it in a condition for reverse swing; fast bowlers bowl cross-seamed deliveries to work to a plan.

    I couldn't see an Australian bowler doing that at the moment, because if someone else reaps the rewards of their work in scuffing up the ball, then they could be out on their arse. I can't see us having someone being a designated ball shiner (maybe that's the reason North was held onto for so long...). We get reverse and look to bowl yorkers and search for wickets; Anderson (and others) get it right by still gnawing away at the batsman.

    On another note, I remember mentioning in the first or second thread about how Finn looked great, but seemed a bit impatient - his plan to get someone out seemed to be contained within about 4-6 balls, and would last no more than an over. Think it's pretty much been that all series for Australia, where they're not prepared to bang away for overs at a time before searching for a wicket. If they want to get someone out hooking, then you put a bloke back and bowl at least two bouncers that over. If that doesn't work, it's onto a new plan. The lack of patience is further compounded when Johnson is one of your bowlers.

  6. #51
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,144
    Agree and disagree about the WAGs. It's important for the guys to spend time together to bond as a team, but the guys need their own space as well. I'd get cabin fever spending 2-3 months with the same people.

  7. #52
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Agree and disagree about the WAGs. It's important for the guys to spend time together to bond as a team, but the guys need their own space as well. I'd get cabin fever spending 2-3 months with the same people.
    Yep. The idea that the players don't spend enough time in each other's company in the course of an Ashes series strikes me as strange. For weeks and months on end they travel together, play together, train together and sit in a dressing room together. I don't see why, on top of that, they need to spend all evening gazing into each others' eyes.

  8. #53
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,848
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yep. The idea that the players don't spend enough time in each other's company in the course of an Ashes series strikes me as strange. For weeks and months on end they travel together, play together, train together and sit in a dressing room together. I don't see why, on top of that, they need to spend all evening gazing into each others' eyes.
    lol

    we were saying after a day's play in the dressing room, and meals and a drink together at night - during Tests.

  9. #54
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Australia has not only been outplayed in this Ashes series but they have also been a distant 2nd best when it comes to planning and improving through the course of the 5 tests.
    I certainly think that whether a player is making a basic error or a major one, its still upto the coach to point it out to him and make sure he doesn't repeat it again.
    So as a result we saw Watson being involved in three run-outs, the top order getting knocked over in identical fashion over and over again and of course the none of the fast bowlers ever bothered to bowl in the batsman's half.
    Hence it was almost like watching the same game over and over again, because there wasn't a slightest hint of improvement in the performance of any player and coaching staff is surely to be blamed for that to some extent.

  10. #55
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,755
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    lol

    we were saying after a day's play in the dressing room, and meals and a drink together at night - during Tests.
    It is an interesting point - I know that early in the tour the England team were going out together for meals and enjoying each other's company and it started well.

    Then the families arrived (just before Perth) - wonder how much of a short-term effect that had on performances? (it's understandable that they would want to spend time with their family after not seeing them for so long though)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #56
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    I find it hard to believe it makes any kind of difference tbh. Some players might feel a greater sense of team spirit, others might miss their loved ones and feel a bit low, perhaps it occasionally affects a player's performance one way or the other but meh. Not worth worrying about when you could be practicing catching.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  12. #57
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,512
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    The settled team that England has is also a huge boon to them in comparison to our mob. Even today, players have their designated roles in the field, and who should be shining the ball. They keep getting it into the right man's hands (Cook, from memory) who helps get it in a condition for reverse swing; fast bowlers bowl cross-seamed deliveries to work to a plan.

    I couldn't see an Australian bowler doing that at the moment, because if someone else reaps the rewards of their work in scuffing up the ball, then they could be out on their arse. I can't see us having someone being a designated ball shiner (maybe that's the reason North was held onto for so long...). We get reverse and look to bowl yorkers and search for wickets; Anderson (and others) get it right by still gnawing away at the batsman.

    On another note, I remember mentioning in the first or second thread about how Finn looked great, but seemed a bit impatient - his plan to get someone out seemed to be contained within about 4-6 balls, and would last no more than an over. Think it's pretty much been that all series for Australia, where they're not prepared to bang away for overs at a time before searching for a wicket. If they want to get someone out hooking, then you put a bloke back and bowl at least two bouncers that over. If that doesn't work, it's onto a new plan. The lack of patience is further compounded when Johnson is one of your bowlers.
    The way they got the ball to reverse after about 20 overs at both Sydney and Melbourne was bloody impressive.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  13. #58
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,144
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    It is an interesting point - I know that early in the tour the England team were going out together for meals and enjoying each other's company and it started well.

    Then the families arrived (just before Perth) - wonder how much of a short-term effect that had on performances? (it's understandable that they would want to spend time with their family after not seeing them for so long though)
    I can only speak from my own experience of interailing around Europe for a month with my flatmates, but there comes a point where you're sick of travelling and sick of spending so much time in each other's pockets. And in my limited experience as a father, I couldn't spend that long away from the missus and my daughter without it seriously affecting me.

  14. #59
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,512
    I have to disagree with howardj here. Extended periods away will naturally lead to worries about families etc - it's a distraction that they, who are after all still human beings - don't need.

  15. #60
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I can only speak from my own experience of interailing around Europe for a month with my flatmates, but there comes a point where you're sick of travelling and sick of spending so much time in each other's pockets. And in my limited experience as a father, I couldn't spend that long away from the missus and my daughter without it seriously affecting me.
    I think there's a balance to be struck. Remeber, a cricket tour is a buisness trip, not a holiday and people who go on buinsess trips don't get their families sent with them. That said, it is a long trip. Team spirit seemed good, so I guess they got the balance right this time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-01-2010, 04:55 PM
  2. Australia v Pakistan Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 02:02 AM
  3. ***Official***Ashes 2009 in England
    By dossa in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-05-2009, 12:32 AM
  4. Australia under 19 vs india under 19
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 13-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •