Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Australia v England - Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I seriously love Stuart Clark in the media.

Brilliant article. Such good insight.
    Never read anything by him before. Is it him, or is it ghosted? A well-written and interesting piece

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    He's a smart bloke, has a commerce degree from Sydney Uni IIRC, so I would suspect that it's just him writing. Certainly a good columnist though, love his stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Must have finished his masters by now too, yeah?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Have a friend of mine who studied with Stuart Clark actually.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's not a perfect measure, no. & nor is dismissals effected by a keeper, but Prior is comfortably ahead of Haddin in that too. &, whilst some of the bye calls have been a bit harsh on Haddin, he's often in no sort of position to even get to the ball when it's fired down leg because his balance is wrong.

It could be Haddin has again not done himself justice, but after two series of being outkept by his opposite number the evidence starts to weigh against him. Fine batsman; mediocre keeper. IMHO, obvz.
    Having watched Haddin and Prior at reasonably close quarters over the last week or so, I think the biggest differential between the two of them has been footwork. Prior is lighter on his feet, quicker to move across and quite possibly anticipating more effectively: this means tha he is in the right place more often and more quickly, meaning the takes are easier and the dives have to come out less. His rhythm seems spot on at the moment, and it's great that we've put the w/k position worry to bed for the first time post-Stewart.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Having watched Haddin and Prior at reasonably close quarters over the last week or so, I think the biggest differential between the two of them has been footwork. Prior is lighter on his feet, quicker to move across and quite possibly anticipating more effectively: this means tha he is in the right place more often and more quickly, meaning the takes are easier and the dives have to come out less. His rhythm seems spot on at the moment, and it's great that we've put the w/k position worry to bed for the first time post-Stewart.
    There was some mention recently on Sky about instances where to make similar stops Haddin had dived whereas Prior hadn't had to.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Prior has just improved so much from the leaden footed hard gloved oaf he was a few years ago. He made Geraint Jones look capable when he came into the side so you have to give him credit for the improvements he has made.

Another feather in the cap of a certain Mr Moores who deserves some of the stick he got but in giving Prior a chance, recalling Swann from the wilderness and promoting Anderson to attack leader he made three bold calls which longterm have proved spot on and improved the side massively.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Never read anything by him before. Is it him, or is it ghosted? A well-written and interesting piece
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    He's a smart bloke, has a commerce degree from Sydney Uni IIRC, so I would suspect that it's just him writing. Certainly a good columnist though, love his stuff.
    Would definitely be ghosted. Having a close journo friend, I know that pretty much all celebrity columns are ghost written, particularly with Fairfax.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 05-01-2011 at 05:59 AM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Prior has just improved so much from the leaden footed hard gloved oaf he was a few years ago. He made Geraint Jones look capable when he came into the side so you have to give him credit for the improvements he has made.

Another feather in the cap of a certain Mr Moores who deserves some of the stick he got but in giving Prior a chance, recalling Swann from the wilderness and promoting Anderson to attack leader he made three bold calls which longterm have proved spot on and improved the side massively.
    As a selector I think he was decent. Get the impression he fell down on the actual coaching and man-management side of things.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah AWTA entirely. From my perspective as a Sussex fan, I have a huge regard for what he achieved with us, turning a perennially god-awful team into the best side in the country. Lancs did well to snap him up when he received the boot from England. It may take him a while but I'd tip him to get them the Championship at some stage in the relatively near future.

So it's pretty clear that a few of our batsman don't know some of the extreme basics of cricket - stuff that some kids don't even need to be told how to do.

Stuff like "run the first one hard" and "call loud" and "don't watch the ball".

How much blame should the coaching staff take for this?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

vcs
    You wouldn't expect some of this stuff from Bangladesh (I'm doing them a disservice by even bringing them up in comparison as they've been quite professional in the last few years). Shocking. Mentally, Australia (or atleast some of their players) seem to have crumbled.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So it's pretty clear that a few of our batsman don't know some of the extreme basics of cricket - stuff that some kids don't even need to be told how to do.

Stuff like "run the first one hard" and "call loud" and "don't watch the ball".

How much blame should the coaching staff take for this?
    All of it.

As an international cricket you should know all these, however it's the coach's job to make sure the team is doing these things properly. Look at the change in England since Andy Flower has become coach, they are a much better drilled team.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Was listening to the ABC the other day and Terry Alderman reckons Watson is somebody with very little cricket smarts. He's a damn fine cricketer, but doesn't have great cricket awareness. He makes fundamental, stupid, schoolboy errors. One such example is that virtually every time he is involved in a run out, he's not watching his partner's movements. This should be an instinctive thing but nevertheless the coaches should be reemphasising to him that he needs to watch what his partner is doing.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Have to agree regarding Watson, have heard similar before.

Don't see how you can hold the coaching staff responsible for that run-out, it's just awful horrible cricket. If Tim Nielsen has to worry about getting blokes to call rather than devising plans, then we're going to need 180 coaches on hand.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information