Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man of the Series

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Man of the Series

Okay, so there's still a Test to go so it might well change, but I figured we could start discussing now.

I believe in Australia there is only an overall MOTS, but do feel free to do things the English way and nominate one from each side.

I'd say the main contenders would have to be Cook, Hussey, Trott and Anderson, but would give Cook the edge at the minute. However, a big performance at Sydney from any of the other three and maybe they get the edge. Hard to see anyone else forcing their way into the reckoning, maybe Pietersen if he does something REALLY special?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Tremmers to take all 20 and slap a ton. He'll get it.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Those four are definitely the favourites.

Pietersen would have do do something phenomenal to catch up. Tremlett is an outside possibility, if he puts in another great performance he could end up with 20+ wickets at a sub-20 average, which would be seriously hard to ignore.

But if any of Cook, Trott or Hussey make another hundred they are nailed on.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

I wouldn't give it to Hussey if he makes a ton and Australia don't win the Test - it has to be someone from the superior team, England.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I dunno, Vaughan managed to get it in 02-03

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    If you don't win the series you really should need to have an exceptional series to walk away with the award. If Hussey gets a ton and another score in the second innings, even if Australia lose, he's got to be in with a shout. However, with those three Englishmen right in the frame, one of those would be expected to have a decent Test at Sydney to pip him if England win or draw the game.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I dunno, Vaughan managed to get it in 02-03
    Did he really, I'm surprised by that.

Still the fact that Cook and Trott in particular have been so immense this series, I don't think Huss deserves it unless they have a joint award or Australia win the final Test.

I'd be quite happy if it were to go to Hussey, assuming he has a good game at Sydney. Australia would have been in utter disarray in this series had it not been for his rebuilding jobs from number 5.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Ricky Ponting. TBH.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Ricky Ponting. TBH.
    Lol.. Was waiting for it.

Xavier Doherty or Hilf ftw.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I don't think it should be about who is on the winning or losing team, but overall who has had the most impact on the series, individually. It might be 4-0 if not for Hussey, yet if Cook failed a little more others would be there to pick up the slack and the scoreline might still be 2-1. That said Cook would be a very worthy winner irrespective of what happens in the next Test.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I don't think it should be about who is on the winning or losing team, but overall who has had the most impact on the series, individually. It might be 4-0 if not for Hussey, yet if Cook failed a little more others would be there to pick up the slack and the scoreline might still be 2-1. That said Cook would be a very worthy winner irrespective of what happens in the next Test.
    Yes in theory you're right, but invariably such awards go to players that have won matches for their side rather than ones that have excelled in a losing cause, rightly or wrongly. Should Trott have a good Test at Sydney he may receive some hard earned recognition for filling a position that England have struggled with so much in recent years.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Michael Beer for being the first player to score 200 and take 20 wickets in a Test match, an inidvidual effort that eclipses the results of the series as a whole.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cook deserves the edge. They won't give it to Hussey as he plays for Australia, Anderson's bowled really well but his figures aren't all that, although Trott should get it if he scores another ton.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Has to be Cook, regardless of what happens in the 5th test.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information