• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Series

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, so there's still a Test to go so it might well change, but I figured we could start discussing now.

I believe in Australia there is only an overall MOTS, but do feel free to do things the English way and nominate one from each side.

I'd say the main contenders would have to be Cook, Hussey, Trott and Anderson, but would give Cook the edge at the minute. However, a big performance at Sydney from any of the other three and maybe they get the edge. Hard to see anyone else forcing their way into the reckoning, maybe Pietersen if he does something REALLY special?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Those four are definitely the favourites.

Pietersen would have do do something phenomenal to catch up. Tremlett is an outside possibility, if he puts in another great performance he could end up with 20+ wickets at a sub-20 average, which would be seriously hard to ignore.

But if any of Cook, Trott or Hussey make another hundred they are nailed on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wouldn't give it to Hussey if he makes a ton and Australia don't win the Test - it has to be someone from the superior team, England.

Woodster

International Captain
If you don't win the series you really should need to have an exceptional series to walk away with the award. If Hussey gets a ton and another score in the second innings, even if Australia lose, he's got to be in with a shout. However, with those three Englishmen right in the frame, one of those would be expected to have a decent Test at Sydney to pip him if England win or draw the game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dunno, Vaughan managed to get it in 02-03
Did he really, I'm surprised by that.

Still the fact that Cook and Trott in particular have been so immense this series, I don't think Huss deserves it unless they have a joint award or Australia win the final Test.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be quite happy if it were to go to Hussey, assuming he has a good game at Sydney. Australia would have been in utter disarray in this series had it not been for his rebuilding jobs from number 5.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't think it should be about who is on the winning or losing team, but overall who has had the most impact on the series, individually. It might be 4-0 if not for Hussey, yet if Cook failed a little more others would be there to pick up the slack and the scoreline might still be 2-1. That said Cook would be a very worthy winner irrespective of what happens in the next Test.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think it should be about who is on the winning or losing team, but overall who has had the most impact on the series, individually. It might be 4-0 if not for Hussey, yet if Cook failed a little more others would be there to pick up the slack and the scoreline might still be 2-1. That said Cook would be a very worthy winner irrespective of what happens in the next Test.
Yes in theory you're right, but invariably such awards go to players that have won matches for their side rather than ones that have excelled in a losing cause, rightly or wrongly. Should Trott have a good Test at Sydney he may receive some hard earned recognition for filling a position that England have struggled with so much in recent years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Michael Beer for being the first player to score 200 and take 20 wickets in a Test match, an inidvidual effort that eclipses the results of the series as a whole.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook deserves the edge. They won't give it to Hussey as he plays for Australia, Anderson's bowled really well but his figures aren't all that, although Trott should get it if he scores another ton.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cook's probably the racing fav on sheer weight of runs. Huss not far behind, but did fail twice at the MCG.

Spark

Global Moderator
I reckon if Anderson has a very good game then he'd be quite a deserving candidate. He'd be my pick anyway.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd probably go with Anderson as it stands tbh.

It's fair to ask what Cook has to do before I'd pick him. Learn to bowl. I just think they could have retained the Ashes without Cook's contributions more easily than they could have without Anderson's.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well IMO MOTS = man who had most impact, and whilst statistically Cook is the standout, the Ashes was won by England putting down our top order and for that Anderson takes the major credit.