• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Series

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think if anything it gives me a greater appreciation of guys like Mark Taylor who have put up epic numbers in past series. The fact that Cook would still have to score another 70 or so runs to surpass Taylor's series output in 1989 makes me appreciate what an incredible effort that must have been.
Six Tests though, yeah?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Six Tests though, yeah?
That's my point though, say England don't bat again this Test and the teams were rocking up in Hobart next week for a 6th Test. Despite his awesomeness, Cook would still need to score 70 odd to match Taylor. Watching Cook this series makes you appreciate how awesome Taylor must have been in 1989, although I doubt I'd have seen it that way.

Warne's 2005 series means I can appreciate how awesome an effort 40 wickets is. Cook's done the equivelant for batting. Ridiculous that Hussey is about 200 shy of his series total.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's my point though, say England don't bat again this Test and the teams were rocking up in Hobart next week for a 6th Test. Despite his awesomeness, Cook would still need to score 70 odd to match Taylor.
Cook is averaging 128 this series. I see what you mean, in that it becomes harder and harder to keep going for more Tests, but I'd go with 70 in the next match. His efforts are certainly in the same vein as Taylor's.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The frightening thing is that in 89 Taylor went virtually unnoticed till very late in the series as all the focus in the media early on was on Waugh who was averaging about 350 once we finally got him out for the first time in the series in the 3rd test at Headingley. Our media with their love affair of slating Gower at the time basically ignored Tubbs until they finally woke up and realised he was having one of the greatest series of all time.

The fact Hussey has basically done what Vaughan did 8 years ago and been a one man band needs bigging up though. He has been superb as well.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
The frightening thing is that in 89 Taylor went virtually unnoticed till very late in the series as all the focus in the media early on was on Waugh who was averaging about 350 once we finally got him out for the first time in the series in the 3rd test at Headingley. Our media with their love affair of slating Gower at the time basically ignored Tubbs until they finally woke up and realised he was having one of the greatest series of all time.

The fact Hussey has basically done what Vaughan did 8 years ago and been a one man band needs bigging up though. He has been superb as well.
An excellent point on Huss. Cook has had three teammates average 60+ in this series, Hussey has had none.

chalky

International Debutant
Interesting that Taylor, in his series of greatness only passed 100 twice.
One of my earliest cricket memories is Taylor & Marsh batting for the full day in 89. The 89 series was a beating makes the current one look like Ali Frazier in terms of competativeness.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cook:

7 innings, 1 not out, 766 runs, average 127.66, 3 hundreds

Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Khawaja, Clarke, North, Johnson and Smith put together:

40 innings, 1 not out, 759 runs, average 19.46, 0 hundreds

:blink:

flibbertyjibber

Cook:

7 innings, 1 not out, 766 runs, average 127.66, 3 hundreds

Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Khawaja, Clarke, North, Johnson and Smith put together:

40 innings, 1 not out, 759 runs, average 19.46, 0 hundreds

:blink:
Says as much about both bowling units too as it does the batsmen involved.

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Yeah and you had 2 buggers who did the same in 89 in Taylor and Waugh. Shows how great they were that year that only Vaughan and Cook since have had anything like a series like that.
Jones also carved up in that series and Border averaged over 70.

Burgey

Well he MoTS will have to be Siddle you'd reckon, after tomorrow's 266*(88) and 9-16 (4.1) to get us home by 18 runs with an over and a half to spare....

MattO

Cricket Spectator
MULTIPLE 500+ RUNS

MA Taylor (Aus) 6 11 1 839 219 83.90 2 5 0 1989
DM Jones (Aus) 6 9 1 566 157 70.75 2 3 1 1989 -- 6 Tests
RA Smith (Eng) 5 10 1 553 143 61.44 2 3 1 1989
SR Waugh (Aus) 6 8 4 506 177* 126.50 2 1 1 1989

GA Gooch (Eng) 6 12 0 673 133 56.08 2 4 0 1993
DC Boon (Aus) 6 10 2 555 164* 69.37 3 1 2 1993 -- 6 Tests
MA Atherton (Eng) 6 12 0 553 99 46.08 0 6 0 1993
ME Waugh (Aus) 6 10 1 550 137 61.11 1 5 0 1993

2010-11
AN Cook (Eng) 5 7 1 766 235* 127.66 3 2 0 2010-11
MEK Hussey (Aus) 5 9 0 570 195 63.33 2 3 1 2010-11

King Pietersen

International Captain
As much as I appreciate the efforts of Alastair Cook, he has been magnificent, my MOTS would have to be James Anderson. Jimmeh has been simply superb. He's led the attack brilliantly, taken key wickets and just generally bowled beautifully all series. I wouldn't be at all bothered if Cook gets it, but for me, it's Jimmy all the way.

Howe_zat

Audio File
As much as I appreciate the efforts of Alastair Cook, he has been magnificent, my MOTS would have to be James Anderson. Jimmeh has been simply superb. He's led the attack brilliantly, taken key wickets and just generally bowled beautifully all series. I wouldn't be at all bothered if Cook gets it, but for me, it's Jimmy all the way.
Jimmy has played a phenomenal series, and I usually vouch for the bowlers in these things. But Cook has gone so far above and beyond what was expected of him, that's what clinches it for me.