• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get off Ricky's back!

Juanjo99

Cricket Spectator
Have Aussies taken over the whingeing role from the Poms? Get off Ricky Ponting's back you bad-losing wusses! He is one of the best captains Australia has had over the last couple of decades!

So he is going through a bad time at the moment- so what? He is still one of the best bats in the game, his team leadership is second to none and he never gives up the fight to win. the game and series in hand.

Give him some respect and stop kicking the fella when he is down, as you are doing the Aussie reputation for sportsmanship no good with the continuous bitching just because you lost the Ashes.

(From a Brit).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have Aussies taken over the whingeing role from the Poms? Get off Ricky Ponting's back you bad-losing wusses! He is one of the best captains Australia has had over the last couple of decades!
Yes indeed; he'd comfortably make my top five Australian Test captains of the last 20 years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting has always been honest, that's the problem. He was most definitely honest with Duncan Fletcher. Many umpires have been on the receiving end of Ponting's honest thoughts too.

We always hear about whatever it is he's upset about, and many are sick to death of it.

It was amazing juxtaposing how Graeme Smith (not exactly known for being a gentleman captain) handled a horrible decision by the umpires off Steyn's bowling to Zaheer (plumb LBW) a day after Ponting blew up over a far far far more reasonable mistake (if it was a mistake at all!)

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting has always been honest, that's the problem. He was most definitely honest with Duncan Fletcher. Many umpires have been on the receiving end of Ponting's honest thoughts too.

We always hear about whatever it is he's upset about, and many are sick to death of it.
yawn.

We always hear about it because he directly answers questions, and I imagine you'd criticise him if he didn't answer truthfuly either

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It was amazing juxtaposing how Graeme Smith (not exactly known for being a gentleman captain) handled a horrible decision by the umpires off Steyn's bowling to Zaheer (plumb LBW) a day after Ponting blew up over a far far far more reasonable mistake (if it was a mistake at all!)
I imagine Ponting is under a lot more pressure and media scrutiny than Smith so I'm prepared to give some leeway. While not entirely excusable, considering the circumstances surrounding the blow up, I don't feel crucifying ricky is fair.

I think it's quite telling that the media focused on his blow up than the miserable Australian performance

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yawn.

We always hear about it because he directly answers questions, and I imagine you'd criticise him if he didn't answer truthfuly either
Wonder what question Duncan Fletcher asked him back in 05 following his run out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it's quite telling that the media focused on his blow up than the miserable Australian performance
Not really. For all the problems with the Australian cricket media, they dislike their captains acting like dickheads. Ponting did that whilst getting thumped... of course it's going to receive attention.

Not sure if you read any papers on 27 December, but there was plenty of emphasis on Australia's miserable performance.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Duncan Fletcher is a clueless tosser. :laugh: At basing an argument against ponting based on that bloke

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
i'm punta's biggest fan but what took place with Dar was disgraceful tbh.It's sad really that he always seems to lose the plot onfield when the things start to drift away.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. For all the problems with the Australian cricket media, they dislike their captains acting like dickheads. Ponting did that whilst getting thumped... of course it's going to receive attention.

Not sure if you read any papers on 27 December, but there was plenty of emphasis on Australia's miserable performance.
Yeah I read the papers, but the TV news focused quite a lot on his blow up rather than another **** bowling performance.

Aside from this, I'm not slamming Ponting because I can understand that frustrations can sometimes boil over.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Duncan Fletcher is a clueless tosser. :laugh: At basing an argument against ponting based on that bloke
What are you talking about?

Are you honestly trying to argue that Ponting has only had one or two blowups in his career?

You're off the planet. I don't need to "base an argument". It's friggin public record that Ponting has been in hot water as captain plenty of times.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
i'm punta's biggest fan but what took place with Dar was disgraceful tbh.It's sad really that he always seems to lose the plot onfield when the things start to drift away.
Can you really blame him considering the circumstances for loosing his cool?

Scoring no runs himself
His team just got rolled for under 100
England are putting on an Ashes securing total
The bowlers are getting thumped

Then another thing goes against him

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain

Scoring no runs himself

he should not lose it mate thats the trick.I cant see Waugh or Taylor doing the same if they were in his place.
Like i said im not angry at him for his act i just feel so sorry for the man and the mess he's in.

Blaze 18

Banned

Scoring no runs himself

So what ? Failing with bat gives him the license to have a go at umpires ? It was a decision made by the third umpire for Christ's sake; there was nothing Aleem Dar or anyone else could do about it. It was disgraceful behaviour, there are no two ways about it.