Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get off Ricky's back!

Cricket Spectator

Dissension

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Because the conduct of professional sportsmen directly result in enjoyment of the game for many people.

Additionally it affects how people play the game at lower levels.
    Too true! As a qualified umpire, I get pissed off at unsporting behaviour at League and club levels, encouraged by what they see the international teams doing. Sledging is happening at school and minor club levels these days and dissension is rife.

Umpires need more sanctions against serious dissension (not the disappointed reactions that are a normal part of the game). Cricket should take a leaf out of Rugby Union books and allow umpires to "sin bin" consistent moaners against decisions and/or award run penalties.

Ponting would have been "binned" for 10 minutes for his outburst against Aleem Dar. But despite that, the Aussie media should not scapegoat him for losing the Ashes: his team were just beaten by a better side in this series.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    What are you talking about?

Are you honestly trying to argue that Ponting has only had one or two blowups in his career?

You're off the planet. I don't need to "base an argument". It's friggin public record that Ponting has been in hot water as captain plenty of times.
    It's not even the first time he's haranged Dar this series (who's been excellent throughout in my estimation, if Taufel's #1, Dar's not far behind). IIRC he said it was "piss weak umpiring" when Dar referred the low "catch" Ponting may or may not have taken cleanly to the third ump.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

PrinceEWS in not understanding humans with emotions watch the game shocker.
    He actually is spot on though. Don't see how people act puts people off a game. Yeah it might result in a big media storm, but it's really meh.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Get off his back?

It's professional sport. Ponting has lived by the sword, and taken pleasure in destroying other captains and teams (out on the field), and now he is experiencing the same.

Ponting would not want, and nor would he ask for any sympathy.

Anytime you:

- lose you rag (like he did in Melbourne)
    - lose the Ashes for the third time as the skipper
    - average a woeful 16 in the biggest series of your career (his words)
    - back guys like Doherty to be selected

...well, I think you can expect and deserve a bit of criticism.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Spectator

Criticism is OK- backstabbing is not!

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Get off his back?

It's professional sport. Ponting has lived by the sword, and taken pleasure in destroying other captains and teams (out on the field), and now he is experiencing the same.
    Ponting and the Aussie teams have beaten other teams by their skills and by never accepting that the game has been lost until the last ball, not by mouthing-off in the media- they leave that to the limp-wristed jessies in TV and newspaper newsrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanjo99 View Post
    Ponting and the Aussie teams have beaten other teams by their skills and by never accepting that the game has been lost until the last ball, not by mouthing-off in the media- they leave that to the limp-wristed jessies in TV and newspaper newsrooms.
    Not sure how your post relates to mine.

Get off his back?

Ponting would not want, and nor would he ask for any sympathy.

Anytime you:

- lose you rag (like he did in Melbourne)
    - lose the Ashes for the third time as the skipper
    - average a woeful 16 in the biggest series of your career (his words)
    - back guys like Doherty to be selected

...well, I think you can expect and deserve a bit of criticism.
    Lol, well said.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

State Captain
    Have Aussies taken over the whingeing role from the Poms? Get off Ricky Ponting's back you bad-losing wusses! He is one of the best captains Australia has had over the last couple of decades!

So he is going through a bad time at the moment- so what? He is still one of the best bats in the game, his team leadership is second to none and he never gives up the fight to win. the game and series in hand.

Give him some respect and stop kicking the fella when he is down, as you are doing the Aussie reputation for sportsmanship no good with the continuous bitching just because you lost the Ashes.

(From a Brit).
    Couple of points...I'd say he's nigh on the worst captain Australia have had over the last 20 years. Anyone care to name me a worse one? To be fair there is reasonably exalted company there, but to me he's still at the bottom.

Still one of the best bats in the game? He just snuck into the top 50 in terms of Test averages in 2010. That's also debateable.

And as for his team leadership being second to none? It's the second best in the series in terms of captaincy, for a start. And that by a long stretch. I'd suggest he'd be in the bottom half in terms of world captaincy.

People are entitled to point the blame where they see fit. Ponting has now lost a record three Ashes, hasn't scored runs all series and his captaincy has lacked. I'd say he's deserving of it.

State Captain
    Not this series they haven't.

And you saying Australia haven't mouthed off in the media is hilarious. They've done it countless times over the years and have also done so in this series. Johnson saying he was going to bounce the poop out of Strauss, then struggling to hit the pitch in the first Test ring any bells? And plenty of people, Watson being one that I can remember, said before the series that all the pressure was on England. While I'm at it, I also remember a lot of bravado from them after the lone win.

Cricket Spectator

Clarification

Not sure how your post relates to mine.
    Your post, I think, commented that Ponting could not complain about receiving personal criticism (he doesn't complain as you pointed out) because he had "destroyed" other teams.

I was underlining that Ponting and his teams beat the other teams using their skills "on the field". That is very different to media hacks trying to increase circulation for their newspapers by looking for a scapegoat for the poor Aussie performance in the latest Ashes and stabbing him in the back.

As for the record, in the 2009 Season the Aussies won 6 out of 8 Tests, 20 out of 26 ODIs and 4 out of 5 Twenty20s. including the ICC Champions Trophy. Currently Australia is ranked top of the ICC ODI list and fourth in the ICC Test list.

Not bad for a "disgraced" skipper!

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    opened the thread expecting this as the first post tbh

State Captain
    Your post, I think, commented that Ponting could not complain about receiving personal criticism (he doesn't complain as you pointed out) because he had "destroyed" other teams.

I was underlining that Ponting and his teams beat the other teams using their skills "on the field". That is very different to media hacks trying to increase circulation for their newspapers by looking for a scapegoat for the poor Aussie performance in the latest Ashes and stabbing him in the back.

As for the record, in the 2009 Season the Aussies won 6 out of 8 Tests, 20 out of 26 ODIs and 4 out of 5 Twenty20s. including the ICC Champions Trophy. Currently Australia is ranked top of the ICC ODI list and fourth in the ICC Test list.

Not bad for a "disgraced" skipper!
    The 2009 season? I just sat down and dropped the Cosby's off, and my calender on the back of the dunny door said 2011. Who cares about 2009? And on that list, can I guess that England 'was' 5th on it as far as Test rankings go?

I'll go on record here as saying if Australia win the World Cup, I'll run the length of the country. It won't happen. Their time is up.

And you didn't reply to my points because you know they're all valid.

Why is it so impossible that we could win the WC? Not saying we will, but if we're going by rankings...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

vcs
    Pretty stupid to write off a team that hasn't lost a World Cup match in over a decade (God, I desperately hope that streak comes to an end here ).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information