Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Get off Ricky's back!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    I imagine Ponting is under a lot more pressure and media scrutiny than Smith so I'm prepared to give some leeway.
    Brave statement. I think you might be kinda forgetting what South Africa is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinjr View Post
    i'm punta's biggest fan but what took place with Dar was disgraceful tbh.It's sad really that he always seems to lose the plot onfield when the things start to drift away.
    Can you really blame him considering the circumstances for loosing his cool?

Scoring no runs himself
    His team just got rolled for under 100
    England are putting on an Ashes securing total
    The bowlers are getting thumped

Then another thing goes against him
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Brave statement. I think you might be kinda forgetting what South Africa is like.
    Does South African media cricket coverage compare to Australian media cricket coverage, especially during an Ashes series?

School Boy/Girl Captain robinjr's Avatar

Scoring no runs himself

he should not lose it mate thats the trick.I cant see Waugh or Taylor doing the same if they were in his place.
    Like i said im not angry at him for his act i just feel so sorry for the man and the mess he's in.

Banned

Scoring no runs himself

So what ? Failing with bat gives him the license to have a go at umpires ? It was a decision made by the third umpire for Christ's sake; there was nothing Aleem Dar or anyone else could do about it. It was disgraceful behaviour, there are no two ways about it.

Neither of those Captains have dealt with what Ricky is dealing with now. And yep, I really do feel sorry for the guy at this stage in his career

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    So what ? Failing with bat gives him the license to have a go at umpires ? It was a decision made by the third umpire for Christ's sake; there was nothing Aleem Dar or anyone else could do about it. It was disgraceful behaviour, there are no two ways about it.
    Yeah and he can't exactly call up the third umpire and ask about the decision can he?

I'm not talking about giving him a license, but trying to put across that he's under very trying conditions at the moment so I for one refuse to crucify him

I imagine Ponting is under a lot more pressure and media scrutiny than Smith so I'm prepared to give some leeway. While not entirely excusable, considering the circumstances surrounding the blow up, I don't feel crucifying ricky is fair.
    I don't think that kind of behaviour is really ever excusable, no matter what the circumstances. Really immature stuff from Ponting.

That being said though, to call Ponting a whiner is a complete misjudgement of his character - he has the occasional blow out like this (more aggression than anything), but on the whole he is one of the least likely people to whine about anything. As you said he is always extremely honest and direct when he has a cool head.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Does South African media cricket coverage compare to Australian media cricket coverage, especially during an Ashes series?
    I've really no idea, presumably not, but it's a pretty brave statement nevertheless given the relative consequences for an Aussie and a South African of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I mean, I don't claim to have any kind of expertise on the subject, but I've always thought of captaining South Africa as the job in cricket I would least like to have to do. It's so much more political. Ponting might have a few more articles written calling him a prick but his job description doesn't involve reconciling into one team players from wildly different communities that were at each other's throats barely twenty years ago.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 30-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yes indeed; he'd comfortably make my top five Australian Test captains of the last 20 years.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Each to their own, but I'm always surprised at how many people actually want to talk about this sort of thing. Player conduct in cricket just seems like such an unspeakably boring subject to me. We're on a cricket forum and there can be ten page debates over whether a 20% match fee fine is just and consistent or whether it should be upped to 40% instead. We have repeated references made to people who posters have never met being dickheads based purely on how they act when they're playing professional sport. And the debates are so passionate.

I'm sure there are people out there who can't believe I write thousand word posts on a daily basis about a game that takes five days to watch so it's a personal thing, but I just don't get it. Surely the fact that one of the best batsmen of the last 10 years hasn't score a run in ages is a more interesting topic than the fact that he got frustrated at an umpiring decision, or had a crack at an opposition coach five years ago.

Meh.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 30-12-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Surely the fact that one of the best batsmen of the last 10 years hasn't score a run in ages is a more interesting topic than the fact that he got frustrated at an umpiring decision, or had a crack at an opposition coach five years ago.
    Why not have both?

Because the conduct of professional sportsmen directly result in enjoyment of the game for many people.

Additionally it affects how people play the game at lower levels.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Because the conduct of professional sportsmen directly result in enjoyment of the game for many people.
    Yeah, that's what I'll never really understand. Each to their own though; I'll just piss off out of the thread now that it's become about that like I usually do.

PrinceEWS in not understanding humans with emotions watch the game shocker.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information