View Poll Results: Did Broad's injury strengthened, weakened or make no difference to Eng's bowling?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broad's injury was a blessing in disguise for England

19 57.58%
  • Made no difference whatsoever

8 24.24%
  • Broad's injury weakened their bowling attack

6 18.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Stuart Broad's injury....

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    I personally don't think i would have made a huge amount of difference. He was bowling pretty well before he got injured.

I think its especially true if Tremlett had been brought in for Finn at Melbourne, considering we lost at Perth even when Tremmers was bowling well. He certainly could have done just as good a job as Bresnan did imo.

Edit: And he's nothing like Mitchell Johnson, much more consistently accurate bowler. Especially now.
    Last edited by MW1304; 29-12-2010 at 06:23 AM.

I meant the way he just seems to get wickets from nowhere. He has a rather poor seam position yet seems to bowl corkers all of a sudden and get a bunch of wickets. But yes, I see your point, he doesn't bowl any Harmy's

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    I don't think it made a huge difference, after all Tremmers best performance was at Perth, and that didn't go well for us. Broad was luckless, IMHO. Would of bowled well at Perth too. Tremlett may well have come in for Finn anyway. a more natural swap, and strengthened our batting. Bres really exceeded my expectations, but I'm not sure that Broad wouldn't of done a decent job too, maybe we would of only won by an innings an 80 runs
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

England didn't lose a test with Broad for the record.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

You seen how many losses Gilchrist played in ?

Not too many when he was in his prime.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Broad's injury was a blessing in disguise? LOL thats a joke..
    One of the main reasons England lost in Perth apart from Johnson was Stuart Broad.
    Steve Finn is a bit of a pie chucker IMO and he really was the weak link in that match.
    I was just thinking about this..if Broad comes back..
    Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, Swann - that would be the best bowling attack in the world hands down.

I am glad Bresnan performed so he will play at Sydney..Steve Finn is just not ready in my opinion. He doesnt have the pace..I dont know why he is so slow at 21..he does not have immaculate line and length to make up for it..he tries to bang it in short at his pace and gets hammered.

Bresnan looks a good prospect but Anderson, Broad and Tremlett would be my first choice.

Tremlett is a better bowler than Broad so from that aspect Broad's injury strengthened the bowling attack although I doubt it would have made much difference at Perth. It would have been interesting to see which of Bresnan and Tremlett England selected for the Perth test. No way to tell now, of course. You also have to consider if the difference in their batting outweighs the difference in bowling.

But the rise of Tremlett, if it can be sustained over the next 3 - 5 years (given his age) would mean that Broad can give up this delusion of being a top grade bowler/strike bowler and focus on his batting, so that in time he can become a test standard no.7 (perhaps even a 6?) and a good first change bowler. An attack of Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, and Swann would be the most effective all-around attack in world cricket, IMO.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Tremlett is a better bowler than Broad so from that aspect Broad's injury strengthened the bowling attack although I doubt it would have made much difference at Perth.It would have been interesting to see which of Bresnan and Tremlett England selected for the Perth test. No way to tell now, of course. You also have to consider if the difference in their batting outweighs the difference in bowling.

But the rise of Tremlett, if it can be sustained over the next 3 - 5 years (given his age) would mean that Broad can give up this delusion of being a top grade bowler/strike bowler and focus on his batting, so that in time he can become a test standard no.7 (perhaps even a 6?) and a good first change bowler. An attack of Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, and Swann would be the most effective all-around attack in world cricket, IMO.
    Not sure what you're saying here tbh because there is a way to tell who they would have chosen considering they did choose Tremlett.

If you meant Melbourne, they probably would have chosen Bresnan, considering we hadn't really seen what Tremlett was capable of so far (wasn't a huge difference between them in the tour game. Bres was probably better in the game at the MCG) and he suited the surface better. They were well prepared, so either decision was proven to be pretty good anyway.

Sorry yeah, I meant Melbourne.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Tremlett is a better bowler than Broad but their best attack still involves him IMO. Anderson, Broad, Tremlett, Swann.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    I personally don't think i would have made a huge amount of difference. He was bowling pretty well before he got injured.

Broad this year

10 Tests 332.4 overs 26 wickets at 37.69 econ 2.94 s/r 76.7

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    Broad this year

10 Tests 332.4 overs 26 wickets at 37.69 econ 2.94 s/r 76.7
    Yeah, he's had it seriously easy too. Should have been cashing in hard this year given the batting lineups and conditions he's been faced with.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Could easily have had Clarke many times tbh. Had Watson in a bit of a stiff spot as well.

If anything he was guilty of bowling a tad short, but I didn't think he looked innocuous. Hilfenhaus was economical without looking threatening but Broad did look threatening.
    Well he wasn't two wickets in four innings bad but he wasn't an effective bowler and he's kinda lucky the team played so well around him and hence deflected criticism.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, he's had it seriously easy too. Should have been cashing in hard this year given the batting lineups and conditions he's been faced with.
    How'd he go in South Africa? Personally I believe he's a better bowler than those stats suggest, I am not sure he would've emulated what Tiny Ts did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information