• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Quick Question About Shane Watson

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since the referral system has come in, how many times has he used it after being given out? He must be getting close to double figures. He's used it more than any other player surely.

(yes this deserved a thread, and it deserves an answer)

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Since the referral system has come in, how many times has he used it after being given out? He must be getting close to double figures. He's used it more than any other player surely.

Michael Hussey be up there too. Michael Clarke once sent it to a referral in hope of a no ball lol.

Spark

Global Moderator
Michael Hussey uses it when he actually knows he's not out though.

Clarke... that was the umpire's referral, have you not been paying attention?

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Michael Hussey uses it when he actually knows he's not out though.

Clarke... that was the umpire's referral, have you not been paying attention?
Clarke did last summer when it was missing off and leg and smashing into middle. Not the umpire.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I remember that, it was plumb as, so he used the last referral ("Yeah why not Huss uhuhuhuh"), then Siddle got given out caught off his shoulder and had no referrals left, if they'd gone on and lost i'd personally have flown to Sydney and ripped him a new one

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Watson always gives that "what do you mean" look when he gets out though. Not sure if he realises yet that he's got the highest percentage of LBW dismissals in the world.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jimmeh or Swanneh referred a catch in the covers once on the hope of a no-ball...was the 9th wicket tbf and the bowler had been overstepping a lot

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Yeah but that's not what the rule was brought in for. I heard Shane Warne in commentary saying if they made it only one referral then they'd be less inclined to waste it on trivial referrals.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Just stumbled upon this.

"...On another note I heard directly from one of the English coaches mouths yesterday that they had a rule regarding referrals and Phil Hughes. Under no cir***stances were they allowed to call a referral on Hughes. They believed they would get him easily anyway and didn't want to risk using a referral on him. Says a lot about their respect for him...."

not sure of the validity

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just stumbled upon this.

"...On another note I heard directly from one of the English coaches mouths yesterday that they had a rule regarding referrals and Phil Hughes. Under no cir***stances were they allowed to call a referral on Hughes. They believed they would get him easily anyway and didn't want to risk using a referral on him. Says a lot about their respect for him...."

not sure of the validity
Hmm. Sounds like dog plop to me. I don't think it's any secret our seamers fancy their chances against him, but if he was nailed bang in front (unlikely given his preferred MO, admittedly) I've little doubt we'd ask the Q.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Just read a bit further actually and it said something about "... it was actually Hughes who was told not to use referrals on himself..." sounds perhaps more far fetched.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Funnily he was actually the first player to be ever be given out lbw by the third umpire, to Murali in the 'SuperTest'. Maybe he feels he's owed a couple due to that. :p

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was at the Sydney Super Test. It was great fun. Anyways, an Aussie inning wouldn't be complete without a Watto challenge these days.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just read a bit further actually and it said something about "... it was actually Hughes who was told not to use referrals on himself..." sounds perhaps more far fetched.
Source? That sounds like a Daily Tele type pile of steaming proverbial.

I'd find it easier to believe Elvis is still alive. Can you imagine the confidence you'd strip from a young player telling him he wasn't worth a referral?