• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australia drop Michael Clarke for the Fifth Test?

MICHAEL CLARKE should Australia drop/rest him for the 5th test match

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dumb thread. Yeah he hasn't been good this Ashes but he hasn't been worse than Ponting, Hughes, Smith and is still our future hope.

People just seem to want a chance to bash Clarke whatever he does.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
WTF would Clarke need a rest? He stands in the slips and can't bat out a session. Rest him for the T20, permantely.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lolling at people who still think White would be any better at facing the moving ball.

Burgey

Kerry O'Keeffe made some interesting points about how Australian players deal with the moving ball. He was suggesting far less reliance on bowling machines, and that as a general rule practice wickets should be left with grass on them, and the batsmen made to face two piece balls.

He wasn't talking about the established players, more the up am comers.

I think it has some merit tbh.

As for Clarke, nah, I wouldn't drop him. He's a class player who's playing poorly. I don't think you can say he's especially weak technically to the moving ball, given his 09 Ashes series. I would have said so in 05 for sure. He's a good player out of nick - too good to be discarded for an untried or unproven state player, IMO anyway.

flibbertyjibber

All depends on whether his back is causing more problems than have been said i guess. He looks woefully out of form but is a class act. I guess another thing that may come into the equation may be whether Ponting plays or not.

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Clarke should be the first player dropped and please CA get rid of Clarke and the Gen-Y culture he has brought to the Australian team.

Burgey

All depends on whether his back is causing more problems than have been said i guess. He looks woefully out of form but is a class act. I guess another thing that may come into the equation may be whether Ponting plays or not.
Tbh I'd not factored in his back at all. Is a concern I'd imagine.

I heard Geoff Lawson on the radio today talking about injury management. He seemed to be suggesting if a bowler goes down injured after bowling X balls in a shortish time frame, the medicos stipulate the quicks not to bowl more than that number.

If that's right it seems the weirdest thing ever to me. Surely they're all different, have different thresholds an such.

I think they're trying to produce robots here, and they're all doing a HAL.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Michael Clarke is Gen-X bro.
Don't confuse things with facts.

Although strictly speaking he could be called both as there is an overlap about 1980 or so.

Having said that, you know you're off your rocker when you start talking about Gen X/Y in terms of cricketing selection policy.

Last edited:

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
White replacing Clarke? WTF? How could anyone say something so dumb?

White can't bat in the top 5 it's a fact.Had clarke went through this form slump five years ago he'd be heading to play shield cricket like Katich did after 05 but the thing is the batting depths of Australia is at its lowest point for years.We must not forget that Clarke is yet to turn 30 so he can have another 5 years of good cricket left in him.

Midwinter

State Captain
White replacing Clarke? WTF? How could anyone say something so dumb?

White can't bat in the top 5 it's a fact.Had clarke went through this form slump five years ago he'd be heading to play shield cricket like Katich did after 05 but the thing is the batting depths of Australia is at its lowest point for years.We must not forget that Clarke is yet to turn 30 so he can have another 5 years of good cricket left in him.
Clarke not making any runs is part of the reason Australia's batting is at its lowest point for years.

Its time for a change , if he is good enough he will get back

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Clarke not making any runs is part of the reason Australia's batting is at its lowest point for years.

Its time for a change , if he is good enough he will get back
is there a worthy replacement for Clarke?I usualy get very annoyed when i hear people say the likes of White,Ferguson should replace clarke when they simply arn't good enough to bat in the top 5(IMO) leave alone replacing a test batsman who averages close to 50 with almost 5k runs and yet to turn 30.

iamdavid

International Debutant
We must not forget that Clarke is yet to turn 30 so he can have another 5 years of good cricket left in him.
Unless his career mirrors Ponting's, in which case he's got another 1-2 years before he starts to decline... :ph34r:

But yeah, leaving him out for Sydney would be ridiculous....Nothing would suprise me from this selection panel though...

Midwinter

State Captain
How many more chances are you going to give him ?

Let's try someone else and see if they can make some runs.

Insanity- doing the same thing but expecting a different result :)

Spark

Global Moderator
To be completely fair we should give him as least as many chances as Hussey. Probably two years is too long, but longer than one series.

As robijnr said, people calling for White, Ferguson to replace him from a batting POV (ie batting in the top order) are horribly misguided.