Page 8 of 241 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah, doh that's what I meant. Definitely reckon they'll retain Hilf as the straight man in the attack, Harris' injury saving him big time.

God he reminds me of Paul Reiffel. Loooooooooong stretches of innocuous bowling punctuated by the occasional bag.

Without the bags, of course.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 28-12-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Renamed as the fifth test thread.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Renamed as the fifth test thread.
    Controversial.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    renamed as the fifth test thread.
    itstl
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'd thank Hughes for coming. I know he's regarded as one for the future, but can't quite see it just now. However good his eye is his technique is such that unless he's in totally proper nick he'll be a liability against decent bowling.

If Katto is fit (and it'd be a Lazarus like recovery from what I thought was a torn achilles) it also allows the boy the fig leaf of giving way to the chap whose seat he was keeping warm too.

Smith at six is, to use the current vernacular, epic fail territory. His dismissal today shows his shot selection patently isn't that of a test batsman. Khawaja should come in, with Ponting, Clarke & Hussey all moving down to accomodate him at three. If Katich isn't fit (and I seriously doubt he'll be anything like 100%) I'd be looking at Cosgrove. Bunter or not, he's a classy batsman and is still only in his mid-20s.

Hauritz in for the sadly crocked Harris (a misguided loyalty to Beer is an error on an error) and I'd personally bring in the sharp looking Cameron for the toothless Hilf. Bollinger coming back is crazy talk.

Ponting should be offered the chance to resign, but chopped as captain if not. He's gone. Let's see if he still has it as a batsman. Hussey handed the armband.

Watson
    Katich
    Khawaja
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey*
    Haddin+
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    Siddle
    Cameron
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Bun
    Banned
    England should go in for the kill. There cannot be a more propitious time to record their first series win in Australia in two decades and some more. They might have retained the Ashes, but a 2-2 scoreline would be giving Australia far too much leniency considering the gap in the quality of cricket played so far. Australia still have a home series to lose, and kapithaan terrible' would prefer to sign off a career which otherwise is eerily reminiscent of a slightly modified Nolan line, 'Either you retire a hero, or play long enough to become the villain'

Got to agree Hughes will be the scapegoat, maybe even Smith, Possible Khawaja in and someone else. Maybe if they want to do something radical they can give Hughes an extended run in tests before cutting him, I'm sure the results will come with confidence. But the papering over will be done again, one or two of the newest will get axed, and we will introduce maybe two new young ones, or possible God forbid Marsh.

Ashes is lost, 3-1 looks a likely result barring rain, do something hip maaan
    With much love & smiles.

vcs
    Feel pretty confident that Australia will win at the SCG, surprisingly.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Feel pretty confident that Australia will win at the SCG, surprisingly.
    Certainly wouldn't rule it out. A lot depends on which Johnson turns up and whether the selectors can HTFU and make some tough choices.

If Oz go in with the same XI I'd be as confident as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist could ever get about England's chances.

International 12th Man
    There is some talk in the Aussie press that Ponting will make way for Sydney as he needs to rest his broken finger before the World Cup and Clarke will skipper.

MCG Boxing Day Test | Clarke likely to lead in Sydney with Ponting's pinkie in need of a rest

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Certainly wouldn't rule it out. A lot depends on which Johnson turns up and whether the selectors can HTFU and make some tough choices.

If Oz go in with the same XI I'd be as confident as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist could ever get about England's chances.
    No, I meant in the sense that the backlash of this loss will mean a real lift in performances and I expect a bit of a natural letdown from England from their fantastic intensity levels so far with the job done. Don't think the two sides are quite that far apart, quality wise, as this series has suggested so far.

Cricket Spectator
    ---Australia---
    Hughes
    Katich/Cosgrove (if Kato not fit)
    Watson (like the idea of him batting at 3)
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Ferguson
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Johnson
    Siddle
    Copeland

---England---
    Strauss
    Cook
    Trott
    Pieterson
    Bell
    Morgan
    Prior
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Tremlett
    Anderson
    Bring back Boof!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    There is some talk in the Aussie press that Ponting will make way for Sydney as he needs to rest his broken finger before the World Cup and Clarke will skipper.

MCG Boxing Day Test | Clarke likely to lead in Sydney with Ponting's pinkie in need of a rest
    You missed the inverted commas around "rest."

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    No, I meant in the sense that the backlash of this loss will mean a real lift in performances and I expect a bit of a natural letdown from England from their fantastic intensity levels so far with the job done.
    I'm 99% sure that Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss will not let that happen.

Not sure how you can expect a victory from a team who has been comprehensively outplayed for most of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    In fairness, they've also comprehensively outplayed England for 1 1/2 matches of the four so it's hardly far-fetched.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 8 of 241 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread Information