• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fairness, they've also comprehensively outplayed England for 1 1/2 matches of the four so it's hardly far-fetched.
Yes, this too. Things could have been oh so different if Strauss had been LBW first ball of the 2nd innings at the Gabba with England still 220 in arrears...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd thank Hughes for coming. I know he's regarded as one for the future, but can't quite see it just now. However good his eye is his technique is such that unless he's in totally proper nick he'll be a liability against decent bowling.

If Katto is fit (and it'd be a Lazarus like recovery from what I thought was a torn achilles) it also allows the boy the fig leaf of giving way to the chap whose seat he was keeping warm too.

Smith at six is, to use the current vernacular, epic fail territory. His dismissal today shows his shot selection patently isn't that of a test batsman. Khawaja should come in, with Ponting, Clarke & Hussey all moving down to accomodate him at three. If Katich isn't fit (and I seriously doubt he'll be anything like 100%) I'd be looking at Cosgrove. Bunter or not, he's a classy batsman and is still only in his mid-20s.
I swear your last 500 posts have been variations on this.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, this too. Things could have been oh so different if Strauss had been LBW first ball of the 2nd innings at the Gabba with England still 220 in arrears...
As they'd equally be different if Hussey's nick off his first ball of the series had carried, or if the review of Clarke for caught behind in the First Test had been upheld.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As they'd equally be different if Hussey's nick off his first ball of the series had carried, or if the review of Clarke for caught behind in the First Test had been upheld.
Yeah, no doubt. Full credit to England, once they have got into winning positions in this series they have capitalized in style, and their's has been much more of a consistent team effort than Australia's.

Woodster

International Captain
In fairness, they've also comprehensively outplayed England for 1 1/2 matches of the four so it's hardly far-fetched.
Think that's quite a broad view, if you were to break it down into sessions won, I think the consistency with which England have played with may give us a more accurate picture.

Australia have had a few outstanding individual performances that has really given their side the shot in the arm when it was required, while a lot of the positives surrounding England have generally been much more of a team effort rather than any reliance on an individual dragging their team out of the mire.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If I'd been put in to bowl by Strauss at Perth and got a cheap 8-fer it could be 2-0 by now.

Then again if my Grandma was opening at Brisbane and got a century in a session we may be on for a whitewash.

Tbf she's a pretty good bat.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the series on a day-by-day basis ...

Brisbane: 2.5 days each (day 2 shared)
Adelaide: 4 and a bit days to England
Perth: 1 day to England against 2 and a bit days to Aus
Melbourne: all 3 days to England

That makes England just short of 11 days to Australia's just short of 5 days, which at 69% is pretty damn close to what Uppercut said (63%), proportionally speaking.

I really must get a life.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Don't disagree with any of that, nor do I think it makes what I said any less true.
My thinking was when you are dealing with the broader picture, it can suggest things are a little closer than what they actually are, which is why I though a session by session breakdown would give us a clearer reflection and a bigger difference in the outcome. Maybe not, maybe things have been pretty close and I'm letting my "we've nearly retained the Ashes" thinking affect any clear thoughts.

Looking at the series on a day-by-day basis ...

Brisbane: 2.5 days each (day 2 shared)
Adelaide: 4 and a bit days to England
Perth: 1 day to England against 2 and a bit days to Aus
Melbourne: all 3 days to England

That makes England just short of 11 days to Australia's just short of 5 days, which at 69% is pretty damn close to what Uppercut said (63%), proportionally speaking.

I really must get a life.
Yes still pretty close, but that is a day to day basis, as averse to session by session. Now come on crack on with the results from that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes still pretty close, but that is a day to day basis, as averse to session by session. Now come on crack on with the results from that.
Hang on a mo while I explain to Mrs wp that she can put the kids to bed tonight whilst I do that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure - I can definitely remember the 11 but the 5 escape me - I fear I may have developed Corrin's Syndrome

Woodster

International Captain
I'm not sure - I can definitely remember the 11 but the 5 escape me - I fear I may have developed Corrin's Syndrome
Struggling myself mate, but can only presume they were based on one disastrous session in the day, while we played the better cricket in the other two sessions of the day but not by a clear enough margin to claim the day's honours.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Bowlers haven't been great but bigger problems with the bat. Need a fresh approach and a re-jig of the order. Here's my team for the SCG...

1. M Hussey - Made a few runs at no 5 but it's time to blood some new players. One of the few with the patience and experience to open so that's where he can go.
2. Watson - Good for the obligatory 50
3. Khawaja
4. D Hussey - Averages 55. Probably still kicking himself he didn't choose NSW when he left WA cause he would've played 50 tests by now.
5. Hughes - Still one for the future. Reckon might be worth a shot in the middle order at this stage.
6. White - Can come in. As captain
7. Haddin
8. Hauritz - Selectors loved him when he couldn't make the shield side. Now he's started performing they hate him. I'll make him Vice Captain then.
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Hilf

If it's a turner, the only bloke I can think of who's taken a few 5 fors in recent seasons is Bryce McGain. So what if he's thirty-eight and not in Vic side at the mo. Leggies can play into their mid 40s no worries. Depending on conditions he could come in for Hilf or Johnson.

Out:
Clarke - think the back injury might be bothering him. If not he's dropped. Rather have a look at Hughes / D Hussey this match
Harris - Injured
Ponting - Injured
Smith - Looks like a poor man's Peter Sleep.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Bowlers haven't been great but bigger problems with the bat. Need a fresh approach and a re-jig of the order. Here's my team for the SCG...

1. M Hussey - Made a few runs at no 5 but it's time to blood some new players. One of the few with the patience and experience to open so that's where he can go.
2. Watson - Good for the obligatory 50
3. Khawaja
4. D Hussey - Averages 55. Probably still kicking himself he didn't choose NSW when he left WA cause he would've played 50 tests by now.
5. Hughes - Still one for the future. Reckon might be worth a shot in the middle order at this stage.
7. Haddin
8. Hauritz - Selectors loved him when he couldn't make the shield side. Now he's started performing they hate him. I'll make him Vice Captain then.
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Hilf

If it's a turner, the only bloke I can think of who's taken a few 5 fors in recent seasons is Bryce McGain. So what if he's thirty-eight and not in Vic side at the mo. Leggies can play into their mid 40s no worries. Depending on conditions he could come in for Hilf or Johnson.

Out:
Clarke - think the back injury might be bothering him. If not he's dropped. Rather have a look at Hughes / D Hussey this match
Harris - Injured
Ponting - Injured
Smith - Looks like a poor man's Peter Sleep.
Ouch!!!! I kinda liked Peter Sleep, but yeah Smith aint special yet.

Jacknife

International Captain
**** that

Every series there has been some excuse for why changes cant be made e.g. playing India, the Ashes, Rooty Hill RSL next so we cant do that

How about we try a novel approach and actually pick a combination that represents arguably the best player for each position

If that means punting some "established"but consistently underperforming players then so be it

Subject to fitness, I'd pick

Watson
Hughes
Katich
Hussey
Ponting - (c) for the very last time
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Siddle
Dougeh/Cameron/Copeland
Smith - 12th man
Yes , liked the look of Cameron, I think if he 'd have been picked for this Ashes, he'd have been a real handful on some of these pitches. Haven't seen much of Copeland ,he hasn't played many first class games , but has a good record.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh gods I don't even want to imagine what will happen to that middle order if Anderson starts seaming it...

If i was an Aussie Selector

Watson
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Ferguson
Haddin
Johnson
Siddie
Hauritz
Clark

12th man Steve Smith

Spark

Global Moderator
Not sure what to make of the report that Ponting will be, ahem, "rested" for the SCG test.