• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Was a little on the patronising side, I thought. "Look, his folks are properly Asian and everything!"

Feel for the boy a little, actually. Hard enough to make a go of tests without being looked on as the standard bearer for Australian Asians/Muslims as well.

Thought he looked quite bottom handed, actually, which I'd never noticed before. Not quite in the Fat Gray league, but can see problems with the ball coming back into him down the line.
worst part was when they were telling Warnie that he and Ussie had something in common. A commentator said 'you both have the same favourite food'
warne goes 'surely he doesnt eat the ham and pineapple pizza. surely not'.
:ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Liverpool, I thought? But yeah, working class kid made good; you'd have thought he ticks a lot of Ocker boxes.
Sorry you are right, it is Liverpool. It is former Prime Minister (and genuine legend) Paul Keating that is from Bankstown.

Don't ask why I confused one with the other.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was a little on the patronising side, I thought. "Look, his folks are properly Asian and everything!"

Feel for the boy a little, actually. Hard enough to make a go of tests without being looked on as the standard bearer for Australian Asians/Muslims as well.
I was all ready to spray Channel 9 for harping on the "Muslim" fact a lot, but I actually thought it wasn't too bad. And I think the showing of the parents was light-hearted and with good intentions, rather than to exploit the fact he's Asian.

What I did find annoying was the amount of times they told me he was a licensed pilot. It's a cool fact, mention it once or twice and let it go.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am getting so fed up with Clarke's dire shot selection at the moment. It's unfortunate that we don't have any tests for ages after this because I'd like to see him dropped and sent back to state cricket to sort out his technical issues.

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah sure mate, I wonder how come he ended up being the highest wicket taker in the last Ashes series.
Yeah mate, and you need to reach back a year and a half to "prove" your point. 8-)

I did look at Hilfenhaus' stats though and he is not as bad as I had thought (over 50 wickets in 17 tests at >30 average). I do tend to exaggerate a little when slating a player, but I do think that Hilfenhaus is over-rated by some. I also think all this talk of "pressure" and "disciplined" bowling from Hilfenhaus is nonsensical as his bowling usually demands little more than the easy leave from good test batsmen. (Tremlett, for example, giving away 12 from 7 overs is a pressure spell but Hilfenhaus giving away 70 odd from 30 overs is not.) But he is not one of the most innocuous test bowlers around, that was going too far, but he is an ordinary test bowler who just occasionally bowls a decent spell. I certainly don't think he should be in this Australian side at the expense of Bollinger.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I thought Hughes showed more yesterday than since his debuts Test series. He was quite disciplined and has made a real effort to address technical flaws. I think he's a long term player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Hughes showed more yesterday than since his debuts Test series. He was quite disciplined and has made a real effort to address technical flaws. I think he's a long term player.
Fair call, but his dismissal was still pretty much according to type. Fenced at a wide one he could easily have ignored.

The trouble is he likes width outside off so much he's going to have to develop an iron discipline for it not to be his downfall.

Woodster

International Captain
Due to the economical and disciplined manner with which the England attack went about their business it ensured Australia were not allowed to really get going during this innings, and when you nick a couple of quick ones out, you find your in a very good position, as England are.

Starts again for Watson and Hughes, and an attractive looking debut for Usman Khawaja. He did look impressive and a much better prospect than someone like Smith, as a batsman of course. He rode his luck with a couple of airy fairy drives, but when the pitch is offering a bit of seam, at times you may need some fortune, his game in general looked in good order. That channel outside the off stump going across him will inevitably bring with it the usual problems for a left-hander.

England will be exceptionally keen to break the Hussey/Haddin partnership as soon as possible. The two most impressive Aussie batsmen in this series.

For the England attack, Chris Tremlett was outstanding in his first burst, and maintained good standards throughout the day, Bresnan was slightly off line to begin with but again grew into his role. He's continually at the batsmen not giving them a moments peace, asking questions with a generally impeccable line, a hint of seam movement and some healthy swing at times.

Swann's impact on this game will increase, not had much of a workload in this Test yet, understandably so, but there is some assistance for him on this pitch.

Another day coming up, and another one I'm really looking forward to. Let's get Huss early though!

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah mate, and you need to reach back a year and a half to "prove" your point. 8-)

I did look at Hilfenhaus' stats though and he is not as bad as I had thought (over 50 wickets in 17 tests at >30 average). I do tend to exaggerate a little when slating a player, but I do think that Hilfenhaus is over-rated by some. I also think all this talk of "pressure" and "disciplined" bowling from Hilfenhaus is nonsensical as his bowling usually demands little more than the easy leave from good test batsmen. (Tremlett, for example, giving away 12 from 7 overs is a pressure spell but Hilfenhaus giving away 70 odd from 30 overs is not.) But he is not one of the most innocuous test bowlers around, that was going too far, but he is an ordinary test bowler who just occasionally bowls a decent spell. I certainly don't think he should be in this Australian side at the expense of Bollinger.
I think the Hilfenhaus issue is a very interesting one and I can understand both the 'pro' Hilf camp, and those against his selection. Prior to this series, I definitely thought he deserved his place in the Aussie XI, his performance in India was respectable, despite the figures not backing that up. He can bowl to a plan, he does extract swing from the conditions, and is generally pretty accurate. With a lack of genuine quality quicks around Australia, from what I've seen, I thought he was a certainty for the near future.

Now in this series so far, and I stress so far, he has been fairly innoncuous. His swing is predictable, goes straight from the arm, and has not been too difficult for the England batsmen to neutralise and counter. Has he just under-performed in this series and should be persevered with ? Or is this how Hilfenhaus will perform more often than not ? It's a difficult one, I'm all for continuity if it's appropriate and I would probably stick with Hilf for now.

JBH001

International Regular
I think the Hilfenhaus issue is a very interesting one and I can understand both the 'pro' Hilf camp, and those against his selection. Prior to this series, I definitely thought he deserved his place in the Aussie XI, his performance in India was respectable, despite the figures not backing that up. He can bowl to a plan, he does extract swing from the conditions, and is generally pretty accurate. With a lack of genuine quality quicks around Australia, from what I've seen, I thought he was a certainty for the near future.

Now in this series so far, and I stress so far, he has been fairly innoncuous. His swing is predictable, goes straight from the arm, and has not been too difficult for the England batsmen to neutralise and counter. Has he just under-performed in this series and should be persevered with ? Or is this how Hilfenhaus will perform more often than not ? It's a difficult one, I'm all for continuity if it's appropriate and I would probably stick with Hilf for now.
Looking at his performances before this series, he probably did deserve selection. But I struggle to see how he can continue to merit selection right up to the fifth and final test match of the series. I did watch most of the 2009 Ashes though and he did, from recollection, seem to be a better bowler than he is today (although he did leak a few runs and was not penetrative in the match turning sense). I did not watch the India tour so I'll take your word that his bowling was better than his (poor) figures indicate.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Looking at his performances before this series, he probably did deserve selection. But I struggle to see how he can continue to merit selection right up to the fifth and final test match of the series. I did watch most of the 2009 Ashes though and he did, from recollection, seem to be a better bowler than he is today (although he did leak a few runs and was not penetrative in the match turning sense).
Perhaps with more penetrative bowlers around him, he could perform an important role for the side, but there isn't the balance in the attack. I don't like when he bowls a spell of outswingers well outside the off stump in order to control the run rate, it's pretty negative, but that's obviously plans laid down by him and more so from his captain. You can be economical but probing at the same time, especially when you get decent swing like he does.

I have generally been more impressed by him in the series I have seen before this one, and so am inclined to put this one down to a poor run of form, rather than him being a poor Test bowler. His stats do look pretty awful so far in this series.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Since its an early start i decided to watch an hour or so instead of getting up early. Crucial part of teh game tbh.

Bowling a tad short early doors