• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

pup11

International Coach
Hughes batted really well today actually.
Yeah, don't know why guys keep picking on his technique, his technique is no different from a Sehwag or Slater. He is just going through a lean patch and also I think credit needs to go to England they have bowled very well to him through the series.

Spark

Global Moderator
We bag C9's production a lot more you have to give a huge rap to the bloke in charge of the sound on that. Usually as soon as the batsman hits the ball they turn the stump mic right down (esp. for replays) but I think someone heard that and thought the rest of the world had to know

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
No it's not that bloody hard. Three of the top four got 30 plus. Yeah they grafted for it but it's nothing like as difficult a deck as Melbourne day one or Sydney last year vs Pakistan.
NO, they played and missed to 30 in the face of some good england bowling. Not like they looked superb to 30 and then got out (Except for khawaja). Anderson and tremlett in helpful conditions are always dangerous

and tbf, last year v pakistan wasnt a difficult deck but pakistan were most likely paid to make it look like one :ph34r:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He batted well for a guy who quite frankly is a pretty terrible player.The last time that Hughes made a substantial contribution in a live match situation was his twin centuries in South Africa
This was his last match before the Ashes. It was a live match in a test series and he averaged over 100.

You're basically saying he hasn't had a great Ashes. That is not news to anyone.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NO, they played and missed to 30 in the face of some good england bowling. Not like they looked superb to 30 and then got out (Except for khawaja). Anderson and tremlett in helpful conditions are always dangerous

and tbf, last year v pakistan wasnt a difficult deck but pakistan were most likely paid to make it look like one :ph34r:
So you'd bowl first here? Knowing how it plays late and given they've got this bloke who is apparently the new Murali?

Edit: and given our quicks have bowled like school kids for all bar 1.5 games?

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think the wicket favours the bowlers, just don't think the English bowlers have been particularly good today (bar Tremlett's early spells). Garbage shots is why we are 4 down.
Well that has been the story of the Australian batting through the summer, don't think many Australian batsmen really got out to unplayble balls they have just played loosely and to put it in Steve Waugh's words, they came into this all important test series with cheap limited over tactics and application.
Was pretty impressed with Khawaja until he had that brain explosion, but still he had a presence at the crease which is always a hallmark of a good player.
Also for me Clarke has to go after this test, its just annoying to see him chuck his wicket game after game at crucial junctures and still retain his place. I personally think time has come for Ponting to quit captaincy and play on as a batsman, but Clarke definitely isn't the man to lead this team forward.

tooextracool

International Coach
A bit disappointing this for Australia. I thought their openers applied themselves, Watson seems to be jinxed more than anything else, Khwaja looked pretty good but threw it away with a poor shot and Clarke was unfortunate to get out the way he did. They've tried hard but England are still in a good position mostly because England have been extremely disciplined with the ball once again. Think if Australia had a decent bowling attack they could create serious problems for England's batsmen in these conditions, but I'm not sure whether their bowlers are good enough to bowl in the manner in which England have bowled this series.

Burgey

A bit disappointing this for Australia. I thought their openers applied themselves, Watson seems to be jinxed more than anything else, Khwaja looked pretty good but threw it away with a poor shot and Clarke was unfortunate to get out the way he did. They've tried hard but England are still in a good position mostly because England have been extremely disciplined with the ball once again. Think if Australia had a decent bowling attack they could create serious problems for England's batsmen in these conditions, but I'm not sure whether their bowlers are good enough to bowl in the manner in which England have bowled this series.
This.

tooextracool

International Coach
This was his last match before the Ashes. It was a live match in a test series and he averaged over 100.

You're basically saying he hasn't had a great Ashes. That is not news to anyone.
'live match situation'. That match was over before Hughes came in to bat in the 2nd inning, that is pretty obvious given they were chasing 100 odd. A rather meaningless knock in the grand scheme of things.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
So you'd bowl first here? Knowing how it plays late and given they've got this bloke who is apparently the new Murali?
when did i say il bowl first ? just said u cant expect them to be 250/1 against such great bowling in reasonably helpful conditions.

and i wouldnt bowl first because it would barely make a difference. except for the 1st innings in perth, it basically looks like the 2 teams are bowling on different wickets.
we wouldnt certainly nto be able to extract from this pitch what these poms have been doing today.

just saying its ridiculous to expect a huge score against very good bowling. that we're not 100 all out is an achievement.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well that has been the story of the Australian batting through the summer, don't think many Australian batsmen really got out to unplayble balls they have just played loosely and to put it in Steve Waugh's words, they came into this all important test series with cheap limited over tactics and application.
Was pretty impressed with Khawaja until he had that brain explosion, but still he had a presence at the crease which is always a hallmark of a good player.
Also for me Clarke has to go after this test, its just annoying to see him chuck his wicket game after game at crucial junctures and still retain his place. I personally think time has come for Ponting to quit captaincy and play on as a batsman, but Clarke definitely isn't the man to lead this team forward.
Who should replace him as captain?

Burgey

when did i say il bowl first ? just said u cant expect them to be 250/1 against such great bowling in reasonably helpful conditions.

and i wouldnt bowl first because it would barely make a difference. except for the 1st innings in perth, it basically looks like the 2 teams are bowling on different wickets.
we wouldnt certainly nto be able to extract from this pitch what these poms have been doing today.

just saying its ridiculous to expect a huge score against very good bowling. that we're not 100 all out is an achievement.
Well the post of mine you quoted was in the context of a discussion about whether Clarke did the right thing batting first.

So i think we agree to an extent. If you're a test captain you can't think you'll bowl first on a wicket that isn't awful just because you've been batting badly of late. Blokes are in there to get runs and I reckon he made the right call batting first :)

Last edited:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure whether their bowlers are good enough to bowl in the manner in which England have bowled this series.
i AM sure... that they are not good enough.

like comparing hardened purposefull professionals to a bunch of wishful, petty net bowlers who are yet to reach puberty.
behind englands bowling has been months of meticulous planning and mastery

behind aus bowling is confusion and lack of skill

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Well the post of mine you quoted was in the context of a discussion about whether Clarke did the right thing batting first.

If you're a test captain you can't think you'll bowl first on a wicket that isn't awful just because you've been batting badly of late. Blokes are in there to get runs and I reckon he made the right call batting first :)
he certainly did. eng would be 0/240 if they batted. if we can scrounge our way to 350-380, we have a chance.

Midwinter

State Captain
The improvement in Hughes performance today was his leaving, still looked poor and a get out at any time.

The bowling was not quite as tight as in Melbourne, part of the hangover I think.

The question was asked "Why did they pick Smith to bat at 6 before picking Kwalajah ?".
A very good question.

WIll Clarke replace Ponting as captain ? It will be a rheotorical question unless he scores some runs.

Is there a sense of relief that the Punter is not playing today ?.