• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Midwinter

State Captain
Without Katich's injury there has been only one change to the batting in this series. Smith for North.

And now we are likely to be 2-1 down

Was there any warning signs that the batting was weak ?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's the problem with dropping Clarke though and then bringing him back when Ponting retires. Ghappel has said in no uncertain terms that Clarke will be the next captain. If you drop him, then bring him back and make him captain, what kind of message will that send to the team?
a. There is no room for two charity cases in Ponting and Clarke

b. I wouldnt have Clarke as the next captain

c. They wont pick this team

Spark

Global Moderator
Not really. Ponting as stated had a very good series in India, and Clarke, whilst failing in India, looked in supreme touch just before the injury. So that's taken everyone by surprise.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 S Watson 2 P Hughes 3 R Ponting 4 U Khawaja 5 M Clarke 6 M Hussey 7 B Haddin 8 M Johnson 9 P Siddle 10 M Beer 11 D Bollinger.

Beer has to be given a chance, but even if he does well I'm not sure what it will prove.. I've kept Hughes if Katich isn't back yet,

Spark

Global Moderator
a. There is no room for two charity cases in Ponting and Clarke

b. I wouldnt have Clarke as the next captain

c. They wont pick this team
All fair stuff, but given that (b) is irrelevant regardless.

Although (c) kind of nullifies that point.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Without Katich's injury there has been only one change to the batting in this series. Smith for North.

And now we are likely to be 2-1 down

Was there any warning signs that the batting was weak ?
Pre-series one of the biggest concerns was Hussey - imagine he'd been dropped pre-series?

Spark

Global Moderator
1 S Watson 2 P Hughes 3 R Ponting 4 U Khawaja 5 M Clarke 6 M Hussey 7 B Haddin 8 M Johnson 9 P Siddle 10 M Beer 11 D Bollinger.

Beer has to be given a chance, but even if he does well I'm not sure what it will prove.. I've kept Hughes if Katich isn't back yet,
This is the team/order that I'd pick given the squad I think they'll name.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There were warning signs about the batting, but not so much about Ponting and Clarke. Sure you could say that Ponting hadn't had a big series in a while and that Clarke was poor in a two-match series against India, but I don't think there were any real indications that they'd average under 10 over four Ashes Tests.

There were massive, massive warning signs about Hussey, though, funnily enough. Hussey's performances should be a reminder of why not to drop Clarke. I'd much sooner drop Ponting because I think he's genuinely declined; Clarke has just had a bad patch. A little longer than a routine bad patch and at a terrible time, but I don't think it's a genuine decline.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not really. Ponting as stated had a very good series in India, and Clarke, whilst failing in India, looked in supreme touch just before the injury. So that's taken everyone by surprise.
Wouldn't say Ponting's series was very good. And Clarke's technical flaw has been back in his game for a while now, I'm hardly surprised.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The funny thing is, Julian, I'm actually regarded as a bit of a Prior-hating Haddin fanboy by certain members of this forum, and yet I still think you're one. That's how ridiculously extreme your opinions of the situation are - even the known Haddin fans think you're over-the-top.

You seriously suggested that Swann should bat above Prior in Melbourne, FFS. The bloke averages over 40 in Tests with three tons. You've gone mad.
Yeah, Prior must've taken a sneaky **** in his breakfast cereal while Haddin was giving him a blowie. The only thing I can come up with.

Spark

Global Moderator
See thats where the difference in perception lies. I can only speak from personal experience that retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2004 was nowhere near as satisfying as winning it in Sydney would have been. I certainly hope the Australian team isn't taking this as light heartedly as you guys are.
This is decidedly different though. There will be no doubt that if we do win in Sydney, everyone - Australian and English - will forget about it very very fast. The Ashes are gone/won - for the vast majority of people on both sides that is the be-all and end-all.

pup11

International Coach
I think its time for a major overhaul, this Ashes series is gone now therefore the emphasis should be on picking a team most likely to play England in three years time.
We just have to bite the bullet through this tough time and show faith in the young talent around the country who could be blooded in as long term prospects.
Therefore my team for Sydney would be
1.Hughes
2.Khawaja
3.Ponting
4.Watson
5.Hussey
6.Cosgrove/White
7.Haddin
8.Hauritz
9.Johnson
10.Siddle
11.Hilfenhaus
12.George
Clarke for me isn't even the pale shadow of the young dynamic batsman he was when he burst onto the scene, he used to play with no fear and take the attack to the opposition, and these were the qualities that helped him become such a prominent contender to replace Ponting, but rather than improving as a player like many former Australian captains and prominent players have done, he has only declined over the years so much so that he almost seems like a different batsman these days.
Watto despite the runs he has scored has generally been a disappointment for me as an opener, I think as an opener chucking your wicket away after a after start is criminal and Watto pretty much does that all the time, so he should slide down the order and allow someone like Khawaja to come into the side.
Also I think Ponting still has lot of good knocks in him, but he just needs to shed this load of captaincy off him which obviosuly isn't helping him atm. So maybe he should give the reins of the team over to someone like Haddin/Katich after the Sydney test and just concentrate on his own game, because the last 2 years have certainly hurt his batting legacy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke for me isn't even the pale shadow of the young dynamic batsman he was when he burst onto the scene, he used to play with no fear and take the attack to the opposition, and these were the qualities that helped him become such a prominent contender to replace Ponting, but rather than improving as a player like many former Australian captains and prominent players have done, he has only declined over the years so much so that he almost seems like a different batsman these days.
Gweh? Clarke before his dropping wasn't test-standard IMO. He was immense in 2008-9, easily our best player.