Page 5 of 241 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I agree he should bat 6, but I think you might be slightly overrating his technique under pressure given the shot he played first innings.
    Julian over-rating Haddin slightly? Never.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Trying to win = treating it as a dead rubber?
    Treating it as an opportunity to experiment in a manner you wouldn't have initially = treating it as a dead rubber
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Julian over-rating Haddin slightly? Never.
    Ha. Well if Prior can bat 6 in test (in the past, obv) Haddin should be able to open and comfortably average 50 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Treating it as an opportunity to experiment in a manner you wouldn't have initially = treating it as a dead rubber
    New players have to be introduced to test cricket sometime. Why not in a series where the most important aspect of it has been already decided? If we wait, then it probably be at the start of another series where the actual important (series) result is still on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by julian87 View Post
    ha. Well if prior can bat 6 in test (in the past, obv) haddin should be able to open and comfortably average 50 or so.

Which brings me to my next question...

If that ball from Johnson had have safely lolled to Haddin for a dot ball, would Waqar Younis II have referred it?

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    New players have to be introduced to test cricket sometime. Why not in a series where the most important aspect of it has been already decided? If we wait, then it probably be at the start of another series where the actual important (series) result is still on the line.
    See thats where the difference in perception lies. I can only speak from personal experience that retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2004 was nowhere near as satisfying as winning it in Sydney would have been. I certainly hope the Australian team isn't taking this as light heartedly as you guys are.

The funny thing is, Julian, I'm actually regarded as a bit of a Prior-hating Haddin fanboy by certain members of this forum, and yet I still think you're one. That's how ridiculously extreme your opinions of the situation are - even the known Haddin fans think you're over-the-top.

You seriously suggested that Swann should bat above Prior in Melbourne, FFS. The bloke averages over 40 in Tests with three tons. You've gone mad.

vcs
    I agree wholeheartedly. Australian cricket is very much geared towards the Ashes, though. Even when they do lose/draw a non-Ashes series, the immediate reaction is usually to discuss the impact it'll have on Ashes preparations and whether the current team is good enough to win the Ashes. That the actual series has been lost is a secondary consideration.

I'm not saying it's right (it isn't, IMO) but it's the way cricket works in this country. It's almost applied to the same extent as other countries building towards a World Cup in ODIs.
    I always got that impression more from England TBH. I started reading a lot more of their press after Ashes 2005 and in the buildup to Ashes 2006-07, so my impression is probably a bit influenced by that.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I always got that impression more from England TBH. I started reading a lot more of their press after Ashes 2005 and in the buildup to Ashes 2006-07, so my impression is probably a bit influenced by that.
    The attitude wasn't as strong in Australia when England were crap, particularly amongst the younger generation, but since losing the 2005 series in England it's all been very Ashes-centric.

I agree wholeheartedly. Australian cricket is very much geared towards the Ashes, though. Even when they do lose/draw a non-Ashes series, the immediate reaction is usually to discuss the impact it'll have on Ashes preparations and whether the current team is good enough to win the Ashes. That the actual series has been lost is a secondary consideration.

I'm not saying it's right (it isn't, IMO) but it's the way cricket works in this country. It's almost applied to the same extent as other countries building towards a World Cup in ODIs.
    Would you say this is a recent change, PEWS? England have had this obsession towards the Ashes for a long time, but Waugh's Australia didn't appear to me as singularly focussed as that.

woah, vcs. Spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Would you say this is a recent change, PEWS? England have had this obsession towards the Ashes for a long time, but Waugh's Australia didn't appear to me as singularly focussed as that.
    Haha yeah, I'm guessing you started typing that before Post #71 appeared.

When Australia were hammering England every time it obviously wasn't the key focus, but since 2005, all the press and all the general fan chatter has been very Ashes-focussed.

vcs
    The attitude wasn't as strong in Australia when England were crap, particularly amongst the younger generation, but since losing the 2005 series in England it's all been very Ashes-centric.
    Hmm.. can understand that.

Joe, great minds etc..

Page 5 of 241 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information