• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hopefully it rains again once england start batting. this is far more entertaining than Cook and Trott....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We've had Edgbaston 2005 and Sydney 2003 to watch highlights of while the players have been off.

Burgey

Hhaha I did the same thing, but then muted Grandstand to here what they were saying.

Only got the story about Greig not knowing when he met Bradman that he was actually Bradman, and how embarrassed he was when he asked "do you have anything to do with cricket here?" when he first came to Australia :laugh:
Chappell made a point that in that test where McCabe made 232 and they were desperate not to lose because the innings was so great, Bradman looked quite fallible as he was worried about the scoreboard. He wondered whether part of Bradman's secret was that he never played with any regard to the scoreboard.

vcs

Hhaha I did the same thing, but then muted Grandstand to here what they were saying.

Only got the story about Greig not knowing when he met Bradman that he was actually Bradman, and how embarrassed he was when he asked "do you have anything to do with cricket here?" when he first came to Australia :laugh:
Greig has told that one about a million times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Missed the grandstand thing, what did they say?
Some were suggesting that the reason Clarke hasn't been wholly accepted by the Australian public is because he is the representative of Gen Y in Australian cricket. The Beckham of Australian cricket (with Lara Bingle being the Victoria). The tatts, the modelling, earring etc. He is just such a different looking man to previous Australian test cricketers, and especially captains.

They put Mitch Johnson in a similar boat.

Basically said that much of the Australian test watching public are of an older generation who aren't fans of the "pretty boy/metrosexual" aura that many Australian cricketers have.

Not a new suggestion by any means (Greg Baum discussed it in the SMH recently) but it was a good discussion. Especially since Clarke is from Bankstown anyway, and he's hardly from a privileged background.

hazsa19

International Regular
Ah crap I was gonna go to bed after a replay of that Steve Waugh century in 2003. But they're gonna play and I better watch a few overs...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Some were suggesting that the reason Clarke hasn't been wholly accepted by the Australian public is because he is the representative of Gen Y in Australian cricket. The Beckham of Australian cricket (with Lara Bingle being the Victoria). The tatts, the modelling, earring etc. He is just such a different looking man to previous Australian test cricketers, and especially captains.

They put Mitch Johnson in a similar boat.

Basically said that much of the Australian test watching public are of an older generation who aren't fans of the "pretty boy/metrosexual" aura that many Australian cricketers have.

Not a new suggestion by any means (Greg Baum discussed it in the SMH recently) but it was a good discussion. Especially since Clarke is from Bankstown anyway, and he's hardly from a privileged background.
Reckon it's not the just the older generation, it's all of them

archie mac

International Coach
Chappell made a point that in that test where McCabe made 232 and they were desperate not to lose because the innings was so great, Bradman looked quite fallible as he was worried about the scoreboard. He wondered whether part of Bradman's secret was that he never played with any regard to the scoreboard.
Chappelli no lover of Bradman.

Bradman did not play in that Test:)

Burgey

Chappelli no lover of Bradman.

Bradman did not play in that Test:)
The one in 1938 at Trent Bridge(?)

I thought he did tbh. Was the one where he called the team onto the balcony.

As for Clarke, none of you young blokes have the balls to admit that the discussion on Grandstand proves Goughy's point about blokes who look like they're more interested in their hair than a cover drive.

archie mac

International Coach
you could say it runs in the family.

but i don't actually know if richardson and bradman disliked each other
Yes no love lost between Richardson and Bradman, with Richardson replacing Bradman as SA captain while Richardson was away in Sth Africa.

The one in 1938 at Trent Bridge(?)

I thought he did tbh. Was the one where he called the team onto the balcony.

Sorry mate I thought you were talking about Stan's BL innings :) Yes Bradman and Brown batted for a draw

vcs

Khawaja is an engineer? :thumbsup:

One of the gang, so to speak.

Blah, Clarke.

Burgey

Great skipper's knock from Mick.

Yeah, yeah Tubby... "Trying to set the tone". How come you used to bat at a strike rate of 14 when you were skipper then? Absolute bollocks. You bat to the conditions. Out to a rank ball tbf.