• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Ruckus

International Captain
Treating it as an opportunity to experiment in a manner you wouldn't have initially = treating it as a dead rubber
New players have to be introduced to test cricket sometime. Why not in a series where the most important aspect of it has been already decided? If we wait, then it probably be at the start of another series where the actual important (series) result is still on the line.

Julian87

State Captain
Which brings me to my next question...

If that ball from Johnson had have safely lolled to Haddin for a dot ball, would Waqar Younis II have referred it?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
New players have to be introduced to test cricket sometime. Why not in a series where the most important aspect of it has been already decided? If we wait, then it probably be at the start of another series where the actual important (series) result is still on the line.
See thats where the difference in perception lies. I can only speak from personal experience that retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2004 was nowhere near as satisfying as winning it in Sydney would have been. I certainly hope the Australian team isn't taking this as light heartedly as you guys are.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The funny thing is, Julian, I'm actually regarded as a bit of a Prior-hating Haddin fanboy by certain members of this forum, and yet I still think you're one. That's how ridiculously extreme your opinions of the situation are - even the known Haddin fans think you're over-the-top.

You seriously suggested that Swann should bat above Prior in Melbourne, FFS. The bloke averages over 40 in Tests with three tons. You've gone mad.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree wholeheartedly. Australian cricket is very much geared towards the Ashes, though. Even when they do lose/draw a non-Ashes series, the immediate reaction is usually to discuss the impact it'll have on Ashes preparations and whether the current team is good enough to win the Ashes. That the actual series has been lost is a secondary consideration.

I'm not saying it's right (it isn't, IMO) but it's the way cricket works in this country. It's almost applied to the same extent as other countries building towards a World Cup in ODIs.
I always got that impression more from England TBH. I started reading a lot more of their press after Ashes 2005 and in the buildup to Ashes 2006-07, so my impression is probably a bit influenced by that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always got that impression more from England TBH. I started reading a lot more of their press after Ashes 2005 and in the buildup to Ashes 2006-07, so my impression is probably a bit influenced by that.
The attitude wasn't as strong in Australia when England were crap, particularly amongst the younger generation, but since losing the 2005 series in England it's all been very Ashes-centric.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I agree wholeheartedly. Australian cricket is very much geared towards the Ashes, though. Even when they do lose/draw a non-Ashes series, the immediate reaction is usually to discuss the impact it'll have on Ashes preparations and whether the current team is good enough to win the Ashes. That the actual series has been lost is a secondary consideration.

I'm not saying it's right (it isn't, IMO) but it's the way cricket works in this country. It's almost applied to the same extent as other countries building towards a World Cup in ODIs.
Would you say this is a recent change, PEWS? England have had this obsession towards the Ashes for a long time, but Waugh's Australia didn't appear to me as singularly focussed as that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would you say this is a recent change, PEWS? England have had this obsession towards the Ashes for a long time, but Waugh's Australia didn't appear to me as singularly focussed as that.
Haha yeah, I'm guessing you started typing that before Post #71 appeared. :p

When Australia were hammering England every time it obviously wasn't the key focus, but since 2005, all the press and all the general fan chatter has been very Ashes-focussed.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The attitude wasn't as strong in Australia when England were crap, particularly amongst the younger generation, but since losing the 2005 series in England it's all been very Ashes-centric.
Hmm.. can understand that.

Joe, great minds etc..

Dissector

International Debutant
Well, Waugh's career coincided almost perfectly with England's two decades of mediocrity. They have been a lot better after he retired. The Ashes become that much more important if you feel you are playing against one of the world's top teams which England certainly is now.

Ruckus

International Captain
See thats where the difference in perception lies. I can only speak from personal experience that retaining the Border Gavaskar Trophy in 2004 was nowhere near as satisfying as winning it in Sydney would have been. I certainly hope the Australian team isn't taking this as light heartedly as you guys are.
I genuinely believe though with the changes the team would actually have a better chance of winning anyway. Sure it's a risk to debut some new players, but hell the selectors were already willing to do that in the series at times far more important than what Sydney will be. Doherty, Smith, Beer?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the guys treating Sydney as adead rubber, you do realise that beyond the Ashes, there's also the small matter of avoiding a home series defeat, don't you? Sydney is not a dead rubber by any means.
**** that

Every series there has been some excuse for why changes cant be made e.g. playing India, the Ashes, Rooty Hill RSL next so we cant do that

How about we try a novel approach and actually pick a combination that represents arguably the best player for each position

If that means punting some "established"but consistently underperforming players then so be it

Subject to fitness, I'd pick

Watson
Hughes
Katich
Hussey
Ponting - (c) for the very last time
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Siddle
Dougeh/Cameron/Copeland
Smith - 12th man

Spark

Global Moderator
Here's the problem with dropping Clarke though and then bringing him back when Ponting retires. Ghappel has said in no uncertain terms that Clarke will be the next captain. If you drop him, then bring him back and make him captain, what kind of message will that send to the team?