• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Craig

World Traveller
For Australia, drop Steve Smith, and bring in somebody like Usman Khawaja, as much as Smith is a player for the future, he's not good enough yet to bat at 6, and nor is his bowling. A spinner has to play, and seeing as though they have picked him, I guess Michael Beer will be the one, and with Ryan Harris likely to be out with his ankle injury, it will be a forced change. I would of picked Nathan Hauritz, out of all the spinners in the country, he look's like he is the best one. Which is a shame for Rhino, otherwise I would have left out Ben Hilfenhaus, he does bowl alright, but he just doesn't take the wickets.

For England? None really, unless you want to bring Eoin Morgan in for Paul Collingwood.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trouble is for England in dropping Collingwood, if the Aussies bat well, then they don't have a genuine 5th bowler whatsoever. Pietersen, Trott & Bell can do the job I suppose, but Collingwood is a step above them as a 5th bowler, and you don't know whether Morgan will be any better.

King Pietersen

International Captain
For Australia:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin +
Smith
O'Keefe
Johnson
Siddle
Harris/Hilfenhaus (depending on Harris's fitness)

Haddin has to bat above Smith, but other than that I don't think the batting really needs much of a change. They need a spinner, and if they're going to pick an inexperienced spinner, at least pick one that's done well, and O'Keefe has done very well, boosts the batting too. So that'd be the side I'd go with.

For England, same team. Might as well give Collingwood 1 last 'hurrah.

Flem274*

123/5
Watson
Katich (if possible. Rogers if not.)
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz/O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Siddle

Haven't seen O'Keefe or Rogers, but going off what people have said on forum and the statz, O'Keefe is the best spinner in the country after Hauritz and Rogers is pretty gun.

And Khawaja is so far ahead of Hughes and Smith technically it's not funny.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah seeing as though we will lose this match, I'd love to see a bit of an experiment at Sydney. Would love to see Copeland in for Hilfenhaus, O'Keefe in as the spinner, Khawaja in for Smith and Cameron or Bollinger in for Harris if he is injured.

If that happened it would really bring some spark into what will otherwise essentially be a dead rubber.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
out: the victorians, taswegians, western australians and Harris through injury
in: more new south welshmen

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol... Liking these teams.

Main change I'd like to see is our openers put on >100 and give us a decent start.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson
Katich (if possible. Rogers if not.)
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz/O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Siddle

Haven't seen O'Keefe or Rogers, but going off what people have said on forum and the statz, O'Keefe is the best spinner in the country after Hauritz and Rogers is pretty gun.

And Khawaja is so far ahead of Hughes and Smith technically it's not funny.
Rogers is injured as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1 Watson
2 Hughes
3 Khawaja
4 Ponting
5 Clarke
6 Hussey
7 Haddin
8 Smith
9 Johnson
10 Harris
11 Siddle

I really don't like the idea of picking Smith as a spinner, but I don't really like the idea of picking any of the spinners at this point either, particularly with O'Keefe playing grade cricket. Smith offers by far the best package of them at this point with his batting; I'd make it known that he was being picked as an allrounder. He'd basically have the same bowling role he had in this match; I'd just get Watson through a few more overs as the fourth seamer. If I really thought the pitch was going to be a genuine turner (and I don't) I'd bring Krejza in for Smith.

Clarke should definitely not bat in the top four but I wouldn't want to move Hussey up either; I think that batting lineup looks so much more solid with Clarke at five and Hussey at six so I've brought in another top order batsman (Khawaja). I've got him at three above Ponting but that's clearly not going to happen; I'd be equally happy with him at four. I'd also be happy with Dave Hussey in at four.

Realistically though, I think we'll just see Beer come in for Hilfenhaus with no other changes. We may see Khawaja bat six instead of Smith or even open ahead of Hughes but they're both long shots at this stage IMO.

Last edited: