Page 14 of 241 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Yep, as I just said in another thread, totally agree.
    Well someone needs to pass on this message to Strauss and co now.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Just had a quick look at Mark Cosgrove's record this winter - all I can say is I hope Australia do recall Katich

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Just had a quick look at Mark Cosgrove's record this winter - all I can say is I hope Australia do recall Katich
    Only reason isn't playing isn't it? Shame he hasn't a bit more self-discipline, he actually looks like he can bowl too, but the size must be a massive hindrance to that.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    A bit of nonsense and hysteria all around Australia at the moment which is annoying not only because a lot of it is so extreme but because the valid points were the ones we were making years ago but ignored because it didn't involve the Ashes in Australia. Let's settle down and remember the series is still on the line, pick whoever you think will score the most runs and take the most wickets for the next game, whoever those people are. I honestly do not care about their age.

IMO those selections include Hauritz in for Hilfenhaus, Bollinger in for Harris, Khawaja (begrudgingly) in for Smith. These are our most pressing selections requirements. The Ponting/Clarke issue is a bit of a problem but I honestly don't think one of Hussey/White/Ferguson will make more runs then them if they replace them. If Katich is fit I'd have him instead of Hughes as well (although apparently the best development for him is to keep on being exposed at the highest level...).
    What's your beef with Khawaja?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Only reason isn't playing isn't it? Shame he hasn't a bit more self-discipline, he actually looks like he can bowl too, but the size must be a massive hindrance to that.

He's clearly some sort of enfant terrible as far as the selectors are concerned but I would have thought that if ever there were a time to play your best eleven regardless then it's now

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Hughes and Smith have to play in Sydney. Both are players to watch for the future and there's no point giving them a couple of games and discarding them. Hughes more so than Smith obviously, but as a couple of members have pointed out, Smith does seem up to it mentally, and that's what the selectors of the 80s used when picking and sticking with blokes like Healy and Steve Waugh, who as we all know took years to score his first Test century. These young players have talent; pick them and back them.

Edit: TBF though, if it's a choice between Khawaja or Smith, get Usman in there ASAP.
    Hughes is terrible, I just don't see what the rest of you guys see in him.

Yes he may have scored some runs in some games I didn't watch but from what I have seen of him he looks hopeless as an opening bat. Surely Usman is the smarter option. He looks solid.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Play more Victorians.
    Time for you lot to start looking @ some of those young South Africans
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkallis View Post
    Time for you lot to start looking @ some of those young South Africans
    Yeah, Trott just made it to # 3 on the ICC Batting rankings, while Ponting has slipped to #29

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What's your beef with Khawaja?
    Would be interested in hearing this too. Is it a sample size thing, pasag? Or a technique thing?
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Yeah, Trott just made it to # 3 on the ICC Batting rankings, while Ponting has slipped to #29
    I'm really beginning to love Trott. Must be this whole scoring-massive-centuries thing he's picked up.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I'm really beginning to love Trott. Must be this whole scoring-massive-centuries thing he's picked up.
    Well, 5 centuries in 17 Tests with an average of 64.00 will do that, just like North....oops his average was only 35.48......

Edit...oops, North took 19 Tests to get 5 centuries...
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 29-12-2010 at 11:56 AM.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    ...and a couple more tons and a double ton by other Saffers.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    There is still plenty for Australia, and England, to play for in this final Test. For England, series victories in Australia historically come along few and far between, while we are on top, buoyant from retaining the Ashes, it is vital we claim the series aswell.

Would be scant consolation to deprive England of that victory for Australia, yet it would ensure they don't lose the series, and there would be some satisfaction in taking some of the gloss off England's retention of the urn.

England have been the better side, but a 2-2 series score would not suggest that.

Strauss has said absolutely all the right things since winning in Melbourne, this is a step towards our aim of becoming the number one side in the world, our immediate focus is winning this next Test and with it the series, etc. Let's hope those words are backed up by the necessary actions, and you do get the feeling with the meticulous Andy Flower in charge, that they will be fully charged and ready to go for the jugular in Sydney, without believing our job is already done.

Is it all doom and gloom for Australia ? Things aren't half as bad as they currently seem. With all the emotion of an Ashes failure comes over-reaction, over the top criticism, and a genuine feeling of everything in the structure is wrong. It is cyclical we all know that, and it's now up to the management to plot their way back to the top. So the key experienced players need to be identified, Hussey and Haddin the two that led the way for them in this series are certainties to maintain their places for the foreseeable. As to who the best youngsters are around, that is open to interpretation and skill at making correct judgements. Is it Smith, Khawaja, Hughes, Ferguson, etc, whoever is chosen, the patience with them is key.

For Australia to get the next phase in their rebuilding right, it will take clarity of thought, some well sought opinions from those in the best positions to offer their advice, and crucially, time. There probably isn't the depth around domestic cricket in Australia in comparison to what they are used to, so selection will never be straight forward or universally agreed, but the players that are identified as the future of this Aussie Test side will need to be given opportunities alongside the more consistent performers.

As for Ponting, well I think that's one for another thread.

I actually enjoyed seeing the 'Sprinkler Celebration' at the end. Where the action came from and who invented it matters not a jot, the fact is it's a celebration that has taken off in England, a montage can be seen on one of Swanny's video diaries of people around the country doing their version. The celebration from the team just showed it remembers the fans, it's fun, and it was good to see.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

I don't think Australia need to make too many changes before Sydney.

Bollinger for Harris
    Hauritz for Hilfen-****-haus
    Katich for Hughes
    Haddin at 6 and Smith at 7

I don't know anything about Khawaja so I can't say if he should come in for Smith. It seems a little harsh on Smith though and a second spinner may be handy for the SCG (although from all accounts it is less the turning track it used to be).

Just caught bits of Ponting's most match press conference. It seemed to me that Ponting was making a public case for his retention as a captain and as a player which is an interesting sight to see. But what was worse was that he was still banging on about that Pietersen "knick"; he is still convinced that KP edged it and that KP virtually confessed to it by winking at him during his stoush with Dar.
    Last edited by JBH001; 29-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    I don't think Australia need to make too many changes before Sydney.

Bollinger for Harris
    Hauritz for Hilfen-****-haus
    Katich for Hughes
    Haddin at 6 and Smith at 7

I don't know anything about Khawaja so I can't say if he should come in for Smith. It seems a little harsh on Smith though and a second spinner may be handy for the SCG (although from all accounts it is less the turning track it used to be).

Just caught bits of Ponting's most match press conference. It seemed to me that Ponting was making a public case for his retention as a captain and as a player which is an interesting sight to see. But what was worse was that he was still banging on about that Pietersen "knick"; he is still convinced that KP edged it and that KP virtually confessed to it by winking at him during his stoush with Dar.
    Ponting can get sidetracked by issues of lesser importance. When he does continually whinge about them it doesn't display him in a good light. It's clear to everyone else he didn't nick it, and if he did, he got away with it, move on Ponting.

Which changes are to be made are absolutely open to opinion. In my previous post I suggested time and patience are key with the younger players, which I believe is key, but they have to be sure they have the right men in there. From what I've seen of Hughes and Smith I don't think they have, but hey, what do I know.

Katich must come back in if he's fit, and it is a real shame for them that Harris is out for some time now.

Thread Information