• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ponting wasnt doing too bad as skipper. Cant see how anyone would think that Clarke is much better as captain.

hazsa19

International Regular
Ponting wasnt doing too bad as skipper. Cant see how anyone would think that Clarke is much better as captain.
Well Clarke's just been plain let down by his bowlers, and outplayed by England's batsmen. The only criticism I would have is that he doesn't give them long enough spells, but why should he when they're bowling so poorly?

I honestly believe Ponting's captaincy was terrible. Just the way he was forever changing fields, having a committee, he was desperate to show he could be a good captain. He dictated bizarre fields to his bowlers as far as i'm aware.

But the biggest factor is that both have been let down their bowlers, and batsmen.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Lunch break cant be extended. Reminds of me of 1997 Ashes where England were 9 down in the 4th innings at lunch. Came out and McGrath got Croft first ball after lunch.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect they will. There are players with backbones in that Aussie batting line-up and they will be desperate to avoid the humiliation of another innings defeat. Not sure that Hughes is the ideal opener for this particular task but I'd back some of the others to put in performances

As you say, Hughes not ideal for this situation. You can have all the backbone you want, but if you don't have the skill, it's not much use.

TumTum

Banned
So Clarke's decision to bat first was a really good one, you really don't want to bat last on this ground... oh wait...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is Ponting's team. The time to judge Clarke as a captain is once he's had a bit of time in the job and worked with the coaches and selectors to get the coaching and players he wants, not at the end of a series where Australia had been comprehensively thrashed anyway.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
What possible reason is there to declare?
I'd rather have a few overs at the Aussie openers before lunch. If a wicket falls then Khawaja will have a couple of nervous overs to face before lunch.

I can't see the point in not declaring. What's an extra 20-30 runs when you already have a lead of 320 odd. Demoralising the opposition? Maybe, but I think having them face 4-5 overs before lunch, then having to come out and start again after the lunch break gives more advantage to England.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did I hear that right, highest total by a visiting team to Australia, that would be a surprise.
India scored 700 in Sydney in 2004 did they not?

edit: 1 more run and it's our highest total in Australia, and 2nd highest overall, behind India's 705/7 in 2004.

Last edited: