• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit harsh on Law, only got one Test in the midst of being a ODI regular and scored a red-inked 50.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This shot has been done to death though. And inevitably, if it's someone from the team the commentator supports it's "oh they didn't know it bounced, very hard to tell coming forward" etc. Yet when it's am opposing player it's "he definitely knew it bounced, how can't he know? He's a cheat etc".

It rank stuff, assuming Botham is being accurately reported here (an I dot doubt he is). If Cook says Hughes told him he wasn't sure on the field and has no problem with it, well it ill-behoves a bloke in the comm box to say otherwise.
Nasser asked him outright "Have you changed your mind overnight like you usually do?" but Beef hadn't. Said something along the lines of he didn't know what else to call it but cheating.

Beer's quicker ball btw: hmm. Looks like the flexion is ramped up a little there.

pskov

International 12th Man
Bresnan seems to be in defend or slog it mode at the moment. Just needs to settle down and start maneuvering it about rather than trying to go full bore at every hittable delivery.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussain saying that Bres is "in a bit of a bunker here". Well, no, Nasser, if you'd been watching rather than exchanging matey chat with "Sir Ian", you'd have seen that he's been trying to hit it but keeps picking out the fielders

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussain saying that Bres is "in a bit of a bunker here". Well, no, Nasser, if you'd been watching rather than exchanging matey chat with "Sir Ian", you'd have seen that he's been trying to hit it but keeps picking out the fielders
Yes. Its like he's swinging the club at the ball, but it keeps rolling back down into the bunker.

Clever little analogy that...God I must be bored...

Jacknife

International Captain
It looks like Bres has either taken it upon himself, or has been told to stick with Prior and make sure he doesn't get out , while at the other end Prior plays his shots.To be fair to him, he's had next to no time in the middle.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Don't think that's the case at all. Bres is trying his hardest to get the thing hit, just can't find any timing, or the middle of his bat.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. Its like he's swinging the club at the ball, but it keeps rolling back down into the bunker.

Clever little analogy that...God I must be bored...
Ah, I misunderstood - I thought by "in the bunker" he meant he was keeping his head down, a la Adolf Hitler in 1945. Missed the golfing metaphor completely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least Beer gives it some air, mixes his pace up. Have got this horrible feeling he's going to get ODI'ed into flat dartedness.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This **** has been done to death though. And inevitably, if it's someone from the team the commentator supports it's "oh they didn't know it bounced, very hard to tell coming forward" etc. Yet when it's am opposing player it's "he definitely knew it bounced, how can't he know? He's a cheat etc".

It rank stuff, assuming Botham is being accurately reported here (an I dot doubt he is). If Cook says Hughes told him he wasn't sure on the field and has no problem with it, well it ill-behoves a bloke in the comm box to say otherwise.

As someone pointed out yesterday, that stuff isn't going to work anyway with cameras there and referrals about the place. Fmd, I suppose the line of work you're in sometimes gives an insight, bit I'd flat out rule a line through trying to discern what a bloke is thinking from a facial expression. One bloke's interpretation as a sly smirk or guilt (Hughes yesterday for the Pommy watchers, Bell for the more informed) is another bloke seeing uncertainty.

Point is, the fielder told the batsman he's unsure, and no one blew up either when Bell referred his (again, according to Cook). Everyone off the field reads more onto it than the players.
Botham and Hussain were talking about it on commentary, as Botham's remarks on air seem to have caused a bit of stir in your neck of the woods.

Botham started his "you know when you've caught it" rubbish and Hussain immediately called him out on it. Apparently Hussain watches England do slip catching practice and Collingwood will take the occasional catch diving forward and turn to Strauss and ask if he's caught it cleanly.

edit: when you see the close up replays, Hughes is clearly uncertain. My beef is despite his obvious uncertainty and what Cook said, he had no problems with throwing the ball in the air in delight and accepting high fives from his team mates. I wouldn't call him a cheat, but if he wasn't sure he'd taken it he shouldn't have celebrated. Prior took one in the last Test diving forward and immediately went to the umpire as he wasn't sure.

Last edited: