• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

pup11

International Coach
Sad to hear about Rick, but hope he atleast returns as a player and plays freely and at the same time plays the role of a mentor in the side.
For the Sydney test, there really don't seem to be any deserving captaincy candidates, Clarke would probably get the job and given the other options around he is probably the only choice, which also exposes how beautifully the transition phase has been planned by our great selectors.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hope he comes back for a last hurrah next season tbh. He doesn't deserve to go out like this.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope he comes back for a last hurrah next season tbh. He doesn't deserve to go out like this.
Absolutely. I'm sure he will. Tipping him to come back strong in SL and prove a few doubters wrong.

Burgey

if cricinfo's peter english is to be belived.. he has played his last test....
Not sure Ricky will be hot on the phone to Peter English letting him know his plans.

Still, he's got a 50% chance of being right I guess. Be sad if it is. More Border than WUgh as far as farewells go.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nah his average was terrible. I count three really good innings by pre-drop Clarke - two hundreds and the 90 at Lord's. In, what, 15-20 tests, that's not good enough.

Anyway most of his best innings came in that period from the start of the 2008-9 season to the 09 Ashes.
He got a good 90 in India too in his debut series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yep deserve to walk away with a standing ovation for all those years of good work.just went through some of rob's youtube videos and couldnt bare watching this

YouTube - robelinda2's Channel

his first ton that sob sob :(
It's interesting watching that video. What was remarkable was just how early Ponting was in position to play the shots. He just seems to play everything so late now, which is why his pull shot has deserted him.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
just wondering now that Ricky wont play at Sydney he wont technically be the 2nd aussie captain to lead Australia to 3 ashes defeats if we lose or draw there?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
just wondering now that Ricky wont play at Sydney he wont technically be the 2nd aussie captain to lead Australia to 3 ashes defeats if we lose or draw there?
:laugh:

If only Punter could apply that fiendish cunning to field placement.

I suppose one might admire the Oz selectors for not panicking but equally if one were crictically minded one could accuse them of being so paralysised by fear they've swallowed a golden op. The only changes are those forced by injury (although frankly one suspects an element of convenience about Punter's pinky worsening) & one of those brought back was a bloke who looked like he'd spent his rehab in Mrs Miggins's Pie Shop and was clearly unfir for purpose.

Has DtR played for NSW since Adelaide?

Burgey

I suppose one might admire the Oz selectors for not panicking but equally if one were crictically minded one could accuse them of being so paralysised by fear they've swallowed a golden op. The only changes are those forced by injury (although frankly one suspects an element of convenience about Punter's pinky worsening) & one of those brought back was a bloke who looked like he'd spent his rehab in Mrs Miggins's Pie Shop and was clearly unfir for purpose.

Yeah - at least one Shield game and one or two ODDs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yep. Played one Shield game for figures of:

18-6-55-3
20-5-64-3

Also played a couple of one dayers in that time:

10-0-59-3
8-0-44-1

He's been good basically. Still doesn't look nearly fully fit IMO, but he's bowled well and it's been long spells too. You could've said the same thing before Adelaide too though; he's actually having a really good Shield season.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Making loads of changes for the last test does not make a great deal of sense anyway (how many one or two cap wonders did England hand debut's to in the last test of the summer?) so I can understand the selection apart from the continued omission of Hauritz. Australia not got a test for a good while after this series so makes sense to let these players try and recover some pride before taking stock, would give Ponting the world cup as captain and then move on.

flibbertyjibber

Tough luck on Ponting if this is his last series but that is sport for you.

It will be interesting to see how Khawaja goes, i presume he will bat at 3.

As for the bowling, it has all been tried and all failed at various stages so no reason to think they can turn it round now.