Page 114 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 3604
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I'd also be sticking with Philip Hughes if I were an Australian selector. The kid has some technical deficiencies, but I wonder if his poor record against England is as much to do with England simply having the skill to consistently exploit that weakness. He has a good First Class record and has plenty of time between now and the series in Sri Lanka to play some more Shield and County cricket and work on his game.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Really I can't see anything at all that suggests that Beer is as good or better than Hauritz with the ball. He gets less turn and is around as accurate.

Basically his selection is a case of "Warnie talking up a former teammate". What a joke.
    Based on the Monty 'same player as the beginner' principle, warne seemed to be impressed by beers inquisitiveness about the game. Perhaps he feels that skill + his nature could lead to a test match spinner developing. Cereberal player over a gun talent may be the right path to take if the gun ain't out there.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 04-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Based on the Monty 'same player as the beginner' principle, warne seemed to be impressed by beers inquisitiveness about the game. Perhaps he feels that skill + his nature could lead to a test match spinner developing. Cereberal player over a gun talent may be the right path to take if the gun ain't put there.
    I don't disagree with you at all that an intelligent cricketer is a very valuable thing.

I just question whether Beer is good enough to play for Australia. Nothing that I've seen thus far has indicated that he's earned a spot. There are at least two more spinners who live within an hours drive of the SCG who would have been a better choice.

At least he's kept it tight, which makes Beer an improvement on Doherty.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Looked a reasonably solid spinner, Beer, if unspectacular. Has a nice action, should get some bounce, and got one or two to grip a little. There's nothing to suggest he's a poor bowler, and will be interesting to see how he responds should someone get after him.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I'd also be sticking with Philip Hughes if I were an Australian selector. The kid has some technical deficiencies, but I wonder if his poor record against England is as much to do with England simply having the skill to consistently exploit that weakness. He has a good First Class record and has plenty of time between now and the series in Sri Lanka to play some more Shield and County cricket and work on his game.
    Agree to an extent but there's no way I'm leaving Katich out for him. I'd definitely persist with him over someone like Marsh but I don't have anywhere near enough faith in his immediate ability to leave out a proven player like Katich.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I really hope Collingwood puts in a good innings tonight. This is probably gonna be his last Test and i'd hate for one of my all time favourite cricketers to go out on a whimper. Come on Colly lad! Although tbf he won't be needed when Anderson and Cook get going.
    Heads, Shoulders, Knees, John Stones

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with this, whether he maintains his place in the side, or steps down but remains at first reserve for the openers spot, is a contentious one. You would expect Nielsen will want Katich back in for Sri Lanka, but Hughes' form between now and then might be the decisive factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzorno View Post
    I really hope Collingwood puts in a good innings tonight. This is probably gonna be his last Test and i'd hate for one of my all time favourite cricketers to go out on a whimper. Come on Colly lad! Although tbf he won't be needed when Anderson and Cook get going.
    Yes really hoping Colly produces an innings similar to the one he pulled out against SA when he was in Last Chance Saloon. I expect he'll be more positive than he normally is, he will realise this may be his last opportunity and I'm sure he won't die wondering and try and hit his way out of the slump. Think this is his usual M.O. when he's been in similar situations regarding his form.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Yes, he bowls loads better.

matches batting first 30 56 1096.1 217 3499 129 8/61 11/159 27.12 3.19 50.9 5 2
    matches fielding first 12 24 494.4 74 1753 50 5/69 8/208 35.06 3.54 59.3 2 0
    It's a bit disturbing that (with a bit of effort) this list of apparently random and unexplained numbers actually makes sense to me

School Boy/Girl Cricketer kp4captain's Avatar
    Does it start half an hour earlier today? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kp4captain View Post
    You really need a username change.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You really need a username change.
    Why I think Kerion Pollard stands a good chance of leading Mumbai Indians after Sachin steps down.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Agree to an extent but there's no way I'm leaving Katich out for him. I'd definitely persist with him over someone like Marsh but I don't have anywhere near enough faith in his immediate ability to leave out a proven player like Katich.
    How he's been handled so far smacks of how badly England managed James Anderson for the first 5 years of his career. Either he's backed in the immediate future based on his FC record so far or he's told to go back to FC cricket and work on his game. Constantly shunting him in and out of the side benefits noone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Mumbai Indians
    Saying that in an Ashes thread is a bannable offence. Consider this your one and only warning.

Quote Originally Posted by kp4captain View Post
    According to Sky Sports News play starts at 11pm Empire Time.

Thread Information