• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

simmy

International Regular
Hughes and Smith have to play in Sydney. Both are players to watch for the future and there's no point giving them a couple of games and discarding them. Hughes more so than Smith obviously, but as a couple of members have pointed out, Smith does seem up to it mentally, and that's what the selectors of the 80s used when picking and sticking with blokes like Healy and Steve Waugh, who as we all know took years to score his first Test century. These young players have talent; pick them and back them.

Edit: TBF though, if it's a choice between Khawaja or Smith, get Usman in there ASAP.
Hughes is terrible, I just don't see what the rest of you guys see in him.

Yes he may have scored some runs in some games I didn't watch but from what I have seen of him he looks hopeless as an opening bat. Surely Usman is the smarter option. He looks solid.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm really beginning to love Trott. Must be this whole scoring-massive-centuries thing he's picked up.
Well, 5 centuries in 17 Tests with an average of 64.00 will do that, just like North....oops his average was only 35.48...... :@

Edit...oops, North took 19 Tests to get 5 centuries...

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
There is still plenty for Australia, and England, to play for in this final Test. For England, series victories in Australia historically come along few and far between, while we are on top, buoyant from retaining the Ashes, it is vital we claim the series aswell.

Would be scant consolation to deprive England of that victory for Australia, yet it would ensure they don't lose the series, and there would be some satisfaction in taking some of the gloss off England's retention of the urn.

England have been the better side, but a 2-2 series score would not suggest that.

Strauss has said absolutely all the right things since winning in Melbourne, this is a step towards our aim of becoming the number one side in the world, our immediate focus is winning this next Test and with it the series, etc. Let's hope those words are backed up by the necessary actions, and you do get the feeling with the meticulous Andy Flower in charge, that they will be fully charged and ready to go for the jugular in Sydney, without believing our job is already done.

Is it all doom and gloom for Australia ? Things aren't half as bad as they currently seem. With all the emotion of an Ashes failure comes over-reaction, over the top criticism, and a genuine feeling of everything in the structure is wrong. It is cyclical we all know that, and it's now up to the management to plot their way back to the top. So the key experienced players need to be identified, Hussey and Haddin the two that led the way for them in this series are certainties to maintain their places for the foreseeable. As to who the best youngsters are around, that is open to interpretation and skill at making correct judgements. Is it Smith, Khawaja, Hughes, Ferguson, etc, whoever is chosen, the patience with them is key.

For Australia to get the next phase in their rebuilding right, it will take clarity of thought, some well sought opinions from those in the best positions to offer their advice, and crucially, time. There probably isn't the depth around domestic cricket in Australia in comparison to what they are used to, so selection will never be straight forward or universally agreed, but the players that are identified as the future of this Aussie Test side will need to be given opportunities alongside the more consistent performers.

As for Ponting, well I think that's one for another thread.

I actually enjoyed seeing the 'Sprinkler Celebration' at the end. Where the action came from and who invented it matters not a jot, the fact is it's a celebration that has taken off in England, a montage can be seen on one of Swanny's video diaries of people around the country doing their version. The celebration from the team just showed it remembers the fans, it's fun, and it was good to see.

JBH001

International Regular
I don't think Australia need to make too many changes before Sydney.

Bollinger for Harris
Hauritz for Hilfen-****-haus
Katich for Hughes
Haddin at 6 and Smith at 7

I don't know anything about Khawaja so I can't say if he should come in for Smith. It seems a little harsh on Smith though and a second spinner may be handy for the SCG (although from all accounts it is less the turning track it used to be).

Just caught bits of Ponting's most match press conference. It seemed to me that Ponting was making a public case for his retention as a captain and as a player which is an interesting sight to see. But what was worse was that he was still banging on about that Pietersen "knick"; he is still convinced that KP edged it and that KP virtually confessed to it by winking at him during his stoush with Dar.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think Australia need to make too many changes before Sydney.

Bollinger for Harris
Hauritz for Hilfen-****-haus
Katich for Hughes
Haddin at 6 and Smith at 7

I don't know anything about Khawaja so I can't say if he should come in for Smith. It seems a little harsh on Smith though and a second spinner may be handy for the SCG (although from all accounts it is less the turning track it used to be).

Just caught bits of Ponting's most match press conference. It seemed to me that Ponting was making a public case for his retention as a captain and as a player which is an interesting sight to see. But what was worse was that he was still banging on about that Pietersen "knick"; he is still convinced that KP edged it and that KP virtually confessed to it by winking at him during his stoush with Dar.
Ponting can get sidetracked by issues of lesser importance. When he does continually whinge about them it doesn't display him in a good light. It's clear to everyone else he didn't nick it, and if he did, he got away with it, move on Ponting.

Which changes are to be made are absolutely open to opinion. In my previous post I suggested time and patience are key with the younger players, which I believe is key, but they have to be sure they have the right men in there. From what I've seen of Hughes and Smith I don't think they have, but hey, what do I know.

Katich must come back in if he's fit, and it is a real shame for them that Harris is out for some time now.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone is calling for Bollinger and i would looove to seem him there. I'm think he's a decent bowler and everything, but he'll create some nice rough for Swanneh too - always the danger with having two left armers. I do hope its a turner. What do the locals think? Has it been turning in Shield games?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well Nathan Hauritz has been taking wickets, so there's good evidence that the pitch is taking turn.

However, the wickets prepared for Shield matches are not the same as those put together for Tests. Take the Gabba for example.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Nathan Hauritz has been taking wickets, so there's good evidence that the pitch is taking turn.

However, the wickets prepared for Shield matches are not the same as those put together for Tests. Take the Gabba for example.
I think Haurie took his 5 fer in Perth of all places, this year. It will always take turn in Sydney, but without looking at the Shield stats, I think the quicks have done well here this season, it bring a damp summer so far.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Bresnan
8. Swann
9. Tremlett
10. Anderson
11. Panesar
Well, IF it looks like being a spinners wicket, I would have no probs with this, Colly isn't performing, moves Bell up to five, and yet still with plenty of support after him. Will never in a million years happen though:)

King Pietersen

International Captain
We still need to win this game, I think it's a massive risk playing Bresnan at 7, especially without Broad in the side. Swann will be enough spin against this Australian batting line-up to get the job done, we don't need 5 bowlers. Same team for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wouldn't say Ponting's series was very good. And Clarke's technical flaw has been back in his game for a while now, I'm hardly surprised.
This being playing away from his body? He's never stopped doing that...
Stronger bottom hand, resulting with him going harder at the ball. Just asking to edge it.
Watch closely, I think the bigger problem is that his front foot is moving across the crease as the ball is being bowled. It means that he struggles to get a positive stride in when the ball is straight, as his momentum is going across the crease; it stops any access to stepping down the pitch with a big stride to play at the straight ball. It is, in my opinion, why he ends up playing so many balls on the walk.

I wonder if this started to appear a few months after Lara left him? Takes a while to build that muscle up...or so I'm told.
Clarke's left handed, if anything losing Lara should have helped his top hand strength...

pasag

RTDAS
What's your beef with Khawaja?
In an ideal world, I'd like to see him play perhaps another season of domestic cricket, a season in England and a couple of ODIs for international exposure before he gets given the baggy green, so when he does debut he's much more of a finished product. He's such an exciting prospect that I don't want to see his transition into Tests mismanaged. However, I do concede that he's probably one of the best bats in the country at the moment and thus has every right to be in the side, hence "begrudgingly".

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Judging by what Strauss said after this game, I think the focus should be OK. But you're right: a drawn series would be a let-down after what's happened to date. Maybe that's why I was less elated today than after Day 3, when the game was pretty much won. Now the focus has to be on sealing the deal at Sydney.
Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Bell and Anderson were all at Sydney 4 years ago when Australia confirmed the first Ashes whitewash for 80 odd years and watched as Ponting lifted the urn and McGrath, Warne and Langer all took their curtain calls after proceedings were done.

I don't doubt for a second that those guys in particular will be motivated to put that right.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In an ideal world, I'd like to see him play perhaps another season of domestic cricket, a season in England and a couple of ODIs for international exposure before he gets given the baggy green, so when he does debut he's much more of a finished product. He's such an exciting prospect that I don't want to see his transition into Tests mismanaged. However, I do concede that he's probably one of the best bats in the country at the moment and thus has every right to be in the side, therefore "begrudgingly".
Except Khawaja in his short career so far has been horrible in one dayers, bar his recent ton domestically. In fact, just checking who's been doing what in the Ryobi Cup, Khawaja has scored 20 runs in his other 4 innings this season. Blooding him in ODIs is a stupid idea IMO - why should a failure there (which would be expected) preclude him from selection in the format to which he seems best suited at the moment? That sounds like something England would have done 5 years ago.