Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Arent the county laws different now? I thought aussies werent allowed to play CC unless they were already playing for Australia, or something like that.
    Think it's the Kolpak rules that have been tightened so that counties can't just fill their sides with random South Africans - if the rules were that tight then Mark Cosgrove, David Hussey and Chris Rodgers wouldn't be playing County Cricket year in year out.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylez View Post
    Ferguson's last few FC seasons have been pretty solid actually. Is having a pretty good FC season with the bat at the moment to .
    Not really, its been solid but not knocking down the door.

Not really, its been solid but not knocking down the door.
    In the limited games Ferguson has played this year, he has been impressive compared to most other candidates.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Think it's the Kolpak rules that have been tightened so that counties can't just fill their sides with random South Africans - if the rules were that tight then Mark Cosgrove, David Hussey and Chris Rodgers wouldn't be playing County Cricket year in year out.
    I think it has been tightened a bit but the question is how many of the Australians would a county genuinely want to sign.

Got to consider how long someone will be available for with other commitments and whether they will be worth picking comparing value for money with other overseas players.

I'm trying to think how many of the current side have played county cricket recently, not many is it?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Nah Hughes played a few games for us last season (and of course Middlesex last year) and I think a couple (certainly Smith) popped up in the twenty20 apart from that don't think any of them have in the last couple of years. Certainly makes a change from a few years ago when Hampshire alone had spells from Watson, Katich and Clarke.

Ferguson is not even close to a spot. Just hasnt got the form this season in FC cricket, or actually EVER in FC cricket. Marsh and Khawaja in front you'd think.
    Marsh is just Ferguson 2.0, this current season, I'd rather none of them get a spot at this current time. There only considered because of their age being that 25-30 range. If we need to pick a batsman with experience and around that age I'd go with White, or even Cosgrove ahead of those Marsh. Khawaja deserves a run but.
    With much love & smiles.

IMO the pecking order should have Khawaja the clear leader with Dussey and White just behind in the short term.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    I really like Cosgroves batting. Stoked that he's found form with Tassie. I do like Ferguson, but he comes across as a softish player, I want to see him really dominate a FC season and show his class.

Only Shaun Marsh's biggest fan would pick Marsh for Australia.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Spectator
    I really like Cosgroves batting. Stoked that he's found form with Tassie. I do like Ferguson, but he comes across as a softish player, I want to see him really dominate a FC season and show his class.
    Australia has to get away from the Gen-Y type of players and that includes Ferguson. His record for SA indicates sweet FA at first class level.

I make 5-6 changes for Sydney. I bring in Cowan, Klinger, Usman and White for Hughes, Ponting, Clarke and Smith and Hauritz or O'Keefe for Harris.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Only Shaun Marsh's biggest fan would pick Marsh for Australia.
    You'd be surprised......

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    I make 5-6 changes for Sydney. I bring in Cowan, Klinger, Usman and White for Hughes, Ponting, Clarke and Smith and Hauritz or O'Keefe for Harris.
    ARGH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!?!b

You know what'll happen? We'll bring in truckloads of young, inexperienced players without the experienced hands to guide them in Ponting and Clarke, and we'll get thrashed again, and then we'll dump them and the cycle will start again. Eventually we'll have gone through most young players in the country and we'll look back and think "hey, maybe we should've kept those blokes with thousands of test runs..."

Might as well recall Border with that attitude.

With an eye to post Ashes -
    Changes will need to be made at some point and with aging players who appear to be in terminal decline, after captaining their side to an unprecedented 3rd Ashes series loss; it appears to be as good a time as any.
    I wouldn't say wholesale changes are necessarily required. Ponting will need to be replaced and personally I think Khawaja's the man and he should get a decent run of Tests. Clarke should stay, still quality just out of form, but drop back to 5 below Hussey, a position he's always played better in. His record at 4 is ridiculous really. I'd say Smith out and a batsman in, there's a case to be made for persisting with Hughes and bringing Katich into the middle order, otherwise I'd have Cameron White. Would be a good person for Clarke to have in the side to turn to during his early captaincy reign, solves the slip fielding issue and is one of the best qualified options in the country I'd suggest.
    Hauritz ought to come in for Harris, no damage done to your tail there and he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place IMO.
    Seam bowling is anybody's guess though, other than Siddle. Hilfenhaus really should be replaced and Johnson should be told if he can't maintain any level of accuracy when not bowling at the top of his game then he can do one too.

Watson
    Katich/Hughes
    Khawaja
    Hussey
    Clake
    White/Katich
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Johnson
    Siddle
    ???? Copeland? Bollinger?

Yeah but you don't just drop everyone who happens to have had a bad test or two, especially when they're young. Otherwise you'll run out players to drop.

The team you've picked makes a lot of sense though.

Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information