• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff's last tweet, the only dampener on this afternoons session so far.:unsure:

Cook goes past Suttclife now, the records they are tumbling.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seeing batsmen average 100+ in a series provides a nice insight into how Bradman must have played for his whole test career. We barely look like getting Cook out!
Reminds me of Waugh in 89.

You will still be having nightmares of this Cook series in 20 years. :laugh:

Burgey

How do we get him out then if he isn't batting like a conventional player?
Well you don't lose patience for one. Full, on off stump and be prepared to be driven. Sadly this requires thought and control.

McGrath tortured him so much with it last time that by tour's end he was getting so far across he was going out lbw.

hazsa19

International Regular
Seeing batsmen average 100+ in a series provides a nice insight into how Bradman must have played for his whole test career. We barely look like getting Cook out!
Absolutely.

There was a wonderful interview played yesterday during the lunch break on the BBC TMS service. One of their young journalists talked to Arthur Morris in depth, it was a fascinating insight into the Aussie side in those years, and into Sir Don himself.

There was a lovely section where they talked about Australia's mammoth effort to score 404 on the last day in Leeds to win a Test Match. In which Bradman and Morris scored huge centuries.

I'm hoping they will provide a link on the website sometime soon.

Burgey

Absolutely.

There was a wonderful interview played yesterday during the lunch break on the BBC TMS service. One of their young journalists talked to Arthur Morris in depth, it was a fascinating insight into the Aussie side in those years, and into Sir Don himself.

There was a lovely section where they talked about Australia's mammoth effort to score 404 on the last day in Leeds to win a Test Match. In which Bradman and Morris scored huge centuries.

That sounds great.

I loved the story Miller told how he and Lindwall got in at about six one morning on that tour and Bradman caught them as he was in the hotel hallway doing some exercises. Nothing was said.

Australia fielded in a tour match that day and rolled the county side for some horrendously low total, with those two blokes taking the wickets. At the end of the innings Bradman walked up and said "You two realise you were going to bowl all day until they were out, don't you?"

Can't see Clarke saying that tbh. Or anyone these days for that matter.

hazsa19

International Regular
Absolutely.

BBC - Tom Fordyce: In the company of a legend

Really worth a read, and you can listen to it on the podcast they release.

Redbacks

International Captain
Continually fullish outside off. Don't bowl short and don't bowl at him which is exactly what the Aussies have done.
Well you don't lose patience for one. Full, on off stump and be prepared to be driven. Sadly this requires thought and control.

McGrath tortured him so much with it last time that by tour's end he was getting so far across he was going out lbw.
I guess it's down to these two issues. We can't bowl consistently enough to dry up his runs from his strongest areas, and as a result he has barely played and missed all series, seems like every ball outside off stump that couldn't be scored from has been left alone or easily defended if closer to the stumps.

Seems to be perfect execution of the D Hookes philosophy, a) can I attack, b) can I defend/work away, c) do I need to play a shot. He's done it all too well this series.

flibbertyjibber

Should be looking for a 200 run lead here at least.

50 for Bell, good knock. better go on now and get the ton his tour deserves.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Cook has been amazing this summer. I hope this is a watershed moment for his career and he maintains this sort of form for as long as possible. He's still insanely young.