• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phil Jaques

slippy888

International Captain
Where did he go, the guy scored a test match century the last test match he played back in 2008 against the west indies, surely he is a better option than Hughes and Smith.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not averaged over 40 in a season since 07/08. Is averaging 20.41 this season, only managed an average of 31 in England last year.

Woodster

International Captain
Jaques' form has been particularly poor for a man of his ability. Would be unfair on him, perhaps as it has been on Hughes, to be selected for Test cricket when your confidence must be pretty low. I have always regarded Jaques as one of Australia's best options since Langer retired, but he simply hasn't backed up his talent with anything like good enough consistent performances in Australia or here in England.

Chris Rogers is another genuine opener of some talent, but has been overlooked despite a succession of very good seasons. A man that knows how to build an innings, to score big runs and concentrate for very long periods of time. Had he not injured his knee earlier this year and got a few runs under his belt in the Sheffield Shield, maybe he'd have got the nod ahead of Hughes.

Craig

World Traveller
Jaques' form has been particularly poor for a man of his ability. Would be unfair on him, perhaps as it has been on Hughes, to be selected for Test cricket when your confidence must be pretty low. I have always regarded Jaques as one of Australia's best options since Langer retired, but he simply hasn't backed up his talent with anything like good enough consistent performances in Australia or here in England.

Chris Rogers is another genuine opener of some talent, but has been overlooked despite a succession of very good seasons. A man that knows how to build an innings, to score big runs and concentrate for very long periods of time. Had he not injured his knee earlier this year and got a few runs under his belt in the Sheffield Shield, maybe he'd have got the nod ahead of Hughes.
From what I have gathered, it's Rogers personality is what gets held against him.

Woodster

International Captain
From what I have gathered, it's Rogers personality is what gets held against him.
Would have thought they may have turned the other cheek in this case, but who knows. Would have been an ideal man to fill in for the series while Katich is out and Hughes could have remained with NSW to try and find some form.

But of course, if as you say, there are issues with his personality and certain people don't want him in then he may have been kept out in the cold anyway.

Julian87

State Captain
Such bad timing for Jaques to be struck down with what, from all reports, was a devastating injury and come back. He simply hasn't been the same since. I haven't seen him bat long periods at all. He seems to be genuinely struggling before he hits 50. Such a shame.

Was the forgotten man of one day cricket too. So much better than Darsh in that format.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would have thought they may have turned the other cheek in this case, but who knows. Would have been an ideal man to fill in for the series while Katich is out and Hughes could have remained with NSW to try and find some form.

But of course, if as you say, there are issues with his personality and certain people don't want him in then he may have been kept out in the cold anyway.
Chris Rogers got injured early this Shield season and hasn't yet made a return. He would've been in the frame otherwise.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's wrong with Jaques's personality, ooc? There's been 'different' characters playing for Australia in the past.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really liked Jaques but it does appear he has never properly got over the injury which is a real shame for both him and Australia as he would have been a very useful opener for you on his old form.

Woodster

International Captain
Chris Rogers got injured early this Shield season and hasn't yet made a return. He would've been in the frame otherwise.
Yes mate, that's exactly what I said in an earlier post, before his perceived personality problem was alluded to.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Such a shame for Jaques really. I still think he has a lot to offer Australian cricket, but he's dreadfully out of form at the moment.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
As he said, "a better option than Hughes and Smith"
The poor guy is in a form freefall since that injury, at one stage there was a cue of openers ready to go, now there appears to be none in form. Klinger must be kicking himself.

Unfortunately I don't think he would have. Hughes is the next great white hope

Woodster

International Captain
Unfortunately I don't think he would have. Hughes is the next great white hope
Yes but the timing would have suited a batsman of experience, oodles and oodles of proven calibre behind him in the form of thousands of first-class runs, even if it was a short-term measure till Katich returns and Hughes could have attempted to find some form.

It wasn't to be.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Rogers time was really when he debuted. Unfortunately they went for Jaques long term, and by the time Jaques was out of the team, the selectors (justifiably so) wanted Katich in the team in any position due to weight of domestic runs. Then of course Hughes came along. Sadly so, Rogers is an outstanding opening batsman with a watertight technique and we will probably never know how good he could have been, or how valuable he would have been in the last 12 months in particular.