• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Ponting and the aussies know what to say in these reviews. Admit fault. Put a positive spin on events. Look the referee in the eye etc.

Unlike certain players from WI who insist on their innocence and end up with a ban.
That is a fair point, but there are other examples of unfair treatment such as Mcgrath getting off scott free in the famous Antigua test and Ridley Jacobs ban for getting a false stumping which he didn't even appeal for and pleaded guilty for.

My point still stands.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Disclaimer: Bitter West Indies fan here, read at your own risk.

Scenario 1: Everyone knows Sulieman Benn is a bit of a dibdobdibdob. He makes a serious transgression, gets the book thrown at him. Outcome is a big suspension.

Scenario 2: Everyone knows Ricky Ponting is a bit of a dibdobdibdob. He makes a serious transgression, gets a slap on the wrist. Outcome is no suspension at all and a meager fine.

Does that sound like consistent and fair treatment for all Test playing nations and their cricketers? Whilst that might be an over-simplification of the matter, I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.

There is a huge disparity between the punishments handed out by different match referees, leading to some teams coming off significantly worse than others in the suspension and fine stakes. This must stop as it will only lead to ugly scenes such as India's last tour of Australia if it is allowed to continue.
It's weird - I swear I've seen match fines for 'dissent' that would barely be categorized as anything near what Ponting did.

I reiterate that I think the whole idea of fining/suspending for dissent is quite stupid - I'd much rather suspend/fine for wasting time. Although part of that is Aleem Dar's fault - he has the ability to tell Ponting to go **** himself and go back to his position. There is no need for him to justify his decision since there is no chance it will be changed.

However, working within the framework and past offenses by other players, this is definitely a very light sentence.

Jacknife

International Captain
If Ponting had been dealt with more harshly, in his previous transgressions, we probably wouldn't of seen the incident that took place yesterday. The ICC in a way, have let him get away with this kind of thing for too long, so he's going to keep on pushing the boundaries, till he gets dealt with more seriously. They've missed another chance to punish him appropriately and thus if he stays in the team it will happen again at some point.

Woodster

International Captain
The Ashes wouldn't be the same without an under pressure Ponting blowing off on some unsuspecting individual on the basis that he is feeling extreme pressure and his role as captain slowly slipping away. It was unacceptable behaviour clearly, you cannot strongly object to an umpires decision for such a lengthy period of time, making it even worse was the fact that it was Ponting that was wrong and the umpires had made the correct decision.

He has history though, this is not his first transgression from the accepted levels of behaviour. I wouldn't have liked to see him get banned, but we have to see consistency right across the board. That's all I ask for.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He certainly got off very lightly. And this wasn't the first time in this series that he's sworn at Aleem Dar - the stump mic picked it up at, I think, Adelaide ("that's ****ing weak umpiring, Aleem, that's ****ing weak umpiring"), and his language was also pretty obvious for an amateur lip-reader at the MCG yesterday.

What makes the incident so weird is that dear old Ricky was so obviously wrong. The mark you saw on hotspot clearly had nothing to do with the ball, which had passed several inches higher up the bat. And this was exactly what Aleem Dar kept on pointing out to him. Yet he kept on and on with his outburst, and judging by his Ch 9 interview with Mark Taylor he still seems to reckon he was in the right.

Anyhow, what with KP being booed on reaching 50 (I don't care about him being booed to the crease), a poor day Down Under for Ricky's beloved Spirit of Cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Ashes wouldn't be the same without an under pressure Ponting blowing off on some unsuspecting individual on the basis that he is feeling extreme pressure and his role as captain slowly slipping away. It was unacceptable behaviour clearly, you cannot strongly object to an umpires decision for such a lengthy period of time, making it even worse was the fact that it was Ponting that was wrong and the umpires had made the correct decision.

He has history though, this is not his first transgression from the accepted levels of behaviour. I wouldn't have liked to see him get banned, but we have to see consistency right across the board. That's all I ask for.
Haha I was thinking this. It wouldn't be a modern-day Ashes test series without Ponting blowing his top and looking like a douchebag. Only time it doesn't happen is when he's winning 5-0 :dry:

Craig

World Traveller
Would you still be saying that if Ricky Ponting played for India? Geniune question as well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I loved the revisionism from C9 this morning. Mark Nicholas not even suggesting that the edge was in doubt - to him, it was a certainty and the technology was deficient in not showing it up. Utter codswallop. C9 should be ashamed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mark Nicholas should have his British citizenship revoked tbh, filthy crimophile that he is.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would you still be saying that if Ricky Ponting played for India? Geniune question as well.
Considering the amount of **** I give to Sreesanth for being a ****head and sledging batsmen, I think the answer is obvious.

Same with Harbhajan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In the interview on C9 Ponting basically just said that he spoke to Dar for too long. Saying he didn't say anything wrong.

Would love to hear what Dar thought, but doubt that'll happen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the interview on C9 Ponting basically just said that he spoke to Dar for too long. Saying he didn't say anything wrong.

Would love to hear what Dar thought, but doubt that'll happen.
He actually said Dar and the other umpire (Hill?) said the same thing at the hearing.

Burgey

He certainly got off very lightly. And this wasn't the first time in this series that he's sworn at Aleem Dar - the stump mic picked it up at, I think, Adelaide ("that's ****ing weak umpiring, Aleem, that's ****ing weak umpiring"), and his language was also pretty obvious for an amateur lip-reader at the MCG yesterday.

What makes the incident so weird is that dear old Ricky was so obviously wrong. The mark you saw on hotspot clearly had nothing to do with the ball, which had passed several inches higher up the bat. And this was exactly what Aleem Dar kept on pointing out to him. Yet he kept on and on with his outburst, and judging by his Ch 9 interview with Mark Taylor he still seems to reckon he was in the right.

Anyhow, what with KP being booed on reaching 50 (I don't care about him being booed to the crease), a poor day Down Under for Ricky's beloved Spirit of Cricket
Pietersen is a **** though. Should be booed for breathing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He actually said Dar and the other umpire (Hill?) said the same thing at the hearing.
Ah right I must have missed that bit. Fair enough.

Still think 40% is light. Just as much as what he said, the look is actually important. The whole point of the spirit of cricket is not only to ensure the umpires on the field are respected, but umpires at junior level, grade level etc. are respected.

You don't want finger pointing and aggressive looks at umpires at junior level from 16 year old brats, just because their hero did it.

Burgey

Ah right I must have missed that bit. Fair enough.

Still think 40% is light. Just as much as what he said, the look is actually important. The whole point of the spirit of cricket is not only to ensure the umpires on the field are respected, but umpires at junior level, grade level etc. are respected.

You don't want finger pointing and aggressive looks at umpires at junior level from 16 year old brats, just because their hero did it.
Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you, it was a bad look for sure, and he said as much himself. Forty per cent was too light IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Burge if you were an umpire when I was playing junior cricket I'd slap you with my **** if you didn't give the batsman out.