• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
One thing about other/former leaders, is that all their indiscretions were aimed at opposition, not at officials. He challenges the umpires more often than pretty much anyone I can think of.

From memory, anyways.
In fact I can't remember too many other cases of players remonstrating at length with on-field umps at all.

AaronK

State Regular
What a saur loser? Ricky Douchting from now on..

I still think if the umpire wasn't Aleam Daar, he would have behaved.. lets say the likes of maybe simon tuofal or any other Aussie Umpire...or maybe English Umpire.. A pakistani umpire is an easy target regardless of how good he has been on the field throughout the tournment..

the sad part is the he is getting away just with 40% fine..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a saur loser? Ricky Douchting from now on..

I still think if the umpire wasn't Aleam Daar, he would have behaved.. lets say the likes of maybe simon tuofal or any other Aussie Umpire...or maybe English Umpire.. A pakistani umpire is an easy target regardless of how good he has been on the field throughout the tournment..

the sad part is the he is getting away just with 40% fine..
AaronK in playing the race card shocker.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still think if the umpire wasn't Aleam Daar, he would have behaved.. lets say the likes of maybe simon tuofal or any other Aussie Umpire...or maybe English Umpire.. A pakistani umpire is an easy target regardless of how good he has been on the field throughout the tournment...
:laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tipping after 150 tests, he's likely heard it all before.

Probably never in as high a voice as Anderson's though :ph34r:
Jimmeh has a surprisingly deep voice for a skinny lad, actually.

But fair point even if I suspect it won't put them off trying.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If the ICC follow their own rules, Ponting will get a fine because he was delaying play because of dissent.

He can only get a ban if he is judged to have been abusive or threatening. So we can't really comment on that until we know exactly what he said.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This would have been a bigger issue if Australia ended up winning, ala Sydney-gate.

England will likely win this test, possibly by a very very large margin, and hold on to the Ashes.

It'll be more self-criticism from Australians than opposition/international criticism, which occurred in Sydney 08.

Bun

Banned
The match referee just outdid Ponting. This is like his fourth conviction right? Most people get bans for their second conviction.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Far too small a fine, the last thing we want is football-style surrounding the referee.

Anyway, this series Gary Pratt moment anyone?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reading about it this morning reminded me of the 1st Test when this happened:

Finn to Clarke, no run, 84.7 mph, review time! England are convinced they have Clarke caught behind, Aleem Dar says no. Let's find out! Clarke has the bat away from his body and there is a noise as it goes past, but Hot Spot doesn't show anything. Not out is the final call!

Now then, England have lost both their reviews! They were utterly convinced that was out. Strauss is shaking his head after that. He is still sure there was an edge.
And it turned out that that one was actually out.

Last edited:

jackster83

Cricket Spectator
He deserved a suspension for that outburst but then again it's probably a bigger punishment for the side to not suspend him.

I'll bet the Barmy Army will give him a nice reception when he walks out to bat in the second dig.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting and the aussies know what to say in these reviews. Admit fault. Put a positive spin on events. Look the referee in the eye etc.

Unlike certain players from WI who insist on their innocence and end up with a ban.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Disclaimer: Bitter West Indies fan here, read at your own risk.

Scenario 1: Everyone knows Sulieman Benn is a bit of a dibdobdibdob. He makes a serious transgression, gets the book thrown at him. Outcome is a big suspension.

Scenario 2: Everyone knows Ricky Ponting is a bit of a dibdobdibdob. He makes a serious transgression, gets a slap on the wrist. Outcome is no suspension at all and a meager fine.

Does that sound like consistent and fair treatment for all Test playing nations and their cricketers? Whilst that might be an over-simplification of the matter, I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.

There is a huge disparity between the punishments handed out by different match referees, leading to some teams coming off significantly worse than others in the suspension and fine stakes. This must stop as it will only lead to ugly scenes such as India's last tour of Australia if it is allowed to continue.