• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

What should Ponting's punishment be?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds about right this :ph34r:

Lol. Hope the Poms jack up and piss off home, thereby forfeiting.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This % of match fee malarky isn't even really much of a fine, is it? Should be more than 100% of match fee, then see how they like it. And no punishment at all for Siddle.

I wonder what you have to do to actually incur a ban these days?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, I remember Simon Jones getting fined about the same for pointing Hayden to the pavilion, back in 05.

Pissweak punishment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This % of match fee malarky isn't even really much of a fine, is it? Should be more than 100% of match fee, then see how they like it. And no punishment at all for Siddle.

I wonder what you have to do to actually incur a ban these days?
Slow overrates. That produces the threat of suspension. That is when Ponting will actually change his behaviour, and bowl part-timers :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm amazed Siddle hasn't gotten punished. He's damned lucky he was told to piss off otherwise he probably would've carried on as well.

Although, given the severity of the "punishment", maybe it's rather pointless luck.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Ponting is soft.

I was recently wondering to myself who the better batsman was: Ricky Ponting or Steve Waugh? Ponting is more talented, no doubt. But Steve Waugh was tough and never would have done what Ponting did today.

Australia being on the backfoot reminded me of how many times Waugh would come out, with a ton of pressure on his shoulders, and just nut out tough well-constructed, patient, innings. The man was so cool under pressure.

Ponting is a more talented batsman, but he's soft.

Under the captaincy of Ricky Ponting the Australian cricket team has gone from being the most hated side in cricket, to being one of the worst sides in sport.

I've never seen a person more sensitive to criticism than Ricky Ponting. In 2005 when Australia lost the Ashes he never got over that. If you read his book he's still looking for those two runs at Edgbaston, claiming poor umpiring decisions cost that game.

When Phil Tuffey took some light jabs at him during the Allan Border Medal in 2006, Ponting took offense to everything.

He was forever defending himself for talking to his team-mates etc too.

Ponting's probably Australia's third best batsman ever (after Bradman and Chappell), but we're seeing the crumbling of an empire here. The rise and fall of Australian cricket. And it's happened under Ponting's captaincy.

Under Ponting the rest of the Aussies have gone soft too. And Michael Clarke will make a vile captain when he succeeds Ponting.

Right now he's one of my most hated cricketers, right up there with Stephen Fleming, Graeme Smith, Shane Bond, Chris Cairnes, and Daniel Vettori.

I know I'm being harsh in this post, but his behaviour is terrible. He acts like a spoiled brat when his team is struggling.

If Australia's dominance arose from Allan Border and the tough times they had now, their decline is partly attributed to the easy rise Ponting had with all those great Aussie sides, boosted by Warne, Waugh and McGrath.

Ponting's just soft. I don't know if I want to rate him higher than Steve Waugh. Waugh wasn't as talented, but he was a winner, and he eat up pressure like it with nothing.

Ponting's falling apart.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting is soft.

I was recently wondering to myself who the better batsman was: Ricky Ponting or Steve Waugh? Ponting is more talented, no doubt. But Steve Waugh was tough and never would have done what Ponting did today.

Australia being on the backfoot reminded me of how many times Waugh would come out, with a ton of pressure on his shoulders, and just nut out tough well-constructed, patient, innings. The man was so cool under pressure.

Ponting is a more talented batsman, but he's soft.

Under the captaincy of Ricky Ponting the Australian cricket team has gone from being the most hated side in cricket, to being one of the worst sides in sport.

I've never seen a person more sensitive to criticism than Ricky Ponting. In 2005 when Australia lost the Ashes he never got over that. If you read his book he's still looking for those two runs at Edgbaston, claiming poor umpiring decisions cost that game.

When Phil Tuffey took some light jabs at him during the Allan Border Medal in 2006, Ponting took offense to everything.

He was forever defending himself for talking to his team-mates etc too.

Ponting's probably Australia's third best batsman ever (after Bradman and Chappell), but we're seeing the crumbling of an empire here. The rise and fall of Australian cricket. And it's happened under Ponting's captaincy.

Under Ponting the rest of the Aussies have gone soft too. And Michael Clarke will make a vile captain when he succeeds Ponting.

Right now he's one of my most hated cricketers, right up there with Stephen Fleming, Graeme Smith, Shane Bond, Chris Cairnes, and Daniel Vettori.

I know I'm being harsh in this post, but his behaviour is terrible. He acts like a spoiled brat when his team is struggling.

If Australia's dominance arose from Allan Border and the tough times they had now, their decline is partly attributed to the easy rise Ponting had with all those great Aussie sides, boosted by Warne, Waugh and McGrath.

Ponting's just soft. I don't know if I want to rate him higher than Steve Waugh. Waugh wasn't as talented, but he was a winner, and he eat up pressure like it with nothing.

Ponting's falling apart.
Another exhibit of the kind of mentality that pisses me off so much. This is a truly terrible post.

Soft, eh?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
That was an awesome innings by Ponting. And it's the best example of him showing a toughness that Steve Waugh had. But right now his form is suffering because of the criticism he's taking.

Another good example of Ponting rising to the occasion was in 1999 when he made three/four ducks and then made a double-century as a response.

He's been a champion player. This is best shown by the 2003 World Cup Final.

But as a leader he's not in the Border, Taylor, Waugh mold. They were tough leaders who could handle pressure. Ponting's spat today was a reaction to the intense pressure he's feeling. He desperately wanted a wicket and stooped to a new low.

Burgey

Francis, is what you're saying in terms of toughness, that Ponting lets the pressure of captaincy affect his own form and state of mind more than Waugh and Border?

Spark

Global Moderator
That was an awesome innings by Ponting. And it's the best example of him showing a toughness that Steve Waugh had. But right now his form is suffering because of the criticism he's taking.

Another good example of Ponting rising to the occasion was in 1999 when he made three/four ducks and then made a double-century as a response.

He's been a champion player. This is best shown by the 2003 World Cup Final.

But as a leader he's not in the Border, Taylor, Waugh mold. They were tough leaders who could handle pressure. Ponting's spat today was a reaction to the intense pressure he's feeling. He desperately wanted a wicket and stooped to a new low.
And so how, then, could you say he's a soft player for ****'s sake?

EDIT: And when did Waugh ever have to deal with this kind of situation?

Spikey

EDIT: And when did Waugh ever have to deal with this kind of situation?
that time glenn mcgrath and shane warne didn't take a wicket for over 20 overs was pretty ****ing tough man. weaker men would have crumbled.