View Poll Results: What should Ponting's punishment be?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

3 5.17%
  • Fine

9 15.52%
  • Suspension

5 8.62%
  • Fine & Suspension

40 68.97%
  • Awww look

1 1.72%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

ricky Douchbag Ponting won't be ban even if he stubs someone on the field.. at least that is how it seems like.. I mean take a look at his career.. he has been involved in so many alteractions with umpires.. the worst he has got is 40% of his match fees..
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    If hotspot misses it, then it should be defined as "not out".

Also, snicko can be used selectively. From what I understand, the controversy comes from the fact that a sound may have come from any source - bat on pad, ball on pad, etc. But if there is no sound at all, then nothing has touched anything, and it's safe to assume that there's no edge.

In this case, either way, it's as not out as it gets.
    Snicko is fairly irrelevant to this discussion though we only saw it well after the fact. I'm pretty sure he didn't hit it though.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Banned
    That was plain dreadful from Ricky Ponting, to be honest. I am amazed that he got off so lightly. Honestly, an example should have been made out of him to show that you can't get away with behaving like a petulant little kid and disrespecting an umpire. This is not exactly his first time either, he has a history of such offenses.
    Last edited by Blaze 18; 28-12-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Really amazed at how people don't "trust technology" in this case. If you put stuff in the fridge, it gets cold. If you put stuff in the microwave, it gets hot. There's no guesswork there. But snicko and hotspot say no edge, and people try to second guess the whole thing and think they know better.

Not unlike the creationism vs evolution debate. "Yeah, them dinosaurs was created by gawd in 5000 BC/are liberal propaganda".
    Disagree to an extent. The IR cameras used for hotspot are uncooled (ambient temp which changes depending on where the game is being played, time of day, etc.) thermal cameras, image quality and resolution take a back-seat to cost savings. This isn't a big deal in most cases because C9 aren't trying to take precision measurements, just identify any heat changes visually and most edges are thick. But there will be thin edges that either the cam won't pick up or the person viewing the screen won't see and a continuum in between.

Not really analogous to your microwave example at all; microwaves work on the principle of dielectric heating/dipole rotation of water molecules, simple, effective, demonstrable. The practical realities and limitations of using FLIR aren't so simple.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Never knew you were a creationist TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Bun
    Banned
    Ponting is causing more harm than good to Australia atm, so an English supporter won't be too unhappy with him playing in Sydney anyways.

School Boy/Girl Captain

In Memoriam

In my estimation, Ponting has played his last innings. Definitely his last test innings, possibly his last as an international as well (that he would want to prolong the trauma with the inevitable loss of the World Cup as well is beyond comprehension).

Small man, Great Batsman.

Third best bats amongst his contemporaries. Brilliant attacking bat, courageous in adversity, outstanding fielder. Middling captain, gloating winner, whining loser, classless sledger, petulant narcissist and master of the weasel words.

Won two World Cups, lost three Ashes. 12000 runs at 53 with 39 centuries.

"You have sat here too long for any good you are doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
    Last edited by MyLord; 28-12-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Disagree to an extent. The IR cameras used for hotspot are uncooled (ambient temp which changes depending on where the game is being played, time of day, etc.) thermal cameras, image quality and resolution take a back-seat to cost savings. This isn't a big deal in most cases because C9 aren't trying to take precision measurements, just identify any heat changes visually and most edges are thick. But there will be thin edges that either the cam won't pick up or the person viewing the screen won't see and a continuum in between.

Not really analogous to your microwave example at all; microwaves work on the principle of dielectric heating/dipole rotation of water molecules, simple, effective, demonstrable. The practical realities and limitations of using FLIR aren't so simple.
    Had a chuckle at your matter of fact "of course it is" explanation of how microwaves work.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar

and the fridge ?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Never knew you were a creationist TC.

Banned for sure, regardless of what he said.

I can not, for the life of me, fathom why the umpires let him carry on for as long as he did.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Tony Cozier on the inconsistencies of the ICC appointed match referees.

Nail on the head Tony! He is usually a very careful journalist and doesn't often speak out so it goes to show how strongly he must feel about the issue.

U19 Debutant

Tony Cozier on ponting recent incident with umpires.

Former England captain Nasser Hussain, presently in Australia as a television commentator and newspaper columnist, made the same point.
    “What I do know is that the ICC are very quick to take action against the small guys – like West Indies off-spinner Shane Shillingford who was suspended last week for an illegal bowling action – but do not often go for the big fish of the game.
    “They must not be afraid to make a judgment on the sport’s biggest names if they are guilty of misdemeanours.”
    Taking up Hussain’s thrust, when last were the degrees of flex measured on the actions of Muttiah Muralitharan or Harbhajan Singh, for instance?
    While it is impossible to come to the defence of Sulieman Benn, given his litany of disciplinary charges, why should the West Indies’ left-arm spinner receive two separate suspensions and others, equally at fault, like the Australians Mitchell Johnson, Brad Haddin and Ponting, be allowed to play on after paying derisory fines?
    And how does Kemar Roach’s fine of 50 per cent of his match fee for his mid-pitch altercation with Jacques Kallis in the Kensington Oval Test last June sit alongside Ponting’s imposition of ten per cent less for a transgression, by a captain, far more damaging to the game?
    COZIER ON CRICKET: Shame on Ponting -- NationNews Barbados -- Local, Regional and International News -- nationnews.com

Aleem Dar continues to prove why he is the best umpire in the world. Not only he made a great call, he also showed extreme calm and grace.

What a great chap and ambassador for the game and his country. Really one of the best I have seen.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information