View Poll Results: What should Ponting's punishment be?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

3 5.17%
  • Fine

9 15.52%
  • Suspension

5 8.62%
  • Fine & Suspension

40 68.97%
  • Awww look

1 1.72%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Should Ricky Ponting cop a ban?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    In the interview on C9 Ponting basically just said that he spoke to Dar for too long. Saying he didn't say anything wrong.

Would love to hear what Dar thought, but doubt that'll happen.
    He actually said Dar and the other umpire (Hill?) said the same thing at the hearing.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    He certainly got off very lightly. And this wasn't the first time in this series that he's sworn at Aleem Dar - the stump mic picked it up at, I think, Adelaide ("that's ****ing weak umpiring, Aleem, that's ****ing weak umpiring"), and his language was also pretty obvious for an amateur lip-reader at the MCG yesterday.

What makes the incident so weird is that dear old Ricky was so obviously wrong. The mark you saw on hotspot clearly had nothing to do with the ball, which had passed several inches higher up the bat. And this was exactly what Aleem Dar kept on pointing out to him. Yet he kept on and on with his outburst, and judging by his Ch 9 interview with Mark Taylor he still seems to reckon he was in the right.

Anyhow, what with KP being booed on reaching 50 (I don't care about him being booed to the crease), a poor day Down Under for Ricky's beloved Spirit of Cricket
    Pietersen is a **** though. Should be booed for breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He actually said Dar and the other umpire (Hill?) said the same thing at the hearing.
    Ah right I must have missed that bit. Fair enough.

Still think 40% is light. Just as much as what he said, the look is actually important. The whole point of the spirit of cricket is not only to ensure the umpires on the field are respected, but umpires at junior level, grade level etc. are respected.

You don't want finger pointing and aggressive looks at umpires at junior level from 16 year old brats, just because their hero did it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Ah right I must have missed that bit. Fair enough.

Still think 40% is light. Just as much as what he said, the look is actually important. The whole point of the spirit of cricket is not only to ensure the umpires on the field are respected, but umpires at junior level, grade level etc. are respected.

You don't want finger pointing and aggressive looks at umpires at junior level from 16 year old brats, just because their hero did it.
    Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you, it was a bad look for sure, and he said as much himself. Forty per cent was too light IMO.

Burge if you were an umpire when I was playing junior cricket I'd slap you with my cock if you didn't give the batsman out.

Ok. Now I'm kinda freaked out.

Simon Champion!
    He really got off very lightly here.

But kind of expected it.
    Last edited by Cevno; 27-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I loved the revisionism from C9 this morning. Mark Nicholas not even suggesting that the edge was in doubt - to him, it was a certainty and the technology was deficient in not showing it up. Utter codswallop. C9 should be ashamed.
    Revisionism of the facts? Or revisionism from your own previous reference frame of the story which may or may not have been fully informed.....

From my take of the interview with Ponting this morning. The players saw a replay on the big screen and could see a white spot where the bat clipped the edge of KP's pad, being 100m from the screen, their view was in no way as clear as a third umpire in front of a monitor. Not having seen 5 replays from the armchair, they believed that it was clear evidence of an edge and then questioned the point with umpire Dar.

From here, this is where Ponting and Siddle crossed the line and complained for too long and we all witnessed scenes of what appeared to them intimidating the field umpire both verbally and non-verbally. After the hearing the case for verbal abuse was played down by both field umpires and Ponting apologised. What remained was for him to face penalty for the behavioural breaches, which was dealt with and thankfully, away from the heat of the battle, he accepted fully the umpires decision realising he made an error. Probably scripted by PR managers but also based on the facts of the hearing.

This is what I got from the C9 interview this morning, live it was all speculation, or if they were privy to audio form the stump mikes, the incident was clouded by their own interpretation of what was going on in real time and amongst the general need to talk **** to entertain people.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Revisionism of the facts? Or revisionism from your own previous reference frame of the story which may or may not have been fully informed.....
    No, no. You've misunderstood me. Ponting's interview was fine, but Nicholas didn't leave any element of doubt in his introduction that Pietersen had edged it.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International 12th Man
    Off topic slightly, but as per this opinion piece...Cricket Web - Ashes HQ 2010-2011: Get on with the game please I recall Viv was in the slips, not bat pad. By the time he was finished his tirade, it's understandable someone thought he was at bat pad though

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    No, no. You've misunderstood me. Ponting's interview was fine, but Nicholas didn't leave any element of doubt in his introduction that Pietersen had edged it.
    This doesn't excuse Ponting's pathetic attack at technology, given he was citing a mark on Hotspot that came from the pad, but KP hit that - absolutely he hit that. The slo-mo view up close clearly shows a deviation. I don't know if the umpires saw that view, however.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    This doesn't excuse Ponting's pathetic attack at technology, given he was citing a mark on Hotspot that came from the pad, but KP hit that - absolutely he hit that. The slo-mo view up close clearly shows a deviation. I don't know if the umpires saw that view, however.
    No it didn't. The seam didn't change position at all.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    No it didn't. The seam didn't change position at all.
    Seems that's your opinion..mine, and that of others, is that at 1:20 in here - YouTube - Ashes 2010 - Ponting v Umpire (Possible Pietersen Wicket) - it clips the inside edge.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    At 1:20 Tubby Taylor says that he missed it. That's just the same coverage I watched yesterday and whilst the original view was that he must have hit it (as mine was, if you read the match thread) once seeing the replays and slo-mos, there's no evidence he hit it - no deviation, no snicko, no hotspot.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information