Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Endangered Rhino

  1. #1
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,225

    Endangered Rhino

    A rather interesting article on Australia's unsung hero from David Hopps in The Guardian.

    I didn't realise quite how shot his right knee was; apparently he really needs a cartilage transplant to prevent bone rubbing on bone, but at his age recognises the 12 to 18 month recovery period would be terminal for his career. Playing through the pain for the cause; more the sort of behaviour one expects from an Aussie quick rather than sporting coi carp tattoos or comedy hairpieces.

    Harris strikes one as a four-square, patently decent sort of chap. Painful he's doing it against us, but rather like Hussey, one of the least objectionable men to pull on the baggy green. Partiality aside, good to see a good chap get on.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  2. #2
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,335
    Not much to say except WAFG
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  3. #3
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,413
    Yeah. Big fan of Harris myself. Best, most likeable player on either side quite frankly.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,557
    Any talk in Pom about this side strain Anderson is supposed to have? Or is it pre-match bluff?

    And Harris.. Gun.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,160
    Love him. I've mentioned some of this on the forum already but it bears repeating. Got my first taste of Rhino when I played against him when he was playing for Northern Jets. I was about 20 at the time and we're around the same age so he was young but not that young for a grade cricketer still establishing himself. Was no quicker than med-fast even at grade level. I'm good mates with the Northerns captain and I hung out with the Jets guys after the game. Harris slipped under the radar a lot, tended to be a slow burner. Couldn't hold a bat at all when he first played for Northerns but by the time of this match, was considered almost an all-rounder. Was a slug in the field for a long time too. Personally, he's initially an intense cat but good to have a brew with when he relaxes a bit. I didn't notice any of him getting down on himself that Ponting mentioned, though.

    That speaks to a few things which typify the bloke and any potential champion, really; he's brutally honest about where his shortcomings are and what he needs to do to rectify them, is able to quickly integrate and make stick what he's learned and he's very ambitious. Obviously a bloke has raw talent if he's playing Tests but Harris isn't as gifted as others so he has to work hard. If you remember nothing else about the guy, remember that everything he has he's earned through massive amount of work.

    It's why I wasn't that surprised when I heard after a few years of bowling med-fast for SA (no kidding, Manou used to stand up to the stumps for him), he'd worked his arse off in the gym, put on 10Kg and 20Km/h+. Should have had more faith when I voiced concerns about him being picked in the OD side, citing that he doesn't move the ball around enough. Shouldn't have been a surprise that all of a sudden he bowls hooping out-swingers now.

    One thing I was surprised about was when SA turfed him citing injury concerns. They offered him 2 years and he wanted 3 so he left. Forget the fact his stock was clearly on the rise and how many injury-prone hacks SA has stuck with over the years because they sucked the right pen15, a bloke with his attitude is exactly what was needed in the SA dressing room. I know he was actually really keen to stay and lead the attack (possibly lead the side) after all the work he'd put in/repay the faith of the selectors so good on him for taking his business elsewhere but losing Harris was a massive loss for SA cricket, especially since at about that time Tait stopped playing FC matches and Gillespie retired. Word on the street was that he was considering even taking the two years but left mainly because he was upset about the generally bad treatment of other players by SACA at the time, could see the writing on the wall with Tait and Gillespie unavailable, etc.

    Bear in mind, he can bat too. Matter of time before he chips in with some handy 50's or even passes 100 at Test level. Just waiting for PEWS to claim him for his 'NSW are the best because....' lists because he was born near Goulburn.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  6. #6
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,852
    You just know he drives a beat up Datsun 250B, drinks VB, lives in fibro house, and has a pooch named Barney.
    Last edited by howardj; 21-12-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Love him. I've mentioned some of this on the forum already but it bears repeating. Got my first taste of Rhino when I played against him when he was playing for Northern Jets. I was about 20 at the time and we're around the same age so he was young but not that young for a grade cricketer still establishing himself. Was no quicker than med-fast even at grade level. I'm good mates with the Northerns captain and I hung out with the Jets guys after the game. Harris slipped under the radar a lot, tended to be a slow burner. Couldn't hold a bat at all when he first played for Northerns but by the time of this match, was considered almost an all-rounder. Was a slug in the field for a long time too. Personally, he's initially an intense cat but good to have a brew with when he relaxes a bit. I didn't notice any of him getting down on himself that Ponting mentioned, though.

    That speaks to a few things which typify the bloke and any potential champion, really; he's brutally honest about where his shortcomings are and what he needs to do to rectify them, is able to quickly integrate and make stick what he's learned and he's very ambitious. Obviously a bloke has raw talent if he's playing Tests but Harris isn't as gifted as others so he has to work hard. If you remember nothing else about the guy, remember that everything he has he's earned through massive amount of work.

    It's why I wasn't that surprised when I heard after a few years of bowling med-fast for SA (no kidding, Manou used to stand up to the stumps for him), he'd worked his arse off in the gym, put on 10Kg and 20Km/h+. Should have had more faith when I voiced concerns about him being picked in the OD side, citing that he doesn't move the ball around enough. Shouldn't have been a surprise that all of a sudden he bowls hooping out-swingers now.

    One thing I was surprised about was when SA turfed him citing injury concerns. They offered him 2 years and he wanted 3 so he left. Forget the fact his stock was clearly on the rise and how many injury-prone hacks SA has stuck with over the years because they sucked the right pen15, a bloke with his attitude is exactly what was needed in the SA dressing room. I know he was actually really keen to stay and lead the attack (possibly lead the side) after all the work he'd put in/repay the faith of the selectors so good on him for taking his business elsewhere but losing Harris was a massive loss for SA cricket, especially since at about that time Tait stopped playing FC matches and Gillespie retired. Word on the street was that he was considering even taking the two years but left mainly because he was upset about the generally bad treatment of other players by SACA at the time, could see the writing on the wall with Tait and Gillespie unavailable, etc.

    Bear in mind, he can bat too. Matter of time before he chips in with some handy 50's or even passes 100 at Test level. Just waiting for PEWS to claim him for his 'NSW are the best because....' lists because he was born near Goulburn.
    Haha I actually only noticed his birthplace the other day; was horrified at myself for leaving him out of all those 'Born in NSW but playing abroad' squads I kept posting.

    Do you know how long he was in NSW for? He never played junior rep cricket or grade cricket here did he? Hard to claim him if not tbh.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  8. #8
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,826
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    You just know he drives a beat up Datsun 250B, drinks VB, lives in fibro house, and has a pooch named Barney.
    He then crushes the VB cans on his forehead before recycling them obviously
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha I actually only noticed his birthplace the other day; was horrified at myself for leaving him out of all those 'Born in NSW but playing abroad' squads I kept posting.

    Do you know how long he was in NSW for? He never played junior rep cricket or grade cricket here did he? Hard to claim him if not tbh.
    nah **** it he's one of us.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha I actually only noticed his birthplace the other day; was horrified at myself for leaving him out of all those 'Born in NSW but playing abroad' squads I kept posting.

    Do you know how long he was in NSW for? He never played junior rep cricket or grade cricket here did he? Hard to claim him if not tbh.
    Is as South Australian as Jason Gillespie from memory, might have moved here mid-teens. Don't remember playing against him in juniors. Definitely played all his rep and A-grade cricket here.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.

  11. #11
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Is it a similar problem to Nadal's?

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,557
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Is it a similar problem to Nadal's?
    Harris has an itchy arse?

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Harris has an itchy arse?

    Genuinely laughed out loud.

  14. #14
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Harris has an itchy arse?


    Jono to respond by posting some ugly photos...

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT, Leanyer
    Posts
    4,174
    Always felt the best thing about his move to the bulls was freeing him up to focus on bowling without the constant pressure or SA collapses and this factor necessitating that he be turned into an all rounder when bowling was his true strength. Forget the willow and stick to being a gun bowler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •