• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Endangered Rhino

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A rather interesting article on Australia's unsung hero from David Hopps in The Guardian.

I didn't realise quite how shot his right knee was; apparently he really needs a cartilage transplant to prevent bone rubbing on bone, but at his age recognises the 12 to 18 month recovery period would be terminal for his career. Playing through the pain for the cause; more the sort of behaviour one expects from an Aussie quick rather than sporting coi carp tattoos or comedy hairpieces.

Harris strikes one as a four-square, patently decent sort of chap. Painful he's doing it against us, but rather like Hussey, one of the least objectionable men to pull on the baggy green. Partiality aside, good to see a good chap get on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any talk in Pom about this side strain Anderson is supposed to have? Or is it pre-match bluff?

And Harris.. Gun.

Top_Cat

Love him. I've mentioned some of this on the forum already but it bears repeating. Got my first taste of Rhino when I played against him when he was playing for Northern Jets. I was about 20 at the time and we're around the same age so he was young but not that young for a grade cricketer still establishing himself. Was no quicker than med-fast even at grade level. I'm good mates with the Northerns captain and I hung out with the Jets guys after the game. Harris slipped under the radar a lot, tended to be a slow burner. Couldn't hold a bat at all when he first played for Northerns but by the time of this match, was considered almost an all-rounder. Was a slug in the field for a long time too. Personally, he's initially an intense cat but good to have a brew with when he relaxes a bit. I didn't notice any of him getting down on himself that Ponting mentioned, though.

That speaks to a few things which typify the bloke and any potential champion, really; he's brutally honest about where his shortcomings are and what he needs to do to rectify them, is able to quickly integrate and make stick what he's learned and he's very ambitious. Obviously a bloke has raw talent if he's playing Tests but Harris isn't as gifted as others so he has to work hard. If you remember nothing else about the guy, remember that everything he has he's earned through massive amount of work.

It's why I wasn't that surprised when I heard after a few years of bowling med-fast for SA (no kidding, Manou used to stand up to the stumps for him), he'd worked his arse off in the gym, put on 10Kg and 20Km/h+. Should have had more faith when I voiced concerns about him being picked in the OD side, citing that he doesn't move the ball around enough. Shouldn't have been a surprise that all of a sudden he bowls hooping out-swingers now.

One thing I was surprised about was when SA turfed him citing injury concerns. They offered him 2 years and he wanted 3 so he left. Forget the fact his stock was clearly on the rise and how many injury-prone hacks SA has stuck with over the years because they sucked the right pen15, a bloke with his attitude is exactly what was needed in the SA dressing room. I know he was actually really keen to stay and lead the attack (possibly lead the side) after all the work he'd put in/repay the faith of the selectors so good on him for taking his business elsewhere but losing Harris was a massive loss for SA cricket, especially since at about that time Tait stopped playing FC matches and Gillespie retired. Word on the street was that he was considering even taking the two years but left mainly because he was upset about the generally bad treatment of other players by SACA at the time, could see the writing on the wall with Tait and Gillespie unavailable, etc.

Bear in mind, he can bat too. Matter of time before he chips in with some handy 50's or even passes 100 at Test level. Just waiting for PEWS to claim him for his 'NSW are the best because....' lists because he was born near Goulburn.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
You just know he drives a beat up Datsun 250B, drinks VB, lives in fibro house, and has a pooch named Barney.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Love him. I've mentioned some of this on the forum already but it bears repeating. Got my first taste of Rhino when I played against him when he was playing for Northern Jets. I was about 20 at the time and we're around the same age so he was young but not that young for a grade cricketer still establishing himself. Was no quicker than med-fast even at grade level. I'm good mates with the Northerns captain and I hung out with the Jets guys after the game. Harris slipped under the radar a lot, tended to be a slow burner. Couldn't hold a bat at all when he first played for Northerns but by the time of this match, was considered almost an all-rounder. Was a slug in the field for a long time too. Personally, he's initially an intense cat but good to have a brew with when he relaxes a bit. I didn't notice any of him getting down on himself that Ponting mentioned, though.

That speaks to a few things which typify the bloke and any potential champion, really; he's brutally honest about where his shortcomings are and what he needs to do to rectify them, is able to quickly integrate and make stick what he's learned and he's very ambitious. Obviously a bloke has raw talent if he's playing Tests but Harris isn't as gifted as others so he has to work hard. If you remember nothing else about the guy, remember that everything he has he's earned through massive amount of work.

It's why I wasn't that surprised when I heard after a few years of bowling med-fast for SA (no kidding, Manou used to stand up to the stumps for him), he'd worked his arse off in the gym, put on 10Kg and 20Km/h+. Should have had more faith when I voiced concerns about him being picked in the OD side, citing that he doesn't move the ball around enough. Shouldn't have been a surprise that all of a sudden he bowls hooping out-swingers now.

One thing I was surprised about was when SA turfed him citing injury concerns. They offered him 2 years and he wanted 3 so he left. Forget the fact his stock was clearly on the rise and how many injury-prone hacks SA has stuck with over the years because they sucked the right pen15, a bloke with his attitude is exactly what was needed in the SA dressing room. I know he was actually really keen to stay and lead the attack (possibly lead the side) after all the work he'd put in/repay the faith of the selectors so good on him for taking his business elsewhere but losing Harris was a massive loss for SA cricket, especially since at about that time Tait stopped playing FC matches and Gillespie retired. Word on the street was that he was considering even taking the two years but left mainly because he was upset about the generally bad treatment of other players by SACA at the time, could see the writing on the wall with Tait and Gillespie unavailable, etc.

Bear in mind, he can bat too. Matter of time before he chips in with some handy 50's or even passes 100 at Test level. Just waiting for PEWS to claim him for his 'NSW are the best because....' lists because he was born near Goulburn.
Haha I actually only noticed his birthplace the other day; was horrified at myself for leaving him out of all those 'Born in NSW but playing abroad' squads I kept posting.

Do you know how long he was in NSW for? He never played junior rep cricket or grade cricket here did he? Hard to claim him if not tbh.

Spikey

Haha I actually only noticed his birthplace the other day; was horrified at myself for leaving him out of all those 'Born in NSW but playing abroad' squads I kept posting.

Do you know how long he was in NSW for? He never played junior rep cricket or grade cricket here did he? Hard to claim him if not tbh.
nah **** it he's one of us.

Top_Cat

Is as South Australian as Jason Gillespie from memory, might have moved here mid-teens. Don't remember playing against him in juniors. Definitely played all his rep and A-grade cricket here.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Always felt the best thing about his move to the bulls was freeing him up to focus on bowling without the constant pressure or SA collapses and this factor necessitating that he be turned into an all rounder when bowling was his true strength. Forget the willow and stick to being a gun bowler.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Good chap, good quick bowler, let himself down a bit in his brief sojourn with Sussex (signed as a local on the basis that he wouldn't play as a domestic player in Oz then signed for Qld after one match) but the sort that you want in your team.

Burgey

Ben Dorries is doing a live chat on that link now, if anyone wants to go on there and tell him what a chump he is.

Dorries I mean, not Rhino.

Riggins

International Captain
Ben Dorries is doing a live chat on that link now, if anyone wants to go on there and tell him what a chump he is.

Dorries I mean, not Rhino.
Don't know how some of these journos get jobs, dorries clearly has no idea about sport in general, let alone cricket.

howardj

International Coach
I asked, in the blog, if he'd been replaced by Craddock on the road (which he has).

He let that aspect of my question go through to the keeper. lol