Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do England batsmen struggle on fast bouncy tracks?

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I listened to that podcast that you linked to on Facebook, and Boycott was all over it. Whether or not it was to appease him, Broad talked of how they "hoped" it would be a slower wicket which would suit them more in Melbourne.

Think it may be something that plays on their mind a bit more, now.

vcs
    I was thinking about this a few days back. I think, on the contrary, England are one of the better sides in the world at handling such conditions. I find it hard to believe that Durban wasn't bouncy as usual, though I didn't watch that game. Making 500+ on that track must have been pretty tough against Steyn and co. Even the matches they saved in that series, they got respectable middle of the road scores which not many teams manage in SA.

Look at all their batsmen, strong on the cut and pull... Cook, Strauss, Bell. Collingwood also scored pretty well IIRC. Not too sure about Pietersen and Trott but it's not a weak point either for them. Looking at how their batsmen have averaged in their last tours to SA and Aus, I'd actually say the opposite. In England, they seem to do worse.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Incidentally KP averages 19 in these four tests with big failures in the last three where he averages under 5.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Incidentally KP averages 19 in these four tests with big failures in the last three where he averages under 5.
    Batsman does badly when team gets thrashed shocker.

Yeah, and when horrendously out of form to boot

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Team gets thrashed when batsmen do badly shocker.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Actually there are plenty of bastsmen who score runs when their teams are doing poorly. Tendulkar, Lara and Border come to mind for large parts of their career. Not to mention George Headley. As for form, you have to wonder what part it played compared to an inability to handle these pitches. Certainly in the recent test in Perth you can't say he was out of form when he had just scored a double hundred. Not saying KP is some kind of flat-track bully but certainly his performances on these bouncy tracks are worth noting. Will be interesting to see how well he fares on the next such track he plays on.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Yeah, was thinking the same thing. 200 isn't bad for someone who is 'horrendously out of form', even if it was on a flat deck. Wasn't much he could do about Johnson's delivery in the 1st innings though. His shot in the second wasn't a good one.

Think Perth showed how important it is to bowl good lines though. As it is in every match. Australia picked up a lot from their first two bowling efforts.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

You could argue that guys like Strauss, Cook and Collingwood, who only ever get half forward and don't get out of their crease to defend on the front foot, get found out a bit more on the front foot - especially in defence - on pitches with that sort of carry.

Not entirely sure that it's the case, but it's a possible reason?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah, was thinking the same thing. 200 isn't bad for someone who is 'horrendously out of form', even if it was on a flat deck. Wasn't much he could do about Johnson's delivery in the 1st innings though. His shot in the second wasn't a good one.

Think Perth showed how important it is to bowl good lines though. As it is in every match. Australia picked up a lot from their first two bowling efforts.
    Think the out of form reference was more to the South Africa games.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Sly attempt to do a "well England kinda sorta sometimes have problems on bouncy wickets too!!1!1!!!!!1!!1!" after India's humiliation. The fanboys lash out.

Anyway, I think every team struggles on fast bouncy wickets, except SA, who grew up on it, sorta like how Obelix fell into the magic potion when he was a kid.

Hahahahahahah.

I made the post because Boycott and Botham said the same thing. Nice try though.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Sly attempt to do a "well England kinda sorta sometimes have problems on bouncy wickets too!!1!1!!!!!1!!1!" after India's humiliation. The fanboys lash out.

Anyway, I think every team struggles on fast bouncy wickets, except SA, who grew up on it, sorta like how Obelix fell into the magic potion when he was a kid.
    Well, now that you bring it up....

2nd Test: South Africa v Australia at Durban, Mar 6-10, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Think the out of form reference was more to the South Africa games.
    Ah yes, you're right it does. I should've read another post or two higher and it would've become clearer. I was wondering about the averages mentioned actually, should've clicked then!

My apologies Marcuss!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information