• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do England batsmen struggle on fast bouncy tracks?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could argue that guys like Strauss, Cook and Collingwood, who only ever get half forward and don't get out of their crease to defend on the front foot, get found out a bit more on the front foot - especially in defence - on pitches with that sort of carry.

Not entirely sure that it's the case, but it's a possible reason?
Hmm. Strauss, Cook and Collingwood all have very obvious (and similar) weaknesses though. I know Jono's list wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list of England's batting collapses, but he hasn't included any of the matches played against Pakistan last summer when those three barely made a run between them, nor has he included the first innings at Brisbane.

If he had, the common factor wouldn't be particularly bouncy pitches, it would be accurate bowling. The pitch on the first innings at Lord's in the last Ashes was at least as quick as the one at Cape Town '09, but England didn't struggle in the slightest. Because Australia bowled filth.

I'd say that on any pitch that you wouldn't go out of your way to describe as "slow", if you get the ball full in the corridor to these guys often enough, you'll get them out. If you don't, they'll score runs. It's that simple, IMO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm. Strauss, Cook and Collingwood all have very obvious (and similar) weaknesses though. I know Jono's list wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list of England's batting collapses, but he hasn't included any of the matches played against Pakistan last summer when those three barely made a run between them, nor has he included the first innings at Brisbane.

If he had, the common factor wouldn't be particularly bouncy pitches, it would be accurate bowling. The pitch on the first innings at Lord's in the last Ashes was at least as quick as the one at Cape Town '09, but England didn't struggle in the slightest. Because Australia bowled filth.

I'd say that on any pitch that you wouldn't go out of your way to describe as "slow", if you get the ball full in the corridor to these guys often enough, you'll get them out. If you don't, they'll score runs. It's that simple, IMO.
Nothing in that is specific to England, it is common to all batting lineups in the world.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, strongly agree with this.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the first innings Strauss & Cook did not look uncomfortable at all. Cook played a lose shot and opened up new batsmen to an 'all-of-a-sudden' world beating Johnson spell. Obviously they lost a bit of confidence from that and Australia got on a roll off the back of it.

Both teams bowled really well in that match, and England bowled Australia out for winnable totals, and it was only the first innings collapse from 0/70 odd to all out for 260 odd that lost them the game.

I think the Perth result was less about England not playing bounce well, and more about Australia suddenly getting on top. Although, after Australia got on top the lack of confidence on the bouncier decks could have played a factor.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In the first innings Strauss & Cook did not look uncomfortable at all. Cook played a lose shot and opened up new batsmen to an 'all-of-a-sudden' world beating Johnson spell. Obviously they lost a bit of confidence from that and Australia got on a roll off the back of it.

Both teams bowled really well in that match, and England bowled Australia out for winnable totals, and it was only the first innings collapse from 0/70 odd to all out for 260 odd that lost them the game.

I think the Perth result was less about England not playing bounce well, and more about Australia suddenly getting on top. Although, after Australia got on top the lack of confidence on the bouncier decks could have played a factor.
180 odd actually IIRC :laugh:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Durban is the second quickest track in the Republic and is notorious for its bounce. In contrast, Cape Town is the slowest and Centurion hasn’t been quick in years. England do struggle on quick surfaces but the aforementioned are not the best examples.