• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Woodster

International Captain
<click>

Hello Eoin...Yes, it's your agent... Listen, you need to pick your priorities for the early season. Either you can go to India, all expenses paid, get a fat wad of cash and spend six weeks sitting on the bench watching some T20, or you can stay in the 2nd division, play all day for 25 days or so and potentially embarass yourself and lose your England place. So, er... Eoin...? Hello...?

<click>
:laugh:

When you put it like that, the early season spicy pitches in -10 degree temperatures sounds pretty appealing doesn't it ??

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hildreth is a much more complete batsman now with the requisite experience to deal with the things he'll face in Test cricket. If we were low on options or Taylor really was an unbelievable talent he simply could not be ignored, then maybe give him a go in the Test side, but as Grecian says, we don't need to rush him to hinder his development by having him compete at a standard he probably would not be ready for just yet.

Of course we don't know how Taylor would do if he was thrown in, but if he is going to be a top player, it's a risk that is not worth taking just yet for me.

Hildreth was also eulogised about in a similar way to Taylor and had they thrown him in a few years ago, it's likely he'd have failed. They will get a much better Hildreth if he gets selected in the future. Sometimes patience is key with young batsmen.
And sometimes it isn't. Neither Hildreth or Taylor have played any Test cricket and their County records aren't too dissimilar. There's nothing clear cut to suggest that Hildreth will fare better other than the idea that he's played a few more games. There's nothing to lose from picking Taylor IMO.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and he's got a load of time on his side to go back to County cricket and earn his way back into the side. I just feel he's got more potential than Hildreth and giving him a chance won't hurt.

Yeah, sometimes patience can work and other times it means you miss out on 3 or 4 years of a quality batsman.

Jarquis

<click>

Hello Eoin...Yes, it's your agent... Listen, you need to pick your priorities for the early season. Either you can go to India, all expenses paid, get a fat wad of cash and spend six weeks sitting on the bench watching some T20, or you can stay in the 2nd division, play all day for 25 days or so and potentially embarass yourself and lose your England place. So, er... Eoin...? Hello...?

<click>
I didn't say I'd be ropeable with Morgan. I'd do the same thing.
I don't think I could honestly expect to be picked in the Test side if Hildreth went and blitzed 600 runs in the early part of the season though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
<click>

<click>
If he's got any ambitions of cementing a Test place, he'd do the hard yards in County Cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
Because a slot in the batting line up should open up with Collingwood's woeful form, and with your top 5 in good form a home series in Sri Lanka should be an ideal time to blood a young player who you might ear-mark for England honours in the future, whether that's Taylor, Hildreth, Morgan or AN Other.

There's a dearth of English batsmen with any sort of Test experience outwith the current incumbents in the top 6. If you look at Steve Finn, you would imagine that once Broad returns, injury permitting our seam attack will be Anderson-Tremlett-Broad. Finn can go away with the Lions to the West Indies and go back to county cricket and work on the issues that have arisen on this tour, and become a better player for it - but not only would he potentially come back a better player, he'd come into the side as a player with a bit of Test experience and also close to 50 wickets already under his belt.
Love the theory behind that and wish it would be true. Unfortunately such is the County schedule he would have little time on the practice pitches to iron out such flaws, and be driven into the ground playing 25 consecutive days. How Angus Fraser manages Finn would be crucial in the ideal scenario developing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he's got any ambitions of cementing a Test place, he'd do the hard yards in County Cricket.
When exactly can he do that though?

At the moment he's surely the next man in line in the batting order (if he wasn't then why is he on this tour?), and until he is proven a failure I can't see any way that will change with our current selectors methods.

grecian

Because a slot in the batting line up should open up with Collingwood's woeful form, and with your top 5 in good form a home series in Sri Lanka should be an ideal time to blood a young player who you might ear-mark for England honours in the future, whether that's Taylor, Hildreth, Morgan or AN Other.

There's a dearth of English batsmen with any sort of Test experience outwith the current incumbents in the top 6. If you look at Steve Finn, you would imagine that once Broad returns, injury permitting our seam attack will be Anderson-Tremlett-Broad. Finn can go away with the Lions to the West Indies and go back to county cricket and work on the issues that have arisen on this tour, and become a better player for it - but not only would he potentially come back a better player, he'd come into the side as a player with a bit of Test experience and also close to 50 wickets already under his belt.
Not arguing that Colly has got to go, he does. Just believe Hildreth is the better card at this point. This blooding on potential didn't really work for Bopara or countless others, you pick the guy you think is ready for the job. The selectors may well feel that's Taylor, fair enough if so.

Really think comparing fast bowlers to batsmen is slightly meaningless. The England selectors clearly want to molly-coddle their bowlers, whilst with batsmen they want them playing matches and scoring runs. Also there's always likely to be injuries amongst the pack, so I very much doubt Finn will be playing that much other cricket to improve, most will be done in the nets with the England set-up.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Love the theory behind that and wish it would be true. Unfortunately such is the County schedule he would have little time on the practice pitches to iron out such flaws, and be driven into the ground playing 25 consecutive days. How Angus Fraser manages Finn would be crucial in the ideal scenario developing.
The players are centrally contracted though, you'd hope the ECB and the counties would work together for the player's benefit.

grecian

And there's not really an entirely convincing argument for Hildreth being ahead tbph.
No there isn't, you suggested daylight however. Which is where I came in really.

I suppose this is keeping me going through lunch, not terribly productive though.

Woodster

International Captain
And sometimes it isn't. Neither Hildreth or Taylor have played any Test cricket and their County records aren't too dissimilar. There's nothing clear cut to suggest that Hildreth will fare better other than the idea that he's played a few more games. There's nothing to lose from picking Taylor IMO.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and he's got a load of time on his side to go back to County cricket and earn his way back into the side. I just feel he's got more potential than Hildreth and giving him a chance won't hurt.

Yeah, sometimes patience can work and other times it means you miss out on 3 or 4 years of a quality batsman.
Imo it's unlikely at the age of 20 and after only two years in County cricket, you are ready to play Test cricket. At times it can help for a young player to see the standards he needs to meet to be successful at the top, on the other hand there is generally little to be gained by throwing in a kid before he's ready, especially when it isn't necessary.

To suggest their County records are not dissimilar, I think would be a near 5,000 run difference oversight, but I presume you're just looking at their averages.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
We're there. I might give it the first couple of overs as it's only 2am

urgh **** why does Melbourne have to be in such a ****ing hideous timezone

Woodster

International Captain
The players are centrally contracted though, you'd hope the ECB and the counties would work together for the player's benefit.
You're right they should be able to formulate some schedule for him to work to. But structured practice may still prove a problematic area.