• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor has impressed with the Lions, but by and large has scored runs against bowling attacks in the CC Division Two, which doesn't equate to what Hildreth has achieved in Division One in the last couple of seasons.

I like Taylor, but don't think he should be heading up the queue right now.
Hey, it's far far far more than anything Morgan's managed in the FC game. The same Division 2 runs where he averaged 22(?) last season?
Also the small matter than until 2009 really, Hildreth never scored away from Taunton.

All have their limitations but Taylor's likely to have the best career of them.

HeathDavisSpeed

Poor that Trott gave Anderson the strike there. Yes, Anderson can bat, but don't give him a full over until he's faced a few balls. Protecting his not out there, one feels.

Woodster

International Captain
Taylor doesn't get to bat at Taunton, though. Look at Hildreth's respective averages home and away. Averages something like 39 away from Taunton. Obviously, some of his earlier seasons drag this down, but there's always something the detractor can seize on.
Yes that accusation has been thrown at him before, but look at his average away from Taunton last season, and that should go some way to dispelling that particular myth. Or not so much dispelling the myth, but showing that he can and has scored runs all round the country on a variety of pitches. Think he averaged in excess of 50 away from his home ground in 2010.

Jacknife

International Captain
Brilliant from Trotty, top class knock. I bet the England bowlers will be fancying this older ball, it was reversing nicely. Hopefully wickets up front with the new ball , finish them off with the older and a bit of spin in for good measure.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fair play Siddle, well bowled. Looking forward to watching England bowl 2nd go.

Quicks need to remember not to go nuts here, the Aussie top order are not tailenders. Keep it tight, attack the stumps, and they won't bat a full two days. Job done.

Could there be much in the pitch for Swanny or is it too early for that? New ball to play with first ofc.

Son Of Coco

You make it sound like you miss them.
And, yep, page 121 featured no Australian posts. Knew we'd get there eventually.

:ph34r:
Some of us are still here.

This morning I thought I'd do a little psychological experiment. Observe what English fans could come up with when left alone in a virtual room by themselves for an hour or so discussing the cricket.

I based it closely on this experiment:

ScienceDirect - Behaviour Research and Therapy : Measuring the activity of severely and profoundly mentally-handicapped adults in ordinary housing

The results were alarmingly similar, except it was much more ****ing boring in here. :happy:

Woodster

International Captain
Hey, it's far far far more than anything Morgan's managed in the FC game. The same Division 2 runs where he averaged 22(?) last season?
Also the small matter than until 2009 really, Hildreth never scored away from Taunton.

All have their limitations but Taylor's likely to have the best career of them.
Taylor will also inevitably suffer a slump at some point in his CC career, one that he may have to go through before he reaches Test cricket.

Morgan was not selected for England on the strength of an outstanding domestic first-class career though. They clearly saw something in him and expect him to step up his game when he plays Test cricket, but I'm sure they won't follow that process for all selections.

Hildreth is now a more complete performer than he was when he used to cash in at Taunton solely.

Taylor may have the best career, we won't know that for some time yet though, that doesn't mean to say they just throw him in. How he's handled and when he's picked will contribute to how successful he can be.

grecian

Not displeased really, good news it's reversing.

Oh and Marcuss, Burgey is right about you.

Hildreth made big changes to his technique last year. I don't really get the "talent", bit of Taylor, horrible to watch, and looks fairly limited. He's plenty young enough, why do we need to rush him into the team?

Jarquis

Taylor will also inevitably suffer a slump at some point in his CC career, one that he may have to go through before he reaches Test cricket.

Morgan was not selected for England on the strength of an outstanding domestic first-class career though. They clearly saw something in him and expect him to step up his game when he plays Test cricket, but I'm sure they won't follow that process for all selections.

Hildreth is now a more complete performer than he was when he used to cash in at Taunton solely.

Taylor may have the best career, we won't know that for some time yet though, that doesn't mean to say they just throw him in. How he's handled and when he's picked will contribute to how successful he can be.
Not displeased really, good news it's reversing.

Oh and Marcuss, Burgey is right about you.

Hildreth made big changes to his technique last year. I don't really get the "talent", bit of Taylor, horrible to watch, and looks fairly limited. He's plenty young enough, why do we need to rush him into the team?
Look, I'm a big Hildreth fan.
But people criticise Taylor for only scoring runs in 2 seasons and for scoring in Division 2.
Well Hildreth has only scored away from home in 1 season and Morgan can't buy a run in Division 2.
I get why Morgan was picked (though I disagree with the reasoning) and I get why people might prefer Hildreth.
I'm not saying play Taylor and don't drop him for 10 years, I'm saying give the guy a chance.
If Hildreth starts the season in crash hot form and Taylor doesn't then the pendulum should swing that way.

However, if Morgan doesn't play and FC cricket in the early season and is then picked for the SL series I'll be ropeable,

grecian

But people criticise Taylor for only scoring runs in 2 seasons and for scoring in Division 2.
Well Hildreth has only scored away from home in 1 season and Morgan can't buy a run in Division 2.
I get why Morgan was picked (though I disagree with the reasoning) and I get why people might prefer Hildreth.
I'm not saying play Taylor and don't drop him for 10 years, I'm saying give the guy a chance.
If Hildreth starts the season in crash hot form and Taylor doesn't then the pendulum should swing that way.

However, if Morgan doesn't play and FC cricket in the early season and is then picked for the SL series I'll be ropeable,
Well you can equally say give Hildreth a chance, not sure why Taylor is as ahead in the pecking order as you say. I think a lot of us are agreed that Morgan shouldn't be anywhere near though.

Woodster

International Captain

Hildreth is a much more complete batsman now with the requisite experience to deal with the things he'll face in Test cricket. If we were low on options or Taylor really was an unbelievable talent he simply could not be ignored, then maybe give him a go in the Test side, but as Grecian says, we don't need to rush him to hinder his development by having him compete at a standard he probably would not be ready for just yet.

Of course we don't know how Taylor would do if he was thrown in, but if he is going to be a top player, it's a risk that is not worth taking just yet for me.

Hildreth was also eulogised about in a similar way to Taylor and had they thrown him in a few years ago, it's likely he'd have failed. They will get a much better Hildreth if he gets selected in the future. Sometimes patience is key with young batsmen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
<click>

Hello Eoin...Yes, it's your agent... Listen, you need to pick your priorities for the early season. Either you can go to India, all expenses paid, get a fat wad of cash and spend six weeks sitting on the bench watching some T20, or you can stay in the 2nd division, play all day for 25 days or so and potentially embarass yourself and lose your England place. So, er... Eoin...? Hello...?

<click>

Jarquis

Well you can equally say give Hildreth a chance, not sure why Taylor is as ahead in the pecking order as you say. I think a lot of us are agreed that Morgan shouldn't be anywhere near though.

tbh :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because a slot in the batting line up should open up with Collingwood's woeful form, and with your top 5 in good form a home series in Sri Lanka should be an ideal time to blood a young player who you might ear-mark for England honours in the future, whether that's Taylor, Hildreth, Morgan or AN Other.

There's a dearth of English batsmen with any sort of Test experience outwith the current incumbents in the top 6. If you look at Steve Finn, you would imagine that once Broad returns, injury permitting our seam attack will be Anderson-Tremlett-Broad. Finn can go away with the Lions to the West Indies and go back to county cricket and work on the issues that have arisen on this tour, and become a better player for it - but not only would he potentially come back a better player, he'd come into the side as a player with a bit of Test experience and also close to 50 wickets already under his belt.