• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like it could all be on the result in Melbourne
That sucks :-O
So it's effectively a do or die match at MCG.
btw hasn't melbourne been going through some rough weather as well??? Pretty sure something regarding that was on the news some time back.

Last edited:

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I too would get rid of Finn. I don't rate him, Broad to be his replacement in a perfect world but I'd look at Shahzad. MCG decks these days traditionally have a bit of variable bounce and seam early; Tremlett is our best bet to expose this if the wicket is true to form and if it dries out late Shahzad should present more of a problem with reverse than the loose, back of a length fare from Finn.

Collingwood's form is interesting, the guy is still a clear asset in the field for us but he really does look beyond torrid with the blade. If we replace him it's going to be for Morgan, a player who quite frankly I don't think is a test cricketer. You want to talk about batsmen struggling on fast decks, he is probably the worst we've got against pace in general, even on a slowish wicket. I'd stick with Colly for the time being.

Mitchell Johnson's best ever career spell of 8/61 (which came in Perth) is up on Youtube. There was no swing for him. So Nasser Hussain's assertion that he excels in Perth because of the breeze providing him swing is wrong. His swing has more to do with his action and rhythm it would seem. But he has other weapons when it isn't doing anything through the air. If he's in form, he'll be a threat whether it moves or not.

TumTum

Banned
All I can think of is Headingley and The Oval 09. I certainly hope history repeats itself.
It won't. Difference being you are in Australia now and we have just trashed you after you fellas batted and bowled so well before hand. We have the momentum now and I doubt you'll be able to change it in-front of a packed MCG crowd.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It won't. Difference being you are in Australia now and we have just trashed you after you fellas batted and bowled so well before hand. We have the momentum now and I doubt you'll be able to change it in-front of a packed MCG crowd.
Yeah, and we had just been thrashed at home before having played well beforehand, in my example. Hence the comparison.

3-1 England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, I am aware the home advantage has changed. But my other points about comparing to 09 are pretty valid.

i.e

ENGLAND PLAYED WELL

then

ENGLAND PLAYED AWFULLY

Also, invert for Australia.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, very true.

God knows what will happen in Melbourne. I don't like this ability we have to trade good with awful during test matches, and from one test to the next. Consistency is a wonderful thing, if we can manage it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't really make for the best cricket either. I hope they both manage to turn up at the same match at some stage.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't really make for the best cricket either. I hope they both manage to turn up at the same match at some stage.
So true. A lot of Tests in recent times have been like this for some reason. I think India-Australia and SA-England usually provide consistently the best matchups and the most even contests.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it'd be nice. Preferably in a test that goes right down to the wire. I doubt we could have both teams firing with both the bat and the ball and end up with scores of 350+ in the first innings leading us into an exciting match. An up and down contest would be nice though, rather than one team not turning up much at all.