International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Finn's not gonna be dropped.
    What brings you to that conclusion ?
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by G Rot View Post
    Didnt we lose last years ashes series because the selectors were too stubborn to select the best spinner in the country?
    I had tried to put that out of my memory, but yes, you're right.

Selectors are stupid some times.

vcs
    I may have to revise my recent criticism of Finn. If he was carrying an injury of some sort, then probably I was too harsh.

International Regular
    Finn looks like a bowler that gets easily flustered. Due to inexperience I suppose.

Interesting because recently we have been selecting aged bowlers, which is not a bad thing because most have performed from the start. But it becomes a problem because they don't last long, we really need to put faith in a youngster that would become part of the attack for at-least a decade.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Bresnan for Finn would be a shocking move. If Finn's to be rested/dropped, then Shazad is the only option.
    GIMH likes this.
    ​63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Why would you drop your leading wicket taker? He may be expensive, but he's your leading wicket taker!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Why would you drop your leading wicket taker? He may be expensive, but he's your leading wicket taker!!
    It would seem a harsh move, but imo he hasn't bowled that well. In between the wickets he has struggled with his length and generally looked pretty average, throw in the fact he may be struggling with a niggle, and it does become a possibility. He's 21 and may be struggling with the workload.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Bresnan for Finn is a lulzworthy move, really. He's little better than a walking wicket but bowls utter tripe and I'm being generous here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Going to defend Bresnan here, he would certainly give us more control than what Finn offers, he consistently bowls decent areas. Now don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he's a world beater, but think he can nip out a few key wickets, bowl with discipline and work to plans, give Strauss more control and also add some depth to the batting. Think his experience gives him the edge over Shahzad in such a big game at Melbourne.

Finn's actually bowled better than I expected. He's been a key partnership breaker and rolled Australia's tail cheaply regularly. It's one thing to say he's got a lot of tailend wickets, but it's not like he's been letting them all score 30 odd before getting them (first innings in Perth excepted), so he's been doing a job. His wicket tally flatters him, but I think dropping him would an unnecessary gamble now, especially now that it's Bresnan and not Tremlett who'd be replacing him.

I think it's fair to say his wicket tally has benefited from the pressure built by England's other bowlers, but at the same time I don't think his economy rate really is a true indication of the accuracy he's bowled with either for the same reason. Australia have gone after him and he's leaked runs at times but he's been good enough to still be a threat despite that. I don't think we can say Brensan would definitely offer that if he was attacked in these conditions, and I'm a bigger fan of Bresnan than most.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 20-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Finn's actually bowled better than I expected. He's been a key partnership breaker and rolled Australia's tail cheaply regularly. It's one thing to say he's got a lot of tailend wickets, but it's not like he's been letting them all score 30 odd before getting them, so he's been doing a job. His wicket tally flatters him, but I think dropping him would an unnecessary gamble now, especially now that it's Bresnan and not Tremlett who'd be replacing him.

I think it's fair to say his wicket tally has benefited from the pressure built by England's other bowlers, but at the same time I don't think his economy rate really is a true indication of the accuracy he's bowled with either. Australia have gone after him and he's leaked runs at times but he's been good enough to still be a threat despite that. I don't think we can say Brensan would definitely offer that, and I'm a bigger fan of Bresnan than most.
    The inclusion of Bresnan will allow us to use Tremlett as a more attacking bowler, he's had to bowl quite a few overs for Finn in this Test because of his economy. Bresnan as we know has the stamina to bowl long spells and economically, he may not look a particularly threatening bowler, but his control is key.

Tbh I think Finn's economy rate is a true indication of his accuracy, so many half volleys and half trackers, and most of them are getting punished, as is the case with top batsmen.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Good to see Aussies walking into this one with a higher level of confidence in there bowling department with Harris and Johnson in good form. I think Doug would be ideal as 3rd to replace Hilfi. Siddle should stay.....I guess the pitch is not going to be anywhere close to being the same but is there any hope of some movement in it?
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

According to today's papers they are changing the type of drop-in pitch originally requested as they thought it may be too dry, thus bringing Swann into the equation in a big way. It seems after Perth they are now after a quicker and bouncier pitch, understandably so, but cannot imagine it'll be a replica of what we've just seen at the WACA.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    According to today's papers they are changing the type of drop-in pitch originally requested as they thought it may be too dry, thus bringing Swann into the equation in a big way. It seems after Perth they are now after a quicker and bouncier pitch, understandably so, but cannot imagine it'll be a replica of what we've just seen at the WACA.
    Pitch has been in since October.

"Bollocks!" cries the nation that turned the fastest pitch in England to Chemnai day four in 2009.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 8 of 172 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread Information