Page 72 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2574

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Having watched today's cricket in almost its entirety (I missed an over or two right at the close of play) I have a few points that I would like to make:

1) I have not experienced such a disappointing day of test match cricket ever before. It was certainly not dull or uninteresting or even painful to watch, but it was very disappointing.
    2) The most positive thing I can say about today's performance was that Siddle bowled a few tight overs towards the end of the day's play.
    3) England bowled really, really well and capitalised on the conditions with tight, disciplined fast bowling that really was a joy to watch.
    4) It was good seeing Australian wickets fall to good balls rather than loose shots. With the exception of Hughes every single batsman got out to a very good ball after having faced a number of very good balls beforehand. Each wicket was the result of very good bowling, not bad batting.
    5) Australia's bowling was woeful at best. I would have thought that the bowlers would have been inspired to bowl tight lines outside and at off stump. Instead they bowled utter dross. What could have been a tricky period for England with the bat became a period of free runs. It was like the Australian bowlers forgot the basics - line and length.
    6) No matter the situation, seeing your opponents openers batting late in the second session on the first day means that you are having a very, very bad day.
    7) The sun seemed to come out the moment that England came out to bat, which really leads me to believe that Australia are failing at the one percenters and are really missing having Buchanan as coach.

I would like to clarify point six a little more. If Hughes had not played that loose shot and gotten caught in the gully, but instead had have made a few more runs it would have meant that it was longer until Hussey was in. It probably would have meant that Ponting would have felt less pressure and may have survived longer also. By extending the time that they were at the crease, Hughes may have kept Clarke and Hussey in the shed for longer. The longer that Hussey and Clarke did not have to bat, the better the pitch became from batting. Hussey may have survived until past the rain break. All of a sudden, the Australian batting order is able to survive with a few wickets in tact until the sun came out. When the sun comes out the batting gets a little easier and we may have been able to form a reasonable partnership between a couple of middle order batsman. All of these events snowball and Australia is dismissed half way through the final session of the first day for 245. The bowlers have something to bowl at and know that they only have 20 overs to bowl in the afternoon so they let rip. The Australian bowlers subsequently feel less pressure to take a wicket with every ball and instead build pressure with tighter bowling. Because he spent longer in the field and the Australian bowlers feel less restricted in what they can do we get Cook just before the close of play. All of a sudden the scorecard goes from 98ao + 0/137 to 245 ao + 1/35 at the end of the day. Just because the opening batsmen survived an extra twenty minutes of play.

It is almost like Australia's top order have gotten themselves so concerned with "setting the tone" or "sending a message" that they have forgotten the fundamentals of cricket - you cannot set the tone or send a message to the opposition if you are not at the crease. A maiden over is much better than losing a wicket and scoring four runs in an over.

Just some tiny adjustments to the Australian players' thinking could have gone a long way to preventing today from ever occurring. All you have to do is look to Hussey vs Anderson in the first test for an example of what to do in testing conditions. The number one thing is not to get out.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    I wonder how the following would have done....

Watson
    Hughes
    Khawaja
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Haddin
    Hauritz
    Johnson
    Harris
    Siddle

...might have been enough to get us to 200, especially with Hauritz in batting form
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 26-12-2010 at 08:31 AM.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkallis View Post
    What did he say?
    Warne said "MacGill gets wickets even though he goes for lots of runs and often bowls poo"....or something close to that

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Warne said "MacGill gets wickets even though he goes for lots of runs and often bowls poo"....or something close to that
    Ah, the Sir Ian Botham effect

YouTube - Ian Botham 5 for 41 at the MCG Ashes 1986/7
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You know what got me the most out of today's play...

how many ****ing leg side/off the pitch wides Australia bowled.

This is professional cricket. Get it on the friggin pitch. Was so amateur.
    Only Aussie i felt sorry for today was Haddin, always feel for a keeper when dross like that goes against him.

Bun
    Banned
    Australia

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    No it is really really really fun
    Haha AWTA so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Banned
    Well, I guess it had to happen at some point; Hussey and Haddin can't keep bailing Australia out. It is quite clear that Australia's batting is the main problem, not the bowling. They have been collapsing far too frequently now for their bowlers to be able to do anything. Granted they were facing a brilliant attack in tough conditions, but getting bowled out for less than hundred is criminal. You can blame Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Johnson all you want, but there is little that can be done when you have less than a hundred runs to play with.

So, is there a way back for Australia in this test ? I would like to believe there is. Not that I am supporting Australia, but as a neutral I would like to see an evenly contested match rather than a one-sided affair. I will say one thing though - if there is one side that can comeback from a position like this, it is Australia. They were in a similar position against Pakistan at Leeds and did well to make a match out of it. It will take a massive, massive effort the the batsmen though. They are going to have to score at least a hundred more than whatever England manage in the first innings.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Am I the only one who thinks Smith's been underbowled? Was beating the bat more often than the pacers tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Banned
    You could say that in hindsight, but I think Ponting would have backed his fast bowlers more than Smith on that pitch. Unfortunately for him and Australia, they just didn't have enough runs on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rphin3 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Smith's been underbowled? Was beating the bat more often than the pacers tbh.
    Probably would've brought him on a fraction earlier (when Watson bowled) but otherwise no. It's not like he bowled a good spell and then got hooked.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Such a fun day/night of watching. I nearly stayed up for the entire thing. Cook double hundred tonight as well.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by M0rphin3 View Post
    Beating the bat? I thought he caught one edge and that was it...

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    An unbelievable start to the fourth Test, the day started well and got better and better until England
    found themselves in an exceptionally strong position.

Thought we bowled fantastically and then Cook and Strauss showed the surprisingly quiet Aussies how to bat on that track. Of course as good as England were, Australia were equally poor. The batting was very loose with little thought going into their batting plans. Their bowling was much less disciplined but the England openers were cautious yet quick to show the intent when necessary.

Bresnan in for Finn was perfect for me. Bowled a heavy ball, was very accurate and deserved his couple of wickets. Naturally Jimmy and Tremlett stole the headlines with their excellent performances, and rightly so.

For the Aussies the batting problems continued. Hughes and Smith look two players currently out of their depth. Hughes is woefully out of form while Smith is at the very least one place too high, but in reality shouldn't be anywhere near the side for his batting or bowling.

p.s. Happy Christmas everyone.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    **** you blokes in the huddle, smiling and carrying on. You want belting.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Thread Information