Page 70 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2574

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Also, association football examples in cricket threads should be barred. I have NFI what you're comparisons are trying to show half the time, Uppercut.
    "Association football"? When was Cricket Web transported to 19th-century Eton?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

z
    Not going to wear this **** from some **** who wasn't here to make a call and say someone has made a dud prediction at the time, then pops up 13.5 hours later to have a giggle.

Not surprising, but WAC. Buy me steak next year and I will forgive.
    Last edited by Burgey; 26-12-2010 at 05:33 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    For Ponting, for the past 4 years has averaged 38.40, 47.28, 38.77 and 39.15...that's not a form slump, that's a career slump.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous really.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    "Association football"? When was Cricket Web transported to 19th-century Eton?
    People usually complain when I call it soccer and I refuse to give it exclusive rights to a name shared by several other sports, so I generally go with "association football" these days.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Not going to wear this **** from some **** who wasn't here to make a call and say someone has made a dud prediction At the time, then pops up 13.5 hours later to have a giggle.

Not surprising, but WAC. Buy me steak next year and I will forgive.
    Will do it in the 5th test when you make a similar post.

And tbh I gave you warning via sms that I was going to look out for your posts

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Not a bad first shot there by Jackman.
    The whole Earl of Twirl thing is poor TV. I would refuse to participate in it if I was Shane Warne.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Look Jono you ****, that's fine and all, but now you're getting creepy.

Not Jimmy Anderson's hairstyle creepy, but still creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Obviously you pays your money...

Backing the status quo has its charms but there are also loads of cases of players looking better for being dropped: Johnson the most obvious example, but Strauss and Bell also came back better for spells out of the test XIs relatively recently.

& I wouldn't want to be seen to drop Ponting either, which was what I alluded to with my get out of jail free reference. He is injured, isn't scoring and isn't a great captain. He could've been removed with no loss of face on either side.
    Will point out now that if you drop Ponting, you retire him. Boom. Gone. It's not like dropping Johnson, who knew full well he could well be playing in the very next test, or Clarke in 05/6 when he's 23 or so. So the "he'll come back better" argument fails there.

As with Bell, what was his average when he was dropped? 40 or so? Hardly a proven banker. Clarke's average earlier this year was 52.
    Last edited by Spark; 26-12-2010 at 05:40 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Steve Smith stirs in me the same thoughts that I imagine Australians have about Ian Bell: "What the **** is this little nerd doing on a cricket pitch?"

You know what got me the most out of today's play...

how many ****ing leg side/off the pitch wides Australia bowled.

This is professional cricket. Get it on the friggin pitch. Was so amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Will point out now that if you drop Ponting, you retire him. Boom. Gone. It's not like dropping Johnson, who knew full well he could well be playing in the very next test, or Clarke in 05/6 when he's 23 or so. So the "he'll come back better" argument fails there.
    The real question though is when he loses the captaincy will he retire?

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's kinda sick to keep him in a job after kicking 80,000 Australians in the face on Boxing Day but the timing would be horrible because he's still a good ODI captain and there's a World Cup coming up next. Firing him from the test captaincy would most definitely have a negative impact on Australia's chances in India because his replacement would be Michael "what's an ODI?" Clarke, so letting him step down at the end of that tournament has to be the option.

Funny, it's Ponting's worst hour yet and after a couple of years of saying he should go I'm calling for him to keep his job.
    Yeap, it always becomes a little fuzzy once the theory gets to the point where it is almost about to become a reality, but it's still most likely to be the best answer. The Ashes may be gone, but a draw in the series isn't, I think punter deserves a boardroom shove rather than being turfed mid series. Waiting till the end of the WC is probably the right decision; unless of course he bangs on the door asking for backing (which G. Chappell gave, 2 more years, in the media during the week) and they tell him he wont be continuing at skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You know what got me the most out of today's play...

how many ****ing leg side/off the pitch wides Australia bowled.

This is professional cricket. Get it on the friggin pitch. Was so amateur.
    They were byes if you subscribe to the umpires' school of thought that modern day batsmen should be able to grow a two metre long bat from their backsides.

---

As for whether Ponting should keep the captaincy, it depends whether you think things will improve under Clarke (who almost certainly will be next). Bear in mind for the future captain of the side he's been surprisingly reluctant to actually act like one.
    Last edited by Spark; 26-12-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    They were byes if you subscribe to the umpires' school of thought that modern day batsmen should be able to grow a two metre long bat from their backsides.

---

As for whether Ponting should keep the captaincy, it depends whether you think things will improve under Clarke (who almost certainly will be next). Bear in mind for the future captain of the side he's been surprisingly reluctant to actually act like one.
    The most annoying thing about that was the fact that I'm sure people will use them against Haddin in six months when we have the biannual Haddin keeping debate.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 26-12-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Yeah noticed some of them were given as byes. Silly.

Thread Information