Page 63 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I say that as your fairweather countrymen don't turn up to see you get flogged. Remember Adelaide and Brisbane?
    They'll turn up. It's holidays here, not working time.

I'm trying to remember all those times England got rock and rolled in the 80s and 90s and the grounds were just overflowing. That's right, there weren't any.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You mean cricket grounds? Easily the MCG, Eden Gardens would be next with 82,000 capacity (thanks, wiki).
    Actually before renovations before 1987 world cup Eden Gardens had a capacity of over 120,000 ,but was reduced to about 90,000.

And now before the upcoming World Cup due to renovations it is expected to be reduced to 82,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    They'll turn up. It's holidays here, not working time.

I'm trying to remember all those times England got rock and rolled in the 80s and 90s and the grounds were just overflowing. That's right, there weren't any.
    We're pretty proud of our ability to turn up and faithfully watch our national side embarass themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hazsa19 View Post
    Do you have any idea how expensive and just plain impossible in terms of city planning it would be to expand Lords or the Oval or any of our grounds to the size of the MCG?
    Pssst.... If they want to grow the game, you play it elsewhere. Moreover it's an historical thing anyway. The first test was played at the MCG mate, in 1877. What, nothing doing since then? It's not a recent phenomenon. It would **** me to tears if I couldn't get a ticket to a game and the house full signs go up with 20,000 in.

Doesn't have to be an MCG sized ground. Is 40-50k just unheard of? Still have the joke-sized fields if you must, just improve the capacities FFS, or move the games to grounds with bigger capacities. Or, you know, build them...
    Last edited by Burgey; 26-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I say that as your fairweather countrymen don't turn up to see you get flogged. Remember Adelaide and Brisbane?
    You guys pay a day's wages to go and watch the cricket and don't have any beaches...what else are you going to do? We, on the other hand, like to exercise our options when the Australian team has none.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Regular
    Just a quick word to TumTum or whoever it is who comes on here bagging Steve Smith all the time.

Lay off, ****. Not in the mood.

I was actually coming here to ask how he bowled, didn't bother watching after tea.

So, er, possibly the worst day of Australian cricket I've seen in my lifetime? Possibly so.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Well you haven't lost yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So, er, possibly the worst day of Australian cricket I've seen in my lifetime? Possibly so.
    Possibly? Well, unless you're born in the pre Bradman era, of course..
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Well you haven't lost yet.
    Of course not, but as a single day of cricket...

Warne on MacGill

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post

I was actually coming here to ask how he bowled, didn't bother watching after tea.
    Actually bowled a decent over not long ago, but I was too busy answering these ****wits who complain there's no test match in Manchester when they live 45 minutes away from the new venue but say it's too far, then turn around and say "oh lol, they're only getting 40,000 to a day's play in Australia". Of course, they're monstrous lightweights, but there you go.

Played England, completely dominated the day. Bowled and batted very well. Much soul searching for our blokes required to even get save the game.
    Last edited by Burgey; 26-12-2010 at 12:53 AM.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Well, smith isn't all that bad it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Actually before renovations before 1987 world cup Eden Gardens had a capacity of over 120,000 ,but was reduced to about 90,000.

And now before the upcoming World Cup due to renovations it is expected to be reduced to 82,000.
    There was claims they got 120,000 people for a day's play for a Test match, but that was never official.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Actually bowled a decent over not long ago, but I was too busy answering these ****wits who complain there's no test match in Manchester when they live 45 minutes away from the new venue but say it's too far, then turn around and say "oh lol, they're only getting 40,000 to a day's play in Australia". Of course, they're monstrous lightweights, but there you go.

Played England, completely dominated the day. Bowled and batted very well. Much soul searching for our blokes required to even get save the game.
    Don't remember saying that

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    What a marvelous day's cricket. Brilliant display by one team, the other didn't bother turning up.

Bat all day tomorrow and win by an innings on day 3 to give the beach bums an extra couple of days by the seaside.

Thread Information