• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Stapel

International Regular
I'm standing by the Smith selection. It was an aggressive one and Australia still need another win. If Khawaja were to come in for anyone I'd prefer it for Hughes.
Too bad Smith didn't get a chance to bowl a few at the WACA.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England don't need to change their team at all tbh.
Finn is looking tired so they may choose Bresnan to bat at 8 and give more to the batting, Bresnan and Shahzad being shorty and skiddier will be better suited to a usual Melbourne pitch anyway.

Main change has to be Bell up to 5 and Colly down to 6.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
It'd be tough on Beer to be dropped from the squad, but there's no reason why the selectors couldn't have announced a 13 man squad.

I would not want to lose an Ashes series because the selectors were too stubborn to pick the best spinner in the country.
Didnt we lose last years ashes series because the selectors were too stubborn to select the best spinner in the country?

Woodster

International Captain
Yes as for the England side for the MCG, Bresnan in for Finn for me as the only change to the XI, and Bell and Colly to swap places in the batting order.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didnt we lose last years ashes series because the selectors were too stubborn to select the best spinner in the country?
I had tried to put that out of my memory, but yes, you're right.

Selectors are stupid some times.

vcs

I may have to revise my recent criticism of Finn. If he was carrying an injury of some sort, then probably I was too harsh.

TumTum

Banned
Finn looks like a bowler that gets easily flustered. Due to inexperience I suppose.

Interesting because recently we have been selecting aged bowlers, which is not a bad thing because most have performed from the start. But it becomes a problem because they don't last long, we really need to put faith in a youngster that would become part of the attack for at-least a decade.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bresnan for Finn would be a shocking move. If Finn's to be rested/dropped, then Shazad is the only option.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why would you drop your leading wicket taker? He may be expensive, but he's your leading wicket taker!!

Woodster

International Captain
Why would you drop your leading wicket taker? He may be expensive, but he's your leading wicket taker!!
It would seem a harsh move, but imo he hasn't bowled that well. In between the wickets he has struggled with his length and generally looked pretty average, throw in the fact he may be struggling with a niggle, and it does become a possibility. He's 21 and may be struggling with the workload.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Bresnan for Finn is a lulzworthy move, really. He's little better than a walking wicket but bowls utter tripe and I'm being generous here.

Woodster

International Captain
Going to defend Bresnan here, he would certainly give us more control than what Finn offers, he consistently bowls decent areas. Now don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting he's a world beater, but think he can nip out a few key wickets, bowl with discipline and work to plans, give Strauss more control and also add some depth to the batting. Think his experience gives him the edge over Shahzad in such a big game at Melbourne.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Finn's actually bowled better than I expected. He's been a key partnership breaker and rolled Australia's tail cheaply regularly. It's one thing to say he's got a lot of tailend wickets, but it's not like he's been letting them all score 30 odd before getting them (first innings in Perth excepted), so he's been doing a job. His wicket tally flatters him, but I think dropping him would an unnecessary gamble now, especially now that it's Bresnan and not Tremlett who'd be replacing him.

I think it's fair to say his wicket tally has benefited from the pressure built by England's other bowlers, but at the same time I don't think his economy rate really is a true indication of the accuracy he's bowled with either for the same reason. Australia have gone after him and he's leaked runs at times but he's been good enough to still be a threat despite that. I don't think we can say Brensan would definitely offer that if he was attacked in these conditions, and I'm a bigger fan of Bresnan than most.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Finn's actually bowled better than I expected. He's been a key partnership breaker and rolled Australia's tail cheaply regularly. It's one thing to say he's got a lot of tailend wickets, but it's not like he's been letting them all score 30 odd before getting them, so he's been doing a job. His wicket tally flatters him, but I think dropping him would an unnecessary gamble now, especially now that it's Bresnan and not Tremlett who'd be replacing him.

I think it's fair to say his wicket tally has benefited from the pressure built by England's other bowlers, but at the same time I don't think his economy rate really is a true indication of the accuracy he's bowled with either. Australia have gone after him and he's leaked runs at times but he's been good enough to still be a threat despite that. I don't think we can say Brensan would definitely offer that, and I'm a bigger fan of Bresnan than most.
The inclusion of Bresnan will allow us to use Tremlett as a more attacking bowler, he's had to bowl quite a few overs for Finn in this Test because of his economy. Bresnan as we know has the stamina to bowl long spells and economically, he may not look a particularly threatening bowler, but his control is key.

Tbh I think Finn's economy rate is a true indication of his accuracy, so many half volleys and half trackers, and most of them are getting punished, as is the case with top batsmen.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Good to see Aussies walking into this one with a higher level of confidence in there bowling department with Harris and Johnson in good form. I think Doug would be ideal as 3rd to replace Hilfi. Siddle should stay.....I guess the pitch is not going to be anywhere close to being the same but is there any hope of some movement in it?

Woodster

International Captain
According to today's papers they are changing the type of drop-in pitch originally requested as they thought it may be too dry, thus bringing Swann into the equation in a big way. It seems after Perth they are now after a quicker and bouncier pitch, understandably so, but cannot imagine it'll be a replica of what we've just seen at the WACA.

Burgey

According to today's papers they are changing the type of drop-in pitch originally requested as they thought it may be too dry, thus bringing Swann into the equation in a big way. It seems after Perth they are now after a quicker and bouncier pitch, understandably so, but cannot imagine it'll be a replica of what we've just seen at the WACA.
Pitch has been in since October.

"Bollocks!" cries the nation that turned the fastest pitch in England to Chemnai day four in 2009.