Page 6 of 172 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Nah, I'd be very encouraged if they did so because it would indicate the ability to admit it when they've made a mistake.
    There's been absolutely no evidence to change their mind based on though. It'd just show they really did have absolutely no idea.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    If Siddle is picked, I reckon he should be promoted to 9 and switch with rhino. Seems to have good discipline and can aid a batsman at the other end better.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    It's unlikely tbh - the cantering staff for all the major grounds in Australia wrote, signed and sent a letter to Cricket Australia which pretty much said that if Mark Cosgrove ever plays test cricket in Australia, Cricket Australia must pay for the food consumed by Mark Cosgrove during the match as their budgets just can't afford it. Bit of a bummer for Mark but hey that's politics for you

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Still not too worried despite the loss in Perth, as it was largely down to Australia's bowling being outstanding. Their batting still isn't standing up, every innings Australia have batted, it's been Hussey and one other that's stood up and been counted - Australia's batting hasn't been strong enough to mask any deficiencies in the bowling - and that's despite England's bowling being solid rather than outstanding.

If Harris and Johnson rock up in Melbourne and bowl like they did, we'll get thrashed again. If they don't - and it's a big if - then what I've seen from Australia doesn't worry me.

Interesting though, that apparently the broadcasters have been asked to move their cameras at the G. Wonder how the new pitch will play - what's the MCG been like in Shield games?

As in, move the cameras from normal positions? Maybe it just means that the normal Test match wicket is not going to get up, and they are going to use a different one. Long term planning leads to the middle-most pitch usually being used for Test cricket, but could understand the change with the enormous amount of rain that we've had in Melbourne.

The conspiracy theorist would say that it's because they've moved the pitch to a faster track after the success in Perth, and the disappointing efforts of England in that game and against SAfrica on a quick track.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    As in, move the cameras from normal positions? Maybe it just means that the normal Test match wicket is not going to get up, and they are going to use a different one. Long term planning leads to the middle-most pitch usually being used for Test cricket, but could understand the change with the enormous amount of rain that we've had in Melbourne.

The conspiracy theorist would say that it's because they've moved the pitch to a faster track after the success in Perth, and the disappointing efforts of England in that game and against SAfrica on a quick track.
    Dunno, presumably the pitch that was going to be used has changed, for whatever reason.

I think the Sky boys suspect a bit of skullduggery on your part - that the curator is tryig to prepare a quicker wicket after Perth and our efforts in Johannesburg.

Which is why I'm asking what the MCG tends to play like in the Shield, if it's not normally a spicy wicket then I doubt the curator will manage to produce one in a week, unless he leaves it woefully underdone.

It's renowned for generally being a slow pooper, doesn't really make for great cricket; becomes a bit of a grind. It's sort of how all the Tests have been recently, although a little bit of movement has been in the offing.

I honestly believe that it would probably be more for the rain reasons, it's been an unprecedented summer of rain down here.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah, the MCG is a horrible wicket.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Series decider in Sydney then?

Why is Sydney starting on the 3rd this time? Is it because the 2nd falls on a Sunday?

U19 Cricketer
    best time for batting at the G is day 1. Bowling can really be tough and the batters can make merry. Day 2 and 3 become variable, and could see rhino'n'jonno, or guys like tremlett, causing trouble

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post

Why is Sydney starting on the 3rd this time? Is it because the 2nd falls on a Sunday?
    na there'll be a result. by horrible cricket he means **** slow scoring, with wickets falling due to pitch variation and lack of bounce, and people beign outfoxed due to changes in pace of the pitch.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Beer being selected again is an absolute joke....he just took 0-52 off 11 overs vs Tasmania and has a record of 7 games, 46 runs @ 9.20, HS 24* and 16 wkts @ 43.31 with BB 3-39

....meanwhile Hauritz in his 6th game this year so far has 332 runs @ 47.42 with 2 centuries and 15 wkts @ 25.80 with BB 5-39

I'd be happy if they play the 4 quicks though

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    If Siddle is picked, I reckon he should be promoted to 9 and switch with rhino. Seems to have good discipline and can aid a batsman at the other end better.
    Harris can bat though with a FC average of 19 and HS of 94 (vs Siddle with HS 38)....although Harris hasn't shown it at Test level yet....

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I think if Ponting is fit to play, Khawaja should be brought in for Smith as I don't recall the MCG assisting spinners that much.. it's more a pace-friendly wicket IIRC. Batting order will have to be reshuffled, but Australia should go in with their 6 best batsmen and 4 best bowlers IMO. Relying too heavily on Watson, Hussey and Haddin to score runs at the moment.
    I'm standing by the Smith selection. It was an aggressive one and Australia still need another win. If Khawaja were to come in for anyone I'd prefer it for Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post

The ACA (Aus Cricketer's Association, which represents the players) I believe has an understanding with CA (Cricket Australia) that there will be at least three full day's break between Tests. The Sydney Test always used to start on the 2nd, but has started on the 3rd for the past couple of years and will continue to do so.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Page 6 of 172 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information