• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Disagree massively. Ponting and Clarke would have had massive reasons to complain given what they've done in the past - and in Clarke's case the fairly recent past - especially given how Hussey has been treated for two years, and the results thereof.
Should have qualified it with 'based on this series alone.'

I include Watson in that, because he's been culpable for bad batting performances by getting out cheaply before getting a big score. Look at Adelaide - Ponting and Clarke at least got good balls early on - what was Watson's excuse for getting out the way he did after getting to 50?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Basing any selection policy on one series alone is ridiculous within itself though, particularly when it's not even over yet.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why are so many people complaining about the bowling ?

It's the batting that's the problem. It has been all series and has been inconsistent for the last two - three years.

And it is worse now Katich is out.
Would say both are the problem myself. Inconsistency in both areas just kills us.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Basing any selection policy on one series alone is ridiculous within itself though, particularly when it's not even over yet.
Disagree, tbh. Knee jerk reactions are bad, but 2-3 tests is more than enough to see if someone's in form and/or up to the job. It's that sort of thinking that kept North in a gig for so long.

Ponting gave the selectors a "get out of jail free" card by cracking his pinky and, tbh, it was a nettle that might've been better to have been grasped. Not contributing as batsman or captain just now.

Redbacks

International Captain
Ponting gave the selectors a "get out of jail free" card by cracking his pinky and, tbh, it was a nettle that might've been better to have been grasped. Not contributing as batsman or captain just now.
Even after all the things the selectors have done wrong. Not backing in one of our all-time greats would be the worst decision they could make this summer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was a comment on how badly they've all batted, not a calling for dropping them. I don't want Australia to risk picking a batsman who might score runs. :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
If you have to point the finger at one person for our (impending) loss in this series, it is definately Ponting. His performance has just been incredibly poor by anyone's standards, let alone a champion of the game. At least Clarke has made 80-odd in a pressure situation, Ponting has only made a 50 in the context of a certain draw, where his contribution wasn't even required.

Something has to change with Ponting after this series. I still believe he has a revival in him as a batsmen (much like Hussey), but it doesn't look to be coming in the current circumstances. Either his captaincy needs to be revoked, he stays captain but drops down the order or he loses both the captaincy and drops down the order. I don't really know which would benefit the team the most...but something has to happen.