• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As in, move the cameras from normal positions? Maybe it just means that the normal Test match wicket is not going to get up, and they are going to use a different one. Long term planning leads to the middle-most pitch usually being used for Test cricket, but could understand the change with the enormous amount of rain that we've had in Melbourne.

The conspiracy theorist would say that it's because they've moved the pitch to a faster track after the success in Perth, and the disappointing efforts of England in that game and against SAfrica on a quick track.
Dunno, presumably the pitch that was going to be used has changed, for whatever reason.

I think the Sky boys suspect a bit of skullduggery on your part - that the curator is tryig to prepare a quicker wicket after Perth and our efforts in Johannesburg.

Which is why I'm asking what the MCG tends to play like in the Shield, if it's not normally a spicy wicket then I doubt the curator will manage to produce one in a week, unless he leaves it woefully underdone.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's renowned for generally being a slow pooper, doesn't really make for great cricket; becomes a bit of a grind. It's sort of how all the Tests have been recently, although a little bit of movement has been in the offing.

I honestly believe that it would probably be more for the rain reasons, it's been an unprecedented summer of rain down here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Series decider in Sydney then?

Why is Sydney starting on the 3rd this time? Is it because the 2nd falls on a Sunday?

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
best time for batting at the G is day 1. Bowling can really be tough and the batters can make merry. Day 2 and 3 become variable, and could see rhino'n'jonno, or guys like tremlett, causing trouble

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain

Why is Sydney starting on the 3rd this time? Is it because the 2nd falls on a Sunday?
na there'll be a result. by horrible cricket he means **** slow scoring, with wickets falling due to pitch variation and lack of bounce, and people beign outfoxed due to changes in pace of the pitch.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Beer being selected again is an absolute joke....he just took 0-52 off 11 overs vs Tasmania and has a record of 7 games, 46 runs @ 9.20, HS 24* and 16 wkts @ 43.31 with BB 3-39

....meanwhile Hauritz in his 6th game this year so far has 332 runs @ 47.42 with 2 centuries and 15 wkts @ 25.80 with BB 5-39

:@

I'd be happy if they play the 4 quicks though :)

aussie tragic

International Captain
If Siddle is picked, I reckon he should be promoted to 9 and switch with rhino. Seems to have good discipline and can aid a batsman at the other end better.
Harris can bat though with a FC average of 19 and HS of 94 (vs Siddle with HS 38)....although Harris hasn't shown it at Test level yet....

Julian87

State Captain
I think if Ponting is fit to play, Khawaja should be brought in for Smith as I don't recall the MCG assisting spinners that much.. it's more a pace-friendly wicket IIRC. Batting order will have to be reshuffled, but Australia should go in with their 6 best batsmen and 4 best bowlers IMO. Relying too heavily on Watson, Hussey and Haddin to score runs at the moment.
I'm standing by the Smith selection. It was an aggressive one and Australia still need another win. If Khawaja were to come in for anyone I'd prefer it for Hughes.

howardj

International Coach

The ACA (Aus Cricketer's Association, which represents the players) I believe has an understanding with CA (Cricket Australia) that there will be at least three full day's break between Tests. The Sydney Test always used to start on the 2nd, but has started on the 3rd for the past couple of years and will continue to do so.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ACA (Aus Cricketer's Association, which represents the players) I believe has an understanding with CA (Cricket Australia) that there will be at least three full day's break between Tests. The Sydney Test always used to start on the 2nd, but has started on the 3rd for the past couple of years and will continue to do so.
Fair enough, better for the players anyway.

howardj

International Coach
The drop in Test pitches at the MCG have actually improved quite a bit in recent years.

Though they'll probably never have the same natural properties - genuine pace and bounce (other than trampoline bounce) or raging turn - that pure wicket blocks can produce.

But they've become very serviceable in recent years however.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure it's just the ACA to be honest, think it's all internataional cricket (which is why we now get games starting on Wednesdays over here)

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
With Aus picking the same squad for Melbourne I think that Beer will be left out again. You couldn't pick him over Siddle. That said Smith is not good enough to be the solo spinner so I think it will be disasterous. The selectors should have swallowed their pride and picked Hauritz or even Holland if they're desperate for left arm orthodox. Selectors aren't known for doing that though.

England cannot drop Collingwood as he provides the extra overs as 5th bowler. They could replace him with a bowler, say Bresnan, who can bat a bit. Their tail will be a bit long though. Prior is not going that well to say that he could bat at 6. Collingwood is also one of the best fielders in the world so as a package has to stay.

howardj

International Coach
Not sure it's just the ACA to be honest, think it's all internataional cricket (which is why we now get games starting on Wednesdays over here)
That's what I thought too, but then I saw that SA v Ind is starting on 2 January.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm standing by the Smith selection. It was an aggressive one and Australia still need another win. If Khawaja were to come in for anyone I'd prefer it for Hughes.
Asking him to open on his debut might not be the best idea.. anyway it depends on the nature of the MCG wicket and whether the captain has faith in Smith's bowling to deliver when needed.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not the line Swann is having problems with IMO - just outside off, which he's been mostly - it's the length. Slightly full and Hussey is to the pitch and driving/clipping, too short and he cuts or pulls - mostly pulls. So refreshing to see someone else do it.