• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

hazsa19

International Regular
He tried to drive the thing (or playing an attacking shot of some description)...are you talking about Ponting or Hughes?

The ball Bresnan bowled was well outside off.
I'm talking about Ponting.

The Hughes dismissal was just terrible. The right length for a bowler, but it shouldn't be hard to leave it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets face it Bresnan has done a steady job so far. He is a steady cricketer and has done a useful job, he isn't a great player but also isn't as bad as he is made out on here.

Uppercut

:blink:

Have no idea what this comment is about...

If it was a late cut, then I'm Donald Duck.

Don't think Hughes was forced to do anything, he chose to try to blast a ball through the off-side. There may well have been movement that made him mistime his shot, but he was never forced to play it.

If Bresnan got some movement that fooled Hughes then he did well, but I don't think it excuses that sort of shot being played first up. Bresnan did bowl well from that point onwards too.
Scores most off his runs off deliveries like that tbf.

Hughes is such a screwed-up batsman that you can't really judge him for the shots he chooses to play, as ugly as it looks when they don't come off. Fair play to call him out on the execution though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm talking about Ponting.

The Hughes dismissal was just terrible. The right length for a bowler, but it shouldn't be hard to leave it.
**** me dead...no wonder this was getting confusing. Brumby and I were talking about the shot Hughes played before.

Totally agree, and said the Ponting ball was a good one earlier.

TumTum

Banned

Hughes is such a screwed-up batsman that you can't really judge him for the shots he chooses to play, as ugly as it looks when they don't come off. Fair play to call him out on the execution though.
I thought he nailed it at the point of contact, but edged it to gully. Meh.

Son Of Coco

Yeah, I agree. Said before that it's exactly what he did to Tremlett first over and he got 10 runs. Unfortunately, it looks bad when he gets out and you wonder whether it's not smart to just let the first one go and see what it does.

If it'd gone to the boundary at a million miles an hour and he'd taken 12 off the rest of the over though I'd be saying how brilliant he was.

flibbertyjibber

Think he will always be a bit like Gower, will get a massive amount of runs flashing outside off stump but it will also be his downfall on numerous occasions and he will get slaughtered for it. He obviously isn't in the same class as Gower but the looseness outside off stump and almost laziness of dismissal is similar.

hazsa19

International Regular
**** me dead...no wonder this was getting confusing. Brumby and I were talking about the shot Hughes played before.

Totally agree, and said the Ponting ball was a good one earlier.
:laugh: apologies, only had a couple of hours sleep last night.

Do Australians realistically think Hughes is a long-term opener?

What happened to Jaques? I'm sure he was being bigged up by Aussies on forums like this 4 years ago. I think he smashed our bowlers all over the place in a Presidents XI game.

Son Of Coco

:laugh: apologies, only had a couple of hours sleep last night.

Do Australians realistically think Hughes is a long-term opener?

What happened to Jaques? I'm sure he was being bigged up by Aussies on forums like this 4 years ago. I think he smashed our bowlers all over the place in a Presidents XI game.
Haha, no worries. Was thinking that the time of the day over there might have had something to do with it.

I think Jaques got injured. I'm not sure what the mindset is re: Hughes as I haven't been in Oz much the last few year to follow it. I'm sure someone else will be able to fill you in though. It seems like they've picked him when he's not in great form though, going on his FC season this year thus far.

Uppercut

Yeah, I agree. Said before that it's exactly what he did to Tremlett first over and he got 10 runs. Unfortunately, it looks bad when he gets out and you wonder whether it's not smart to just let the first one go and see what it does.

If it'd gone to the boundary at a million miles an hour and he'd taken 12 off the rest of the over though I'd be saying how brilliant he was.
It pains me that this is your test opener we're talking about. He basically plays loosely outside off and sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't. And doesn't really have any scoring shots to the balls in any other areas, against which he always looks distinctly uncomfortable.

I don't think I've ever expected less of a player with such a good record.

Son Of Coco

It pains me that this is your test opener we're talking about. He basically plays loosely outside off and sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't. And doesn't really have any scoring shots to the balls in any other areas, against which he always looks distinctly uncomfortable.

I don't think I've ever expected less of a player with such a good record.
Would definitely prefer someone more dependable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why does Test Match Sofa refer to Smith as "piggy"? It’s not big or clever.
There is a slightly porcine quality to the boy's fizzog, tbf.

Warne doing his bit for the Victorian spinners' union here. & he does have a point too for my quid.

Smith gone. Jesus, not a test six's arse, frankly.

Craig

World Traveller
I think I would leave Smith out for Sydney (unless he takes some wickets or scores some runs in the 2nd dig) and bring in Usman Khawaja.