• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Presuming we clean up the English tail in under an hour, I cannot wait for this test. It's going to have an awesome atmosphere going in at 1 all

Ruckus

International Captain
I think in this test it will be crucial for us to win the toss and make a big total batting first. I just can't see England being rolled for less than 200 three times in a row.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
With the way the weather has been it will be interesting if five days of play are possible at the MCG.

Club cricket has been ruined this season by so much rain. My local club would barely have played half the available days. It is raining yet again today and wouldn't be 20c outside.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's a good chance of rain on Boxing Day itself (which would suck) and there might be a bit on Day 2 but not much for the rest.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With the way the weather has been it will be interesting if five days of play are possible at the MCG.

Club cricket has been ruined this season by so much rain. My local club would barely have played half the available days. It is raining yet again today and wouldn't be 20c outside.
Very true. Reckon there's a big chance of us being one all going to Sydney.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah OK. I'm looking at the 28-day rain forecast. Granted that that's not entirely accuratae.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
johnson bowls well on these slow low pitches- this is where his cutters will come in handy.

dunno how finn will bowl down here, a lack of variation on a slow pitch may be an issue. bring in shahzad- pace goes well in melbourne, especially in the second innings.

swann has to bowl well i'd think if they're to take 20 wickets.

Punter and Hughes to ton up on day 1, Johnson and Siddle to bowl well against the demoralised england top order.

Watch out for pietersen, its just the type of pitch he'd enjoy

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
siddle out
jon holland in
na siddle bowled beautifully here 2 years ago. on a low pitch with a bit of variation, he attacks the stumps with hostility.

jon holland/any spinner besides hauritz will offer nothing- a wasted position.
Pick the best four bowlers in the country

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Unless they decide to pick Hauritz I'd prefer the same bowling attack honestly. Need to pick our best 4 bowlers

Spark

Global Moderator
Same bowling attack or Hauritz in for Siddle/Hilf. Would prefer Hauritz in for Hilf myself.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think one of Hilfenhaus or Siddle should be replaced (preferably with Bollinger) but it's hard to pick which one. On one hand Hilfenhaus has been keeping things tight, but just doesn't take enough wickets in a spell, whilst Siddle has been a bit erratic but has the potential to have a devastating spell like at the Gabba. I'd probably drop Hilf, because the MCG will likely be pretty damn good for batting and we are going to need proper wicket takers.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Most were impressed by hilf's performance but he should still be in a bit of doubt for Melbourne. He was great in tandem with Mitch on day 2 but should the roles need to be reversed he just doesn't have a good enough strike rate to warrant selection. I'm sure with the pressure off a 'bigger picture' look will be made for the G

Last edited:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I think one of Hilfenhaus or Siddle should be replaced (preferably with Bollinger) but it's hard to pick which one. On one hand Hilfenhaus has been keeping things tight, but just doesn't take enough wickets in a spell, whilst Siddle has been a bit erratic but has the potential to have a devastating spell like at the Gabba. I'd probably drop Hilf, because the MCG will likely be pretty damn good for batting and we are going to need to take wickets.
what makes you think bollinger wont be undercooked/rubbish like in adelaide. hes only played 10 tests or so and maybe his good form there was the 'off-day' as opposed to his bad form. He's done not much in recent memory to command a position. If it aint broke dont fix it

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Hilfenhaus played a perfect role in the match. He's not picking up the wickets, but he keeps it tight and works perfectly in a 4 man pace attack. If, however, they were to consider a spinner (Hauritz hopefully????), I might have to re-evaluate my stance.