• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm glad we're bowling too. Now that Katich is out of this side, I enjoy watching all the Aussies in the top order bat bar Haddin. I think Bres could have a good game if it swings too. He also boosts that lower order, which looked a lot weaker in the last game without Broad. I like the selection, though if Finn was actually 100% fit and healthy he'd be in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good decision by Strauss to insert the filth, saves him worrying about whether to make them follow on.

We'll be batting by tea.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No way! Would rather watch Jimmy, Tremlett and Swann than Straus, Cook and Trott.
Completely disagree. I don't find any of the England team particularly good to watch bat other than Bell and Prior, and neither of them are sighted until four down. The rest of them are quite technically awkward. Pietersen obviously has appeal to most (but not me), but the top three wouldn't be near the top of many people's aesthetic shortlists IMO (and before someone misinterprets me, I'm not saying they aren't good players).

Watching Jimmeh, Swanneh and Tremlett bowl is awesome though IMO. Especially when you combine it with Watto's mandatory awesome-looking fifty.

Purely a personal thing obviously, but that's how I see it.
Probably shouldn't have said this England team. For no particular reason, I almost always prefer watching the team I'm supporting bat, regardless of who is actually in the line up.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well then they weren't thinking at all about the game. It's a massive risk to bowl first in Perth. He took his best bowler out of the game as a real threat when he did so too.
Yeah. At least when Ponting decided to bowl first in Edbaston, we only lost the game by a couple of runs, not an innings.

Was kind of hoping that Strauss was going to win the toss and bat first here tbh, would have liked to see us getting stuck into the poms early.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Well then they weren't thinking at all about the game. It's a massive risk to bowl first in Perth. He took his best bowler out of the game as a real threat when he did so too.
Point taken, but isn't Perth generally regarded as a bit of a graveyard for spinners? Hence, possibly, Strauss, choosing to bowl first because he figured that Swann was, perhaps, less likely, to have a major impact on the match. Anyway, personally, I still like the decision. Reckon we've got a big chance of getting the Aussies three or four down by lunch with the green pitch and the moisture in the atmosphere. However England need Bresnan to at least provide a good economical supporting rule and not gift runs Finn-style.

I'm ridiculously excited for this match, more than I ever was even in 2005.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This Australian anthem is a joke. Why does a country that insignificant even have an anthem?

Hope they all watched the Queen's Speech before anyway.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Point taken, but isn't Perth generally regarded as a bit of a graveyard for spinners? Hence, possibly, Strauss, choosing to bowl first because he figured that Swann was, perhaps, less likely, to have a major impact on the match. Anyway, personally, I still like the decision. Reckon we've got a big chance of getting the Aussies three or four down by lunch with the green pitch and the moisture in the atmosphere. However England need Bresnan to at least provide a good economical supporting rule and not gift runs Finn-style.

I'm ridiculously excited for this match, more than I ever was even in 2005.
I think Bresnan will bowl well, personally.

And yeah, can see the point on Perth. Just not a fan of bowling first personally in Australian conditions as a rule.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, Perth pretty much takes Swanneh out of the game regardless though. Don't think his decision at the toss in that match was especially consequential.

JBH001

International Regular
Bresnan in for Finn? Strauss sending Australia in? Dodgy decisions for mine.

Edit/ Although Bresnan will probably offer more control than that sieve, Finn. I still think Strauss should have batted though and allowed Swann last crack.

Edit 2/ I am pretty excited though. I wish I was there!

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
Not sure about winning the toss and inserting the Aussies. Seems a bit negative to me, probably brought on by thoughts of Johnson with the new ball - but there's every chance the Mitch that turns up will be of the Brisbane variety rather than that of Perth.