Page 15 of 172 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Shazhad is just so inexperienced, though. At least Bresnan has played on the big stage, and with some success.
    Bangladesh and being a liability in the 20/20 WC...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Shazhad is just so inexperienced, though. At least Bresnan has played on the big stage, and with some success.
    Shazad might have played only one Test vs Bangladesh, but his skittling of the lower order in that Test was more impressive than anything Bresnan has ever done.

Bresnan's record looks reasonable for a n00b, until you realise he's only faced West Indies and Bangladesh.

What's the Shahzad like? I take it he is a promising and real quick? I saw a bit of Bresnan when England toured Bangladesh (I was in SL at the time) and wasn't all that impressed. He seems just an honest trier and that only gets you so far for so long.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    What's the Shahzad like? I take it he is a promising and real quick? I saw a bit of Bresnan when England toured Bangladesh (I was in SL at the time) and wasn't all that impressed. He seems just an honest trier and that only gets you so far for so long.
    No doubt in my mind Shahzad is already the better bowler. Not absolutely express, but possessed of the sort of Simon Jones/Shane Bond, slippery, swingy kind of pace. Bowls high 80s/low 90s regularly. Probably our quickest bowler in the squad. Not tall (well, as fast bowlers go) so bowls a wicket-to-wicket line and threatens the stumps a lot.

Reverses the old ball and shapes his deliveries nicely back into left handers before the ball leaves them; with Hussey proved a massive pain in the aris this could be crucial.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Shazad might have played only one Test vs Bangladesh, but his skittling of the lower order in that Test was more impressive than anything Bresnan has ever done.

Bresnan's record looks reasonable for a n00b, until you realise he's only faced West Indies and Bangladesh.
    Hmm, I dunno, I know Austraia's batting is pretty rubbish atm, but just because Shazhad bowled well at Bangladesh's tail... He was also rubbish in his first spell against the top order iirc.

I don't dispute that Shazhad is the better long term prospect, I just think Bresnan is a more reliable pick for a match starting this week.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Doesn't seem to lack confidence either, and good for a few runs - I think he's a great prospect, his county of origin notwithstanding

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    No doubt in my mind Shahzad is already the better bowler. Not absolutely express, but possessed of the sort of Simon Jones/Shane Bond, slippery, swingy kind of pace. Bowls high 80s/low 90s regularly. Probably our quickest bowler in the squad. Not tall (well, as fast bowlers go) so bowls a wicket-to-wicket line and threatens the stumps a lot.
    Looks quite a bit short of Shane Bond's heat IMO.

Some people s****** at the supposedly illusory concept of "momentum" but I have to admit I'm pessimistic about our chances of bouncing back on Boxing Day, in front of 90,000 pissed up convicts, from the old-style whipping we received at Perth. I know that this England team is capable of bouncing back, they've done it a number of times before, and that this Aussie team is every bit as inconsistent as we are, but somehow it doesn't feel likely atm.
    Last edited by zaremba; 22-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Just wondering if Greg Chappell is going to rest or rotate Harris or Johnson for this Test, considering his explanation for Johnson's Adelaide ommission. lol
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Some people s****** at the supposedly illusory concept of "momentum" but I have to admit I'm pessimistic about our chances of bouncing back on Boxing Day, in front of 90,000 pissed up convicts, from the old-style whipping we received at Perth. I know that this England team is capable of bouncing back, they've done it a number of times before, and that this Aussie team is every bit as inconsistent as we are, but somehow it doesn't feel likely atm.
    How many Aussies were confident of the comeback they'd make from Adelaide though?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

None. And I felt this way before the 5th Test in 2009 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    None. And I felt this way before the 5th Test in 2009 as well.
    Lies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Lies
    There may have been some. TBF, they are hard to count, just like undetected sex offenders, rats or flies

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Hmm, I dunno, I know Austraia's batting is pretty rubbish atm, but just because Shazhad bowled well at Bangladesh's tail... He was also rubbish in his first spell against the top order iirc.

I don't dispute that Shazhad is the better long term prospect, I just think Bresnan is a more reliable pick for a match starting this week.
    It's still more than anything Bresnan's done at international level. You'd be as well asking Collingwood to fill in as the 3rd seamer.

I remember when Bresnan played against us in the ODIs in our winter. He got carted by, well, basically everyone. And our batting lineup was misfiring so badly Clarke was our best bat ffs.

If Bresnan comes in for Finn I wouldn't mind one bit.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Thread Information